ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Contest closed

The archive for the 10th Anniversary Speedmapping Contest entries and discussion.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: Three weeks to go!

Post Posted: 15 May 2011, 22:14

I like it tight ;)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: TWO weeks to go!

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 03:28

It has been brought to my attention privately by an entrant that an extension might be be a prudent idea. Seeing as how this is the only instance of anyone mentioning it that I know of, and the fact that I think everyone here was very happy with the terms discussed at the outset, I thought I'd pose the question publicly for anyone who feels this issue is relevant; does anyone else want an extension but is afraid to speak up?

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 04:11

Well, I suppose we COULD do an extension— though I still like the idea of keeping it to the deadline. I guess as long as something significant still lines up with UnrealSP's birthday, I don't mind.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 04:30

Mister_Prophet wrote:It has been brought to my attention privately by an entrant that an extension might be be a prudent idea. Seeing as how this is the only instance of anyone mentioning it that I know of, and the fact that I think everyone here was very happy with the terms discussed at the outset, I thought I'd pose the question publicly for anyone who feels this issue is relevant; does anyone else want an extension but is afraid to speak up?

I almost kinda second this. At least for me, school and an entire busy week at the beginning of the contest has swiss-cheesed my time available for mapping quite a lot. I'm not saying do it for sure, since I might be able to progress beyond my own expectations by the end of the contest, but I'll state that it does sound like a perky idea for some of us with part-time crap going on (and parental bossiness to contend with). As for the Summer, I'll kinda have a lot more time, though stretching this contest out to ridiculous time extensions would be silly (so not for this one in particular). Good thought either way.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 04:46

Personally, I wouldn't mind an extension of some kind. School stuff has taken up a lot of time that I could have otherwise used to work on the map.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 04:52

Mister_Prophet wrote:It has been brought to my attention privately by an entrant that an extension might be be a prudent idea. Seeing as how this is the only instance of anyone mentioning it that I know of, and the fact that I think everyone here was very happy with the terms discussed at the outset, I thought I'd pose the question publicly for anyone who feels this issue is relevant; does anyone else want an extension but is afraid to speak up?
I would feel more comfortable with my entry if I had an extra week or two. I also feel though that the line should be drawn somewhere, as this is a "speedmapping" contest. While I would appreciate and make use of an additional week if allowed I would not be heartbroken should the rules stay as written. I might be against multiple extensions or a very long extension but I see no major harm in a single short extension.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 14:01

It's kind of pointless if you only get 2 entries because nobody else managed to finish on time.. another 2 weeks might be good

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 14:16

This depends on whether the judges feel that they're up to the challenge of judging maps within 5 days or so. I really don't want to move the date of the published contest results and compilation pack away from the Anniversary, so the Judges would have much less time left for... judging if we were to prolong the contest by 2 weeks.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 14:28

for me personally my time is being eaten up more and more. an extension isn't going to help. 4 arseignments just came outta nowhere cause it's near the end of semester. i'm not withdrawing, but an extension wouldn't help me unless it was another whole 6 weeks :P
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Re: Three weeks to go!

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 16:42

BuddhaMaster wrote:I like it tight ;)

:D :tup:

back on topic :P .... will it matter to add two weeks? (and where do you draw the line? it's a speedmapping contest with rules, so....)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 16:56

Yes, rules are there for a reason. But the way I see it; how formal do we want to make the contest protocol if it means we miss a few entries for an otherwise starved gametype? :) Plus...no offense to the judges...but as both a reviewer and a mapper my heart bleeds far less for those who have the "burdern" of playing these fine maps and talking about them.

So. Vote?

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 18:21

I believe a deadline that most contestants will fail to cope with is wrong. Additional 2 weeks are a must, unless the judges want to end up assessing TWO entries. Another drawback of standing by the current deadline is that the next contest will meet with way less attention, because even less people will believe they can make it. Such contests are to nudge the community towards activities, instead of resulting in a "meh" attitude towards the events.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 18:35

Aye; a vote shall take place.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: TWO weeks to go! VOTE: Extend contest time?

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 19:04

Vote added
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Master_Unreal
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: TWO weeks to go! VOTE: Extend contest time?

Post Posted: 23 May 2011, 21:32

I believe a deadline that most contestants will fail to cope with is wrong. Additional 2 weeks are a must, unless the judges want to end up assessing TWO entries. Another drawback of standing by the current deadline is that the next contest will meet with way less attention, because even less people will believe they can make it. Such contests are to nudge the community towards activities, instead of resulting in a "meh" attitude towards the events.

I fully agree with this, This pretty much made the point Lol, I can't really add more to it

Previous Next