UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

<EXU2> "G59 - EXPANDED ROUTE Phase 2" v6.01 OUT

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: <EXU2> "G59 - EXPANDED ROUTE Phase 2" v6.01 OUT

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 00:19

Hmm looks like the Mamonis change doesn't work.

As for the Shadows, never had them fighting each other (they are under the same teamtag also) and that only happens with other non Shadow enemies anyway so it's unrelated to G59. Shadow enemies shouldn't even be used for monsterspawn mutators.
ImageImage

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 00:24

The teamtag isn't enough, look at this:

Code: Select all

class ShadowCreature expands EXUSkaarjWarrior;

var() float lungerange, lungez, lungechance, lungespeed, lungemomentum;
var() bool suppressprojectileattack;

//============================================================================================================
// KILL EVERYTHING
//============================================================================================================
function eAttitude AttitudeToCreature(Pawn Other)
{
   if ( Other.IsA('EXUScriptedPawn') && class'EXUStaticFuncs'.static.bHasPawnTag(EXUScriptedPawn(Other), 'ShadowPawn') )
      return ATTITUDE_Friendly;

else
      return ATTITUDE_Hate;
}

Isn't it Waff? I haven't played EXU2 since weeks.

EDIT: The only problem is the HATE, G59 shadows don't kill other monsters, at least it doesn't happen in G59 maps.
I was wrong about Shadows kill Shadows, i got confused with the Eris Queen AI.

Note: Eris Queen doesn't attack Shadows but shadows attack her. :P
Last edited by FXANBSS on 20 Mar 2016, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
I grant you the ultimate power!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 00:28

Nah I really don't want Shadows outside of their world killing other enemies, it's a design choice.
And no Magatsu are never supposed to meet Shadows.

But who said that Shadows are ok with Magatsu 100% of the time?? :P
ImageImage

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 00:35

You don't care about botmatches?
I am a guy who uses MonsterSpawn and i use your G59 pawns in that mutator, i don't like to see that behavior.
I think better i fix it myself, it isn't hard anyway. :P
Last edited by FXANBSS on 20 Mar 2016, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 00:38

You can use Magatsu fine but Shadows ARE NOT Monsterspawn-type of pawns. When EXU2 was out they weren't even in the list of summonable creatures to make sure nobody would put them in Monsterspawn due to their ATTACK-EVERYONE code.

Besides, Shadows are originally EXU2 core pawns, Waff created them and I only work within G59, not outside of it.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 01:06

Just got the word from Loathsome that G59 runs on Coop! The error is gone.
Let's hope the rest is fine.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016, 01:53

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016, 02:53

So, first map is still extremely tedious because there is no decent armor to speak of except for the Magnificent Armor, which is a secret item, yet is absolutely mandatory to beat the boss. Either make it so you can't access the boss until you get this, or make it possible to defeat without grabbing. Otherwise, zero possible chance of survival.

The whole map would be vastly less dicey and save/load spammy if you started with a Frost Armor. Or if, I dunno, some enemies dropped something once in a blue moon? Even standard shieldbelts would help. And Fusion Flares - like four or five would massively help defeat the Gasbag clouds.

There's plenty of health, but it does you no good when a single shot from most enemies will take away 50-100 health when you're unarmored. Armor is absolutely critical in EXU and this map has nowhere near enough, which doesn't make it hard so much as just frustrating.

Otherwise, I haven't really noticed many changes since last time yet, and it's largely enjoyable despite the slow, slow slooooooow progress you make in this first map. The fact that the next map is a mostly boring Hell-Gun-spamming slog against shadows doesn't really help matters much, though. But once you make it to the third map, gameplay becomes far better, at least from what I remember.

I really enjoy the Pentapower segment and shitblasting the Demon Pupae after lasering all the Demon Slith. In fact, this map makes EXCELLENT use of the Energy AR bolts' piercing ability. Lots of narrow choke points that enemies will line up on for you to obliterate and save ammo. I just wish I had enough armor to make more use of the Extractor / progress faster / have better odds against the boss.

I actually managed to kill the boss on my 5th attempt, but died as soon as it did from my armor disappearing at the last second and getting creamed by the sea of bouncing orbs / swarm of Gasbags I wasn't able to deal with while focusing down the boss. It didn't help that I had lost like half my Mag armor before I could even start attacking the boss. That Juggernaut is a bastard if you aren't prepared to waste a Clustershock Flare or a couple 'Driver rounds on it or something.

The boss combat arena could probably use some geo improvements to help as well. Maybe some bunkers connected together or even just caves that surround the arena, giving you more places to maneuver, take cover, and open fire on the boss while fending off ground and air support. It gets old hiding behind the one well that protects you for the entire fight. I want to be able to move around more and dodge more fire. Also, I translocated into the center of the well at one point to see if that would help, and while it kinda did for a few seconds before I realized it reeeeally didn't during the seeker barrages, I was not able to translocate back out because of invisible blockers.

Report on Map 2's latest once I pass it, though it's so similar to before from the sound of it I dunno if I'll have much to add!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016, 00:06

The thing about Nebiros having a slow/tortuous progress is sort of intentional, I wanted the player to make it feel like it watches its back and says "fuck I cleared this valley, to the next one now" and the climax is the big meteor showdown in the sky when you reach the bridge as a reward for making it there.

Alright yeah, it's really a hard map and I usually have a tough time too because some of the battles are unpredictable and the valleys are stacked of enemies everywhere. The first valley is really rough, possibly one of the top 3 roughest battles in G59 mainly because of the Demon Warlord and the Doom Trooper, I'll probably tone its difficulty one down because I don't think it's fair throwing that shit so quickly (it should be easier than valley two for fuck's sake).

The boss tests your decision making - want to clear the boss as fast as possible or need to clear a wave of spawned Gasbags/Skaarj because they're too much? The health buff on the boss has dramatically made it stronger from a shit-tier status.
I actually was going to get rid of that useless second well but haven't gone around it for some reason. Think I'll add a big rock instead of it but I don't want the player to leave that piece of land because the whole point of the battle is fighting the boss and his pawns before they corner you; always designed as a time attack fight.

Map 2 is sadly what it is but the constant changes of Big Shadow Skaarj placement are good enough to not letting the players' guards down.
ImageImage

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 04:51

Very nice job on it. Been testing online for a few days now. Up to map 07 atm.
(I do have to go back and play 5 and 6. Some other player got thru those overnight.)

Map 01 did take quite a long time, but I liked it a lot. Actually went and looked
at the server console at one point to make sure it was at the difficulty setting it
was supposed to be at. (It was...) Played that map twice so far.

Map 02 also took a long time, but was still fun. The "dark" maps are not always
my favorites, but you did it very well I think. I did cheat a bit and summon a
searchlight or 2 on my way thru it. May look at either having player spawn with
1 default unreal flare, or have them drop one on death.
That seems less like cheating than just giving them searchlights...

Testing it on a mostly clean exu2coopgame server.
Do have a mutator running that drops a few EXU flares and some of my fav EXU guns, so
I didn't have major problems with the bosses except for that Gatekeeper gasbag that killed
me over 30 before I destroyed it. The second time thru it was camping right above the
spawnpoint.

I thought there was a bug with map 07, but then I figured out how to open the door.
For a few minutes on map 01 I thought the communicator was broken, but then I noticed
that I am a moron.

Testing will continue.
Mooo !

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 12:33

I've been lately very motivated in finishing Map 10 and its progress is going at a steady fast rate!
Map 11 is also planned for the next update, it's going to be a short non-conversion map though.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016, 21:24

UBerserker wrote:I've been lately very motivated in finishing Map 10 and its progress is going at a steady fast rate!
Map 11 is also planned for the next update, it's going to be a short non-conversion map though.

Bring it on! :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 00:40

So does EXU have a specialized class for ClassProximity Triggers?
Regular Trigger's ClassProximity code seems to work for regular Flares but not with the EXU ones for some reason.
ImageImage

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 02:48

I know what happens, i also discovered something, i never knew i can actually hit Flares with projectiles, this doesn't happen with the EXU Flares, that means the EXU flares has the collision disabled.

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016, 03:30

UBerserker wrote:So does EXU have a specialized class for ClassProximity Triggers?
Regular Trigger's ClassProximity code seems to work for regular Flares but not with the EXU ones for some reason.

They aren't subclasses of Unreal flares at all anymore - not since the early days, actually, way before the flare gun. They're a separate EXUPickup item for the inventory, and an EXUGenericProjectiles subclass for both thrown flares and flares launched from the flare gun.

If you want to detect flare classes when thrown or shot into a specific area, set it to check for the FlarePropelledGrenade (flare gun alt fire) class. This covers EXUThrownFlare as well as FlareImpactGrenade (flare gun primary fire) since it's the parent class for all of them.

If you want it to work for only a specific type of thrown or launched flare, you'll need to write your own code to check FlarePropelledGrenade.Prototype and see if it's what you're looking for. Prototype is an EXUBattleFlare variable that is automatically defined based on the type thrown or launched. Something like:

Code: Select all

if( FlarePropelledGrenade(Other)!=None && FlarePropelledGrenade(Other).Prototype==class'MegablastFlare' )
{
      // Do something only if a Megablast flare is detected
}

FXANBSS wrote:I know what happens, i also discovered something, i never knew i can actually hit Flares with projectiles, this doesn't happen with the EXU Flares, that means the EXU flares has the collision disabled.

EXUFlares are fully shootable, just like Unreal flares, which is why using the flare gun in the wrong circumstances can backfire rather spectacularly.

Previous Next