ividyon will never get this done, will he.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1 - New Video! Again! [12-29-11]

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012, 09:29

Waffnuffly wrote:EXU2 Coop on Unreal Difficulty is unlike anything else:

Citation needed

load up U1 -> coop tab -> Koopa's Ko-op Kaos

I have it toned down right now, for sanitys sake. Recommended client is 227 due to crash spam otherwise.

now you'll understand why I like EXU2 development, and I again suggest funny as fuck death messages, DO IT WAFFNUFFLY, FUCKING DO IT

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: [ut] EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 4 v2.1 - New Video! Again! [12-29-11]

Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012, 13:56

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote:now you'll understand why I like EXU2 development, and I again suggest funny as fuck death messages, DO IT WAFFNUFFLY, FUCKING DO IT

Haha don't worry, I definitely will! Once the HUD is done at least and that stuff is easy to mess with. Gonna be a while.

In the mean time, I've decided that Maps 7 and 8 (Terraniux) are by far the shittiest maps in the campaign currently, and hell even 9 but that's a small one, so I'm revamping all of them. Why do I do this to myself? The geometry in these maps is terrible and I basically have to redo all the lighting from scratch. But then I look at how Map 16 turned out and all that backtracking immediately becomes worthwhile!

User avatar Core
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012, 23:02

Lol. Meanwhile, if you haven't noticed already, Spronx is close to finishing his SP EXU2BI Demo4 Playthrough with his unique play style :D . Less then a day ago, he uploaded his 101'st EXU2 Vid. The couple I've already seen were hilarious and really funny to watch. Here's a good one from late february I've stumbled upon recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iGZfGLI6E

I bet they could serve as good playtesting feedback. Good luck analysing all those vids :P .

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012, 23:27

Yep, I've followed those and have gotten looooooooooots of excellent gameplay analysis data out of them.

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012, 23:48

Core wrote:Lol. Meanwhile, if you haven't noticed already, Spronx is close to finishing his SP EXU2BI Demo4 Playthrough with his unique play style :D . Less then a day ago, he uploaded his 101'st EXU2 Vid. The couple I've already seen were hilarious and really funny to watch. Here's a good one from late february I've stumbled upon recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8iGZfGLI6E

I bet they could serve as good playtesting feedback. Good luck analysing all those vids :P .

Lol! I watch his EXU videos everyday. I was thinking of making a EXU2 playthough too. Unfortinutly, Fraps only lets me record 6 to 7 minutes of video and then makes another video and I don't have a video system that lets me add text, special effects, video/picture stacking' or whatever you call it, ect. And to make things worse, I need to wait 1 - 13 hours just for it to upload to youtube. LITTERALLY!!!!
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012, 03:00

are you going to increase the size of the translator screen?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012, 03:05

Yes. Look let's not get carried away with every little detail here! The current HUD is a huge enhancement over the original and it's nowhere near complete, so lots more enhancements will be going in as we're able to do them.

Post Posted: 01 May 2012, 05:04

"Can you tell us what happened?"

"Mother of God. Tell you what happened? Sit down. I'll tell you. I've seen the rise of a threat I don't think can be stopped.

What began as a normal skirmish with the Blues turned into an encounter I will never recover from. I'll never be able to turn my mind's eye away from that unspeakable scene of gore and destruction. I pray for death each night now, knowing what's out there, and knowing that it cannot be stopped if it reaches critical mass. Hah... if? It already has.

Our first encounter with the things. "Brussalids," they called them... before they were injected with a foul chemical that turned their insides into some kind of biological horror mankind was not prepared to comprehend.

Image Image
Things started off tame. We had a squad of 10 men, the Blues 12. As usual, the cowards had to outnumber us to even stand a chance at taking our base, but we could handle them, just as we could handle all the other vermin swarming the site. But when I first saw these things, I knew something was different.

Image Image
I always used to see single alien species attacking my squadmates (and the Blues) at any given time, not usually large groups of one specific kind, unless it was those bugs of course. Those things could multiply in a hurry when their host monsters were destroyed. But this was different in one major way: our first encounter with them near the Blues' stronghold showed multiple groups immediately. Whatever these things were, they were either appearing as packs... or replicating.

Image Image Image Image
Whatever they were, they were tough to kill, and they charged us back into our own base. I had a group of three or four charge me, but managed to get to higher ground and avoid them. They couldn't seem to project any sort of attacks at long-range, and I wasn't about to find out what happens when you get close. But then others started trailing in... and then LOTS. Before I knew what was happening, my base was filling up with these black abominations, and they were hacking apart all the aliens they could find. Not the usual behavior for these things. They usually teamed up against us.

Image Image Image Image
They were extremely dangerous. My squad was getting eviscerated, and the Blues were nowhere to be found - probably holed up in their sector as I was. Everywhere I went I found more and more of these things. I started to see how they were appearing - aliens and humans alike were getting "infected" at close range, implanted with some kind of egg. After a few seconds, boom - a shower of blood, guts, and another one of these things standing where an ally or enemy once stood.

Image Image Image Image
By the time I knew what had to be done, it was already too late. They were everywhere, swarming the entire site. They were tough to kill, and while not very fast, fast enough. I was cornered in my base in no time, and my allies were unresponsive on the radio. I couldn't even hear any signs of combat from elsewhere over the roar of the snarling horde.

Image Image
It was at this point that... ahh... GET OUT... GO! GO GO MOVE MOVE GET TO THE EVAC POINT, OH GOD HOLY HELL THEY'RE EVERYWHERE, FUCKING MOVE, MOVE GODDAMNIT JESUS FUCKING CHRIST GET OUTAUAUAGhahahhghgh"

"...is he going to be ok?"

"He's been sedated. We'll have to try again another time, sir."

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 04 May 2012, 17:10

lol, absolutely insane shit right there
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 04 May 2012, 19:27

I'm totally used to that level of insanity. EXU2 is basically the UT version of my unreal server that I've had going for years. Feels good man. More insanity over more versions = MORE AWESOME!

Post Posted: 04 May 2012, 19:55

These things are totally awesome. Having just one spawn in on a small map can be a major game-changer if a big infection begins before you have time to contain it.

Notes:

* Pawn Tags system implemented which allows all other pawns to hate anything with an "ExistentialThreat" tag (i.e. Brussalids, Shadow Creatures, etc), as well as lots of other things, like being able to do things to EXUScriptedPawns only if they have a matching tag.

* Since that post, I've added diminishing returns for non-primordial Brussalids. This means that the first Brussalids to appear have the most health and mass and whip damage, but are slower, while the ones they spawn are 25% thinner, faster, and weaker. Each new generation gets a 25% bonus/reduction to stats. HOWEVER, after the 4th generation, anything spawned from the weakest possible Brussalids will be reset and spawn as new default-stat primes. So watch out: you'll want to kill the weaklings faster than you might think.

* Brussalids cannot infect anything smaller than a player or bot, like Pupae, nor can they infect "Bugs," "Robots," or anything with the "BrussalidImmune" tag. May also make it so they can't infect any energy-based pawns either (like Hyper Skaarj, Extreme Laser Lords, etc).

* This system allows the initial infection to spread somewhat slowly, but become much more pronounced over time when lots of weaker, faster Brussalids are swarming. However, the more there are, the weaker they are individually (usually), so hordes are actually fairly easy to keep in check, but hard to root out completely. All Brussalids have a weakness to EnergyAR lasers, Shit, and Extractor gore chunks, plus an extreme weakness to the "jolted" damage type. This means that a Shock Trooper can easily annihilate an entire horde single-handedly due to its massive, rapid shock damage and immunity to infection. Turbo, Psycho, and Shock Queens will also do enormous amounts of damage if they don't get infected.

* Proper blood color, green, applied to Brussalids. They still have the black skin, though. You can set them to any blood color you want, though, and any infected pawn will bleed that color and its EXUHitEffect will match the Brussalid's. Infected pawns will slowly get fatter, slower, and heavier before violently exploding and spawning a new Brussalid. ScriptedPawns will lose their ability to make ranged attacks and just kinda go nuts, charging whatever is nearby. I still need to make it so they will ignore other Brussalids, though, and make Brussalids ignore infected pawns.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 04 May 2012, 19:58

Are Brussalids MP-only? They look like part of the shadow mob
ImageImage

Post Posted: 04 May 2012, 20:00

Nothing is truly MP-only, though I haven't used them in any SP maps and probably won't except for coop. Might throw in a few somewhere on Unreal difficulty with a low odds-of-appearing value so they can be like a hardest-difficulty-exclusive easteregg of doom. They would be kinda crazy to deal with if they got out of control in SP since you don't respawn and once you get infected, you WILL die, no questions asked. You can't survive a thing exploding out of your guts!

Though I forgot to mention you are also immune to infection if you have any kind of shieldbelt, so a good tactic is to grab a Heavy belt or something and go to town with the Extractor. A gore blast can totally decimate a huge pile of the fuckers.

User avatar jaypeezy

Post Posted: 06 May 2012, 06:44

So, picking up health items after infection will NOT save you?

Also, video of the Brussalids?

Post Posted: 06 May 2012, 15:34

jaypeezy wrote:So, picking up health items after infection will NOT save you?

Also, video of the Brussalids?

No, though you have 15 seconds OR till death, whichever comes first, so picking up health packs and stuff does delay the inevitable. Gives you more time to take down others with you!

HOWEVER, I've been trying to think up a sensible way to remove an infection that wouldn't be easy or stupid. Maybe picking up a shieldbelt has the power not only to prevent you from getting infected externally, but the energy emitted kills the thing inside you? Dunno, I'll keep thinking about it.

A video will probably be posted soon, they are definitely pretty funny to see in MP games.

Previous Next