Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Useless mirrors! [Now with useful ones]

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Useless mirrors! [Now with useful ones]

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 07:02

This report may come across as pickyness, but I don't give a damn. I encountered a problem when grabbing G59, but sadly, it happens also for EXU2: BI. Neither FreakShare, nor FileFactory (GOD FORBID GAMEFRONT!!!) are acceptable. Waffnuffly, UBerserker: Please DO think of a mirror that is user-friendly. Thanks in advance.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Jigoku

Subject: Re: Useless mirrors!

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 09:32

MediaFire?
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 09:35

MediaFire works! It would require a split archive or a different compression like 7zip (max filesize 200 MB per arch), but it's one of the most fair filehosts there are.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Jigoku

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 09:38

Do what ya gotta do ya know.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 10:00

Right now I can't do anything. Like I said, I can't grab the files in the first place.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 10:28

I'm upping G59 to Mediafire in two packs (166 MB + 87 MB). There aren't many good hosts, perhaps 4share but heh

Also everybody can download Gamefront files throughout ModDB pages, apparently.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 10:42

I'll make a dropbox mirror of my own once I get the files, this I promise you all.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 13:02

I wonder if UT-Files already has EXU2 stuff too?
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 13:08

Quickly skimmed, but didn't find any. BUT, that's understandable. With the advent of the Open Beta and the frequent changes EXU2 is experiencing, it'd quickly become a mess in there.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 15:11

Do you have any suggestions for free file hosts which allow >300MB files? Because I have had a hard time finding them. Believe me, I've looked.

Freakshare worked fine for me, as did Filefactory, with Adblock and NoScript installed. Gamefront works for me, but I'm in the US.

You can also download v5.02 FULL from ModDB, then get the v5.03 patch from Mediafire. While technically hosted on GameFront, some have reported that the ModDB downloads work in their country when GameFront direct links don't.

I'll update the Full package on ModDB when v5.04 comes out, since that'll be a bigger patch than v5.03 was.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 20:41

Dropbox works excellent (in fact when I do get 5.03, I'll upload it to my own Dropbox!), also MediaFire will work wonders if you either just split the file or pack it with 7z instead of rar. lzma/ultra works wonders already, the new lzma2 standard is EVEN BETTER.

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 21:58

RAR is the most convenient for creating split files.
7zip split files are a pain for most users as it gives the first file the extension of ".01" which 7zip does not always register as a file-type.
I have to use 7zip on my site, and I don't like the lack of recovery-records.
RAR is the format of choice for secure/recoverable files (especially when the files are large).

Please note, if you use the newer compression modes in 7zip, to always save as a 7z file, never a ZIP.
7Zip unfortunately allows incompatible compression in different containers.

As ever I will recommend the use of the CoraCDN for distributing large files.
If you have the space, but not the bandwidth, this is your best bet as you keep control of your files.
I use it regularly, as do many DJs/producers, to make sure large/popular files are always available.
http://www.coralcdn.org/overview/

Upload/download sites.
You can all avoid ads on these sites, by never even visiting them, and just pasting the DL into "MiPony".
The site also lists more Upload sites than you ever knew existed !
If you don't like the ones you have seen, then look for a better one here.
http://www.mipony.net/features.php
(As usual say no to all the extra crap it offers to install).

In the main, I would agree with the comments on Mediafire.
Mediafire is fast and also supported by MiPony, so you can still avoid any ads.

BUT be warned, Mediafire will not notify you if one of your files has been blocked.
You will only know when someone trying to get your file complains.

I regularly recommend the MyOpera community sites for storing files, as the sites are ad-free and unlimited in speed or bandwidth.
The limit is 2GB total, and files have to be under 60MB-ish.
For most people this is fine, and obviously you can split archives if needed.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 22:32

7z on the other hand has a compression routine brutal enough to avoid splitting altogether, I think. I sure expect 200 MB sizes when making an InnoSetup package of EXU2 for my own private use :P We'll see.

Oh, and something from [KAOS]Casey:

http://www.klankaos.com/EXU2-OpenBeta-v503-FULL.zip

An actually usable mirror :) I'm using it, so I would know :P

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 22:42

Cheers Casey and Del, that should be a much nicer host. I really need to get off my ass and just buy some cheap webspace; I doubt even EXU2 would sap up much bandwidth if I made my own space a tertiary mirror.

I'm gonna get MD5 hashes of the archives as well and post them so people can validate downloads if they want to be safe.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013, 22:53

Oh, so you're one of THOSE people...

THOSE that need to BUY everything to feel safe :P

Waff, really. Dropbox. Free. Simple. Frakin' easy to use. You can also PM DieHard to provide you an UnrealTexture folder as Leo and Creavion have. You can ask Casey about his KlanKaos.com server. You can ask me to share stuff on my Dropbox. We're a community. We help each other. Please, STOP looking for ways to WASTE money on greedy frakkers that aren't worth the air they breathe.

Next