Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[RELEASED] Dawn of The Lost

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Dawn of the Lost: Community Vote

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:13

No votes
No votes
7%
No votes
20%
27%
27%
20%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Dawn of The Lost

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 18:50

I can't play this. When I tried to unzip the package I get this:

! C:\Users\User\Downloads\DOTL.zip: Unknown method in DOTLB1readme.txt
! C:\Users\User\Downloads\DOTL.zip: Unknown method in DOTL_Level1.unr
! C:\Users\User\Downloads\DOTL.zip: No files to extract

And I can't do anything further. :?

User avatar Master_Unreal
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 19:19

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 20:00

That worked fine, thanks.

[spoiler]Not much to say about the level as not much has been finished, the area felt quite empty (needs things in the houses at least). I did like fetching the bible and running screaming as I was pursued by lots of Skaarj.
Add in the other cool stuff you mentioned (like multiple routes) and this will be very good. :tup:[/spoiler]

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 22:11

I got the same problem too originally...couldn't extract the files. But i thought it was just me since Turbo was able to extract them fine.

Glad there is a working link though now.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 09:11

I just played it...
[spoiler]I can only repeat what the others said: It's a pity that most of the houses were empty or, respectively, a copy of the first house. Also, the whole scenery was empty: No rabbits, cows or other little details that could make the way to the Nali with the bible interesting. I liked the idea of fetching the bible and I was shocked when the Skaarj arrived, a memorable moment :tup: . It is cool that you made different exits. However, I wouldn't make the exit in the cave accessible from the beginning. When I played the map for the first time I found myself wondering that the map was already completed before anything could happen. Ina in all, with a touch of liveliness the map could be a good prelude to an interesting SP campaign.[/spoiler]
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 16:07

editor Dave wrote:I just played it...

Hmm interesting that you mention [spoiler]the cave, because when i played it, i couldn't get the ending at the cave, i stumbled into a dead end there and just assumed it was unfinished[/spoiler]

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 19:58

[spoiler]Another short level that's more like a proof of concept as it is. The concept is a nice idea though, although the houses and buildings could be more varied, and I think there could be more tasks to do in the village before the Skaarj come (that might be due to the level being unfinished though). Also, while they seem avoidable, if you do the priest's house later having to fight three snipers at once is ridiculous on Unreal difficulty and pretty much requires reloading until you get lucky. The overall atmosphere is nice though, and having multiple routes to next level sounds like it could be interesting.

Edit: I noticed a couple of the details and houses were floating above the ground too.[/spoiler]
Formerly Mman

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 13:24

Again Mman's spoiler expresses my opinion.
On Medium is was doable but on Hard I needed three tries, I doubt I can make it on Unreal in one go (well not unless my aim improves drastically).

But, of all the contest maps I have played up to now , this one itches in all the right places. It's unfinished (as mentioned by others) but potentially you've got a memorable map(pack) here and even in it's incompleteness, I can see this map as a potential winner (don't bloat yet, I've still got 4 or 5 maps to play :lol: ).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 22:13

Cast my vote and this map comes in third for me, together with LS222's entry. I know, it's probably a strange decision seeing this one is massive compared to LS222's entry but gameplay is rough here whereas I thought LS222's gameplay was almost perfect.

Previous