Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Version 5.03 [1/24/13]

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: == Version 5.03 [1/24/13] - Bug Reports & Discussion Thread ==

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014, 16:23

Lmao I just replayed v5.03 Campaign again, just have to play the whole Map 16 now.
Not sure if it's normal having 25550something armor at the end of Map 15 and without any form of seeds being used, though this time I went ballistic with Flares.

In map 15 there's a strange group of flying Demon Skaarj Lords relegated near the top of a mountain (the one opposite at the Keggerator ending area, literally). Not even sure if they ever see you.
Also another flying Demon Skaarj Lord did create the demon orb upon death even if he didn't have the hell orb layer. Found that one at the basement level, second lake area before the metal bridge.

In the big secret area of the campaign, it doesn't seem the large ass pit below the broken wooden bridge can kill you. Fell all the way down and still was fully alive and well. Lastly the bigass doors there can instantly kill you when they are moving toward you.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014, 16:02

Ok technically it doesn't matter anymore since 5.03 is so old and outdated at this point but wow

UBerserker wrote:

Man that sure is a big improvement over my last Batshit Insane run (yeah since that one in the quote)
No Screamer missiles used, no Megablast flares used, no Seeds used, Firestorm Generator fully at max, other dumb things etc.. etc...

Also I'm not sure but I think the Devilfish pool seems to attract you to the bottom.

Question: did you ever get around to code a chargefire function for the FlareGun? At least for the secondary fire; sometimes I can't even realize where bouncing Flares ended up because they're so damn fast. I think back in the ages somebody did say the same thing (aka to charge the secondary fire in order to shoot a slow flying Flare or a fast-as-hell one)
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014, 16:23

Haven't gotten around to that - got some experimental Shitgun pressure upgrade code I'm working on that is similar (increases of pressure increase muzzle velocity for primary and alt, but you can hold the alt fire to reduce pressure and shoot canisters with less velocity). Once that's implemented it should be pretty simple to implement in the flare gun too.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 00:41

Greetings!

I've finished Batshit Insane and so here I am with my impressions. It's going to be pretty high level, I'm not going to enter into technical details much, but I do want to share my feelings about the campaign as a whole and about each individual map. I haven't seen much discussion about individual maps from BI on the forums except for Gameite2260's thread on the first three maps and the one special Map Of The Week on Hellcastle (of course UBerserker wrote a thorough tips list but that's different), so hopefully this will serve some purpose.

Of course, this relates to v5.03. Yes, it's a beta and yes, it will be obsolete soon.

First of all, the campaign really lives up to its name: it's really insane and for me all the more due to the fact that previously I had never really played anything like it (such as the Serious Sam franchise - or even the original Doom games). Honestly, it sometimes felt too much, but then again there was enough warning as to what to expect!

With my new computer, everything is set to max with the EXUOpenGL renderer, and permanent decals and carcasses are set ON. No slowdowns whatsoever, hurray! Just to be done with the purely technical side of things: saves can be lost, yes, it's not too bad but it forces the player to be a bit more cautious here (reminds me of Legacy, in my experience the only other campaign that had this problem when playing with Oldskool). Another bug is the occasional UT shutdown when saving due to the engine "shitting itself" as I believe Waff put it ;) it's kind of random and only happens maybe once in every two to three hours of game time.

I absolutely love the introduction to the game: Hellcastle... as the map's subtitle says, HOLY SHIT!!! It's simply one of the best maps I've ever "played" (there isn't even any real gameplay here!). The scale, the architecture, the evocative power of the setting... And it's not just the castle proper: the skybox is nothing short of AMAZING. When I started playing Batshit Insane, this was the best skybox I had ever seen in this engine (despite it being completely static)!
And I was really happy to explore the place, to "just be there", and it was only after a quarter of an hour or so that I realised that this level was some kind of hub map meant to immerse you into the game before choosing the difficulty setting. At first, I didn't use the navigation system and conveniently, I found the Medium Difficulty portal first... which is of course the setting I always go for! Then I used the navigation system (which is a nicely implemented idea by the way) to check out the areas with the remaining portals.
The atmosphere is excellent... to the point that, when I first began going down to the dungeons (before discovering any portal and before giving a closer look at the selectable navigation beacons - thus, I didn't yet know about the purpose of the map), I backtracked after a chill went down my spine and I started to freak out, convinced some bad shit was about to happen! The music, here, both helps along to build this great atmosphere and also somewhat doesn't maximise the effect, in my opinion. It's a good track, dark Sci-Fi music is very moody, but after a while I also felt like I was on drugs or something. Probably an intended effect, it makes the exploration of the castle rather stressful, even though there are parts of the track that are more suited to contemplation. There are moody tracks that are quieter that would help elevate the atmosphere even more in my view, but I'm nitpicking here.
Fantastic views and all. Funnily enough, exploring everything makes this a rather long level: it's not necessarily easy to make sure you've checked everything, and at first I didn't manage to get to the max difficulty portal because I took a wrong turn inside the big white tower, which initially had me thinking the Unreal Difficulty portal would only be made accessible after finishing the game once on a lower difficulty setting! :P (pure blasphemy! perish the thought, some would say!) It was only after passing for the first time to the next level, getting killed immediately and reloading my save from just in front of the Medium Difficulty portal that I went back to the big tower and was more thorough... and got to the top!
Overall, I spent just over an hour in Hellcastle on both playthroughs (I got to the third "real" level during the summer, got PC issues, and started again from the beginning with my new PC).

I'll continue this later...
Cheers!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 11:50

Now about Damnation - or how to make Vortex Rikers scary again... Honestly, Operation Na Pali's version had already done that for me, but Batshit Insane's version sure as hell makes it frightening, too! And that is despite the humour scattered throughout - I enjoyed the "HOLY SHIT HINTS ARE GODDAMN GREAT" and other tongue-in-cheek stuff (including that nod to Deus Ex), as well as that somewhat "shocking" sequence in the execution chamber! With all the screaming going on (perhaps a bit too much of that, but then again this is hell), the lack of visibility and the initially limited hardware, there is definitely a survival horror vibe to the level (a feeling for which Vortex Rikers is famed for, anyway). The first fight in the prison section was a good indication as to what to expect thereafter: the Demon Skaarj moved about faster than its normal counterpart, and the same goes for its projectiles... I died the first couple of times, because in addition to my foe, I kept hurting myself with my own weapon, as I hadn't immediately realised that the Piddledoper's primary fire had splash damage!
What keeps the player on edge (at least when playing EXU2 for the first time) is not only the presence of strategically placed enemies, but the simple fact that all these enemies are new - their stats and behaviour at least. I only started to feel more composed toward the end of the level! So much crazy shit and this is only the beginning... I loved the way Waffnuffly revisited that scripted sequence behind the door after the Med Lab! One of the big WTF moments came from that army of Mini Fucker Brutes - that leaves a strong impression, man! After reloading, I felt like there was only one viable option: fry their asses with a Munitions Party Mix Flare! God how I love those battle flares so much!! It's super cool to see these in action, and it's jaw-dropping the first time round!
The presence of those hell symbols spreading throughout the ship is also a very nice touch. Lovely! :P
A short but hard level.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 12:37

Infernal Falls has to be the best redux of Nyleve's Falls yet... The map is full of what becomes the norm in Batshit Insane: fantastic and epic content, and also sometimes ridiculously so! I like the hint about taking cover... no shit! The gameplay is now really just about finding the best way to carry out a slaughterfest, and it's stressful because it's hard. On my first playthrough I started by running outside because I wanted to fully experience the wow factor... and I got more than I bargained for! The first time I died out there, seeing the massive symbol in the sky become brighter while that loud evil laughter rang in my ears was quite something! And I love the artillery fire in the distance, too!
The music in this level is perfect: it really espouses the apocalyptic atmosphere of the map, and those few words ("First, there was darkness... then came - strangers... They were a race as old - as time itself... they had mastered the ultimate - technology." -> Dark City, if you haven't seen it yet) really fit the context, as if they are a form of deliberate storytelling!
It's not scary anymore, but it's incredible.
The ending is cool: I used the Flare Gun to dispatch the Fuck Off Krall. Never caused me any troubles that way; however I got a nasty surprise after clearing out the optional bunker, as when I got back to the entrance of Rrajigar Mine I found myself surrounded by all kinds of foes!
It took me over an hour to complete (and I did all the side areas), so I consider this to be a long play.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 14:13

The Shitstorm is the first very hard map of the campaign, in that on top of dying a lot throughout, there are some places where I'd have to reload repeatedly. And, of course, unless you remember the original map off by heart (which was not my case), there is quite a bit of exploration needed to figure out how you're meant to proceed.
Of course Bluff Eversmoking is amazing and to see it here didn't surprise me so much as cast doubts as to whether this map would work under the EXU2 gametype. You see, for me, the original map was a lot of things, but above all it was about awe, contemplation, and ultimately, immersion into another world. I wasn't sure this version would gain much love because of the decidedly different approach.
BUT it works! Waff had enough ideas to exploit the grand setting beyond simply adding lots of monsters and silliness: for one thing, the story actually exists through the use of scripted sequences - and everyone who still enjoys playing Unreal has to witness the start of the shitstorm on Bluff!! That was really EPIC - all the beefed up monsters, including that huge Gasbag, suddenly vaporised by airstrikes! and then the protagonist voicing "it's raining shit everywhere!" - it's just fantastic and hilarious at the same time!
Not only that, but some of the new creatures are extremely well utilised: as I was fighting in the Bluff area, I suddenly checked the blood lake down below - and got a huge WTF moment when I saw giant flying Squids headed towards me!! That is really hellish and an excellent modification of an existing pawn!
Also, lol at the little Krall things. They're just one of the annoying things around here; I like the fella who insults me because I attack it while it is simply enjoying the view!
Tossing Shit Canisters over the walls ("TRUST ME IT'S A FUCKING GOOD IDEA") is brilliant and the EAR is one of my favourite weapons.
The shock rocket trap is fun - and it's good to have hints twice refer to the translocator, as I had pretty much forgotten about it until then.
The level manages to get scary underground, notably because of some super fast moving assholes.
Some of the demons' communicator messages are pretty funny :)
The UT music is good and fits the action, but it does add to the player's fatigue after a while.
The ending is awesome. Period.
And obviously it's a very long play: about two and a half hours for me.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 18:59

By the way I forgot to mention this earlier but I like the cries of some of those modified Gasbags... they come from System Shock 2, right?

Soul Storage is much shorter than The Shitstorm, not surprising as the former is a conversion of Dasa Mountain Pass, which was a short level. However, if only because of the storage area itself, this is still a very hard map, so it took me an hour to get through.
The storage room is a real pain, albeit with plenty of opportunities to test strategies. There are so many different types of enemies and they can come from pretty much any direction. The cramped nature of the place is ideal for both setting up ambushes and being ambushed... I got several frights in there. Which is a good thing, particularly as overall the level has less atmosphere than the previous map.
But that doesn't stop it from having a few new "wow" moments: at least on Medium difficulty, this is the first map to introduce those giant skyborne Tentacles!
Interesting "secret" at the end of the map: I didn't figure this out on my own, but I admit I always read UBerserker's tips thread after finishing a map, and so I was able to use my last save in this level to translocate beyond the exit teleport and feel badass :)
Music was cool, standard fare for BI at this point.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 19:24

The Cursed Passage is an actually short level and with the use of the translocator you can zap areas that were mandatory when this was The Sacred Passage. The beginning of the level is arguably the toughest, with those fuckin' Chargers, ugh! I couldn't know they would be so resistant! And there are lots of nasty surprises from spawning enemies.
But it isn't as hard as the two previous maps. It's hard alright, but it feels more like a transition map.
By the way, good move with the quieter music: it was absolutely necessary. A large campaign like this one needs some breaks and variations in pacing.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 20:16

The Gauntlet of Pain is really awesome (more than usual for this campaign) because it's got several things going for it: crazy action (expected), foreboding atmosphere and an initially slow, majestic presentation (not expected) within an awesome setting: remember Temple of Vandora? Imagine it in hell. Yeah!
I briefly mentioned the importance of variations in pacing: this map definitely takes this into account, which made it all the more exciting.
This level is where you get the Hyper Flakker (wheeeeeeee!!!).
At first I considered this map to be the first real "boss level"; it's more of an arena map. And you're getting several arenas, too: the first one was hard enough but the survival battle in the valley was completely nuts. At one point I couldn't control my movements anymore: all I could do was shoot while I was being knocked from one side of the valley to the other. It's a lot of fun, really: while I knew I was going to have to reload I still couldn't help but laugh at the ludicrous situation! After a few reloads, I was propelled on top of a cliff and that's when I realised I had found my best chance of winning the battle. Even then, it takes trial and error.
Funnily enough, the last survival battle (which takes place in the map's actual arena), while nicely presented with changes of music foreshadowing the ordeal, is almost easy! I played very seriously (had to) but I didn't have to reload once: hence, on Medium difficulty, the difficulty was just that - medium.
The story is also more strongly continued here: the text displayed after you survive the last battle is cool although a bit enigmatic retrospectively (initially I thought of it as fourth wall breaking but now I wonder if it isn't from some mysterious persona within the game) but there's also that message from Seraphim.
I like the devil face on the wall saying "Fuck you man" :)
A very hard and long map (over three hours of game time for me!).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 22:37

Hey Sat42, when do you eat and sleep? :lol:

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 22:46

I love the new theme in Frostclaw Access Lift. Cool colours dominate for a change (and there's actually some water here, both in solid and liquid form). This is clearly a transition map: it's short, and "only" quite hard, in that I did reload my game a few times but not much, and most reloads came from a desire to do better, in anticipation of something worse ahead. It's really cool to be back in a proper sci-fi/tech theme map. The ambush from the lift coming down echoes the ambush in the original level (Terraniux Underground). I also really like the UT track used here :wink: it's superbly ambient and fucking cool.
The comedic side returns to the fore when you arrive in Frostclaw Outpost: it's always funny to read stuff like how demons have to remain "calm" in the face of your intrusion! or be informed of the consequences of the unnaturally-mild conditions North of the Styx.
Really, this is a very "classy" map.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014, 22:50

salsaSkaarj wrote:Hey Sat42, when do you eat and sleep? :lol:

LOL, I even found time for work! :P (although it's pretty cool at Uni at the moment!)
I'm pretty determined to share my impressions as I really enjoyed this and IMO not enough comes out of it. You know, I actually write pretty fast: most of what I say took shape in my mind beforehand, and I write it down before I forget it :D

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014, 00:15

Oh man, this comes at the perfect time as I'm replaying the campaign for a prerelease bugfix rollup. This shit is so much more fun than I remember - it's been over a year and a half since I last played it! I'm gonna have to reconsider my priorities (again) :p

Sounds like you're getting a great kick out of it, though, which is awesome - pretty much mission accomplished for me. I hope you'll enjoy the v6 code base changes even more, especially the weapon improvements and stuff. It really makes the game feel more solid.

Keep the feedback coming, I love it!

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014, 13:12

BUFF SKELETON wrote:Oh man, this comes at the perfect time as I'm replaying the campaign for a prerelease bugfix rollup. This shit is so much more fun than I remember - it's been over a year and a half since I last played it! I'm gonna have to reconsider my priorities (again) :p

Sounds like you're getting a great kick out of it, though, which is awesome - pretty much mission accomplished for me. I hope you'll enjoy the v6 code base changes even more, especially the weapon improvements and stuff. It really makes the game feel more solid.

Keep the feedback coming, I love it!

Will do, glad this comes at a good time! And yes I'm looking forward to v6! :)

And so we move on to Frostclaw Outpost...
I might as well start by saying that upon finishing this map, I considered it to be the best regular level in Batshit Insane yet. And even though they're not really comparable objectively, I'll say I was as happy to discover Frostclaw Outpost as I was to discover Hellcastle.
And that is for several reasons. Firstly, this map is a redux of Terraniux. And Terraniux is awesome. OK, not everyone is happy with it, more due to its esthetic identity (the DecayedS texture set, lighting and music) than due to its complex layout I believe. It's a fully realised location, though, and everyone remembers the general feeling of the place (if not the details of the layout and progression throughout, like myself). Secondly, the reskin here is super cool and fresh (SGTech1 and richrig essentially, but clever use of other texture packs too), as is the new lighting, and the overall effect is actually better than in the original level, I dare say. The general ice/tech theme is continued from the previous map. It's a beautiful level, honestly. Thirdly, Frostclaw Outpost is much more than "just" a reskin and new lighting job: for the first time in the campaign, we have a map that is a redux with significant geometry additions compared to the original level. Wait until you see the massive missiles being deployed... (and this is where you can appreciate the progress Waff made in designing new machines and weapons systems since the classic Attacked!) and there's the reactor chamber, too. Finally, the action is naturally intense but varied thanks to the rich layout. You even get several objectives. The music is badass and fits the context, but mind that it does add to the player's stress - I felt like I was restless after a while. It's kind of a natural continuation of the soundscape in Terraniux. That is an esthetic choice and not everyone will like it.
Oh, and there are actually instances where you'll need to explore in order to figure out what to do next. I struggled here, partially because of the completely chaotic nature of the experience that distracted me from remembering a number of details... this is a very hard map, and it isn't far from being extremely hard IMO. Yes, those cameras are really problematic: this is the first map in BI where I was forced to tackle said cameras by putting them temporarily out-of-order. Of course, such a big map had to come with a simple but memorable distraction: the infamous Shock Rocket trap is back, and this time it is forshadowed... by a voiced warning from Campbell!! (Metal Gear Solid)
Given its design objectives, this map is extremely solid. I have only one pseudo-issue to raise: the way to open the emergency exit is hinted at, but the execution appears a bit wonky. I did understand I was meant to try and screw up the reactor, but when I started shooting the "coolant" sign (where it is said that the sheathing is weakest), the desired effect didn't occur immediately, even after I began attacking it with more powerful weapons, including with the Hyper Flakker (on or two shots)! That made me spend an extra half hour in the level, looking for some other solution. I actually had to check in the editor that there was indeed a mover in place on that pipe, before I resumed shooting the sign and the surrounding sheath from every angle. Eventually, I found that the Piddledoper's secondary fire was ideal, as it precisely hit the relevant area, producing sparks in the process, and thus I did manage to destroy the integrity of the pipework... which allowed me to exit the level. But it should have been simple, I believe. Now, once I used the Piddledoper's laser for the job, I thought it worked well because it kind of felt like welding (which makes sense here), but still, a powerful weapon with splash damage should have worked, even if it's overkill. If others report having had the same issue here, then maybe some tweak of the mover(s) or the other would be welcome. If not, then I was just dumb and there is no need to bother changing anything. :)
At the end of the day, a really "leet" map that is very hard and took me about three and a half hours to finish!

Previous Next