This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[RELEASED] Dawn of The Lost

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Dawn of the Lost: Community Vote

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:13

No votes
No votes
7%
No votes
20%
27%
27%
20%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

User avatar Master_Unreal
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: [RELEASED] Dawn of The Lost

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 01:00

Less than a year ago, you were in the clutches of the Skaarj, trapped aboard their Prison Starship. You managed to sneak out of your cell during a power outage and you were able to find a Skaarj Fighter Jet. Having previous experience in a Fighter Jet, you decided to take your chances and break out of the prison. However, there was only enough fuel to get to a safe distance.........and maybe out-manuver the Prison Ship's defenses. Inevitably, you eventually ran out of fuel, this was not going to be a nice landing. While the landing was not the most pleasant experience, you woke up in a bed....and not a bed in the dreaded Prison Ship, You woke up to realize you were safe in a Nali's home. The Nali healed you and kept you there for what seemed like weeks. You started to grow attached to the Nali, and lived among them in their daily lives. When the Nali decided you were healed well enough to be on your way, Something inside you decided otherwise......You did not want to leave, but instead live with the Nali for as long as possible. The Nali there agreed to this, and in turn, raised you as one of their own. They taught you their traditions and customs, they taught you how to live as if you were a Nali. Tomorrow is the Dawn of The 6th Sun. In Human's terms, it is the "New Year" for the Nali. Past Sins and Crimes are to be forgiven, but never forgotten. The Nali celebrate the many blessings that their gods have given them. You must help the town, along with the Nali residing there, to prepare for this great event.

Screenshots might come soon, depends on how long setting up the buildings and such will take.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Dawn of The Lost

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 02:29

I always liked Nali villages. Can't wait to see more! :D

Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011, 05:22

It's not much but at least it gives some idea of what's to come

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011, 09:19

GREAT atmosphere.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011, 13:16

I have to ask: what's up with your editor? Toolbar seems like you replaced the Ued2 button images with Ued1 counterparts, but what about the 2D viewport? Just threw me off with that one a bit :o

Also, that village shot looks terrific. One thing I might suggest is making the sun texture special lit so you can use a light to tone down its brightness or something. At the moment it looks like a searchlight, whereas nothing on the ground reflects that there is too bright a sun there to begin with. Atmospherically, that's about it. Every thing else is just so tauntingly adventurous (in the sense of early-in-the-morning shenanigans the player would be getting in to). From what I've seen from some of your other works, I'm hoping this will be as pleasing as it looks.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011, 01:33

I decided to get creative with the editor and took about 30 minutes to change all the icons in the editorres folder to icons that resemble ued1, When I opened the editor in the 97 beta I actually found myself wanting the same grid settings for ued2.1, so I set them to be as close as I could get, hehe :)

I changed the lighting quite a bit, the idea there was to wake up next to a river after "a hard days work" helping the nali. The idea I was going for was that you actually interact with the nali quite a bit, but I would spend too much time thinking about what you could do to help, so instead I just pushed the timeline back to the morning before the big event rather than the night before. Hence this happened, the idea I had with the lighting was to give a real early morning effect

Updated version of the screenshot before

Some other stuff

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011, 08:56

Shot is better with trees :tup:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011, 10:12

One of the best uses of those trees I have seen in ages. :tup:

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 01 May 2011, 07:12

Legendslayer222 wrote:One of the best uses of those trees I have seen in ages. :tup:

Have to agree they make a nice use

Post Posted: 05 May 2011, 01:34

Still working at it here, wrapping up the first level as of now. It's a bit short but it has a very very large part in the mappack

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 05 May 2011, 10:49

Am I the only one who thinks it looks better without trees? o.o

Anyway, nice environment MU, although I did prefer the skybox in the first pic too :P (I'll stop pissing on your bonfire now)

Kaka

Post Posted: 06 May 2011, 13:35

Looks good (both w/wo trees). Though its also the lighting that makes the difference in both shots. If i had to choose id choose the first one ( oldskool unreal vibe).

Post Posted: 07 May 2011, 21:13

Did yet another color based change, this one will probably be final

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 08 May 2011, 02:57

They were all moody, but this one probably nails the atmosphere. While the first one was really unique, I don't think it conveys the atmosphere you described.

Nice work!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 09 May 2011, 04:26

EDIT: Scratch that, I figured it out \o/

Screenshot of one of the starting areas (WIP)

Next