Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[RELEASED] Turbo's entry: "The Triamid Ruins"

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Community Vote: The Triamid Ruins

Poll ended at 01 Jul 2011, 01:12

32%
21%
42%
5%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Turbo's entry: "The Triamid Ruins"

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 15:57

Played V3. Those improvements made a big difference, fixed most of the problems I had before.

UBerserker wrote:I'm torn between this and Leo's map for the 1st place. I think yeah, this map takes the cake for me.

Aren't you a judge? Should you be saying your opinion yet?
:)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011, 16:29

Made an exception just for this. And yes judges can give their opinions.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011, 22:36

[spoiler]Holy shit.

The design here is amazing, with unique and interesting shapes in almost every room and the great lighting contrast between the orange exterior and blue interior. Half the time I was wondering how it was done without using custom content or having the level swallowed in a BSP hole. The first map is decent looking too, but the second map is where it really comes together.

The gameplay is simple with only pests and the amount of equipment provided, but I didn't mind as I didn't need too much of a distraction from saying "wow" in almost every room. The first two spires also had great layouts with the constantly overlapping main room of the first (along with impressive views) and the climb up the middle of the second. While it's a shame the puzzles didn't get in, and the ending is obviously rushed, a couple of the switches had some nice exploration to find them.

I really hope we get the full version at some point.[/spoiler]
Formerly Mman

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 01:41

TheIronKnuckle wrote:great map. attention to detail was amazing. The architecture was awesome. Technical execution felt a bit iffy. very atmospheric :tup:

just realised this comes across as a bunch of robotic dry praise. :P I was sleepy at the time.

My real sentiments echo Mman's. The theme and atmosphere were unique and entirely loveable. I played the dig when i was 5 or something and never got very far, so i don't recognise the inspiration. But there's still a distinct charm in the atmosphere you've created in this level. Chizra was a good music choice. although i think silence and a hell of a lot of sound effects would have done a better job, but alas: time constraints!

[spoiler]I got a bit pissed off when i had to backtrack and press a button twice to continue and activate the light bridge. i'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen.[/spoiler]

The theme also reminded me vaguely of Halo CE. The whole "what are these massive buildings and who built them?" idea that i remember from back in 2003 playing halo came back while playing this and got me nostalgic.

Great map

edit: suggestion for skybox realism. download and inspect ctf-redheat. it's a tiny map which i love just for the skybox. It might help you eliminate the extremely unrealistic/ugly horizon when you're standing on top of the mountains. Just see how far you have to fly up on redheat before you notice the horizon distorting. i reckon it would help a lot with maintaining immersion at the point where it should be strongest. sure, redheat still has the problem, but it's nowhere near as noticeable as on most maps. :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011, 04:12

Mman's review summed up my thoughts perfectly.

User avatar Stakhanov
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011, 16:50

Not going to post anything redundant either , just that it's absolutely no contest. Haven't seen that kind of unreal maps in years.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 00:18

I'd like to thank all of you for the support and positive feedback! even the reviews, i never thought it'd be an 8 average :o

I completely didn't expect that people were going to like the style i was going for, the thing with doing such a different experiment is; you have no idea what the outcome will be, and i'm very glad that it didn't turn out into the disaster i thought it would be :P

Since you guys liked it so much, i feel i need to ask: would you like to see me updating this map somewhere in the future? possibly improving plenty of things and pretty much completing what i intended? I wasn't really thinking of ever finishing it, but by the comments you guys gave, i might have to reconsider ;)

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 00:55

Turboman wrote:Since you guys liked it so much, i feel i need to ask: would you like to see me updating this map somewhere in the future? possibly improving plenty of things and pretty much completing what i intended? I wasn't really thinking of ever finishing it, but by the comments you guys gave, i might have to reconsider ;)

Heck yeah, complete it! Definitely needs some polishing, and the story needs to be more active through your exploration of the ruins, but go on ahead and do whatever you want or had intended to do. I wonder: will there be more maps to this? It felt like that was the case, and I'd love to see what the cliffhanger stuff near the end was referring to, plus what the purpose of that final room you fall into was going to be.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 01:05

Well i can tell alot more was intended originally :P what was shown was just the icing of the cake, next to an actual third pyramid, i had planned significant amount of underwater places, gigantic underground caverns, and some major climax area ;)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 02:31

just replayed. forget what i said about the horizon, you've done an excellent job of masking the skybox-level boundary. There are some little annoyances that make the horizon look unrealistic in places and I happened to be looking at one when I made up my mind about the skybox :P 99% of the time it's perfect.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 06:49

I believe this should be continued and expanded.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 11:40

Yes. It would be good to see some of these great, yet unfinished, contest maps be finished. :tup:

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011, 22:29

Finally played this and I'm happy I hadn't read anything before playing.
So now I know Turbo's entry won, and from what I have experienced up to now (with still the Oil Stone to play), the Triamid Ruins would get at least Silver from me, and the Oil Stone would really have to be good to beat it.

I sometimes had the feeling I was playing Unreal for the first time again (ok, it's not that good) but this has the tension, the visuals, the gameplay, the exploration and above all, the whole setting is somethng new.
I'll quit now and quickly try to play the last remaining contest map. BUT since I know the end result now, I'ld say the winner truly deserved it so
Turboman, Congrats!! I loved it, and will play again (this playthrough was a bit rushed).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 26 Jun 2011, 22:07

Cast my vote and it's definitely the winner for me (without any other map coming close).
And yeah, I'ld love to see this being continued.

Untamed
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] Turbo's entry: "The Triamid Ruins"

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015, 23:13

I'm in a multiplayer server right now and I'm stuck in 'Arriving at the Triamid Ruins". The captain tells me to get scuba gear and a flashlight which I've already got, I cannot seem to progress because he still wants me to get the scuba gear and flashlight. I have a feeling it might be because they instantly respawn when I pick them up.

Can this be fixed please?

Previous Next