Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

My thoughts on 5.03

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: My thoughts on 5.03

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014, 03:07

I saw the mod as comical approach, Just look at some mapnames/mobnames/gunnames, It just screams smiles and laughter. It's like a parody paradox to the original Unreal universe.

It's well made, Really well made, It's good, but I see it as a hellish parody more than anything.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014, 03:14

Yeah this is definitely a comedy / parody sort of mod, but the gameplay is meant to be fun no matter how you slice it. Doesn't matter if the jokes catch on as long as it's fun to play, so info on weak / annoying points is good.

That said, I am not sure what you're referring to by the small fast krall - do you mean the little tiny ones that shoot shrapnel chunks? They die in like 2 hits from anything, and beams shred them super easily if you just wave them around, so not sure if they're being a pain unless you are really low on health and armor. They're pretty much cannon fodder meant to make you laugh at how stupid they look, which is true for a large variety of the enemies. :)

Thematically, the hell setting + absurd gameplay and visuals (not to mention guns like the Shitgun and Clusterfucker and the Extractor, and all the completely insane flares) and little jokes scattered throughout the campaign indicate that a lot of the experience is tongue-in-cheek and not taking itself seriously. Even the more recent coop maps where EBM and I are fighting for our lives against fighters and bombers with SAM launchers and shit still isn't outside the realm of comedy, since you are fighting bombers while also getting surprise-shanked by Superb Chargers or other little assholes, which makes me laugh every time. There's basically no point in the game without an opportunity to laugh at something ridiculous when I play it these days.

ElectricIce wrote:Waffnuffly/Bughorse. (why did you change name anyway?)

Ividyon took me at face value for shits and giggles when I said "mods change my name to Bug Horse" in some thread a while back, and I thought it was hilarious :p

That said I think I could go for something different. Mods change my name to Buff Skeleton

Gameite2260
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2014, 04:37

I get that it's mainly comedy based, but the comedy should not be getting in the way of the gameplay. Especially if the things I complain about aren't particularly goofy, insane, or absurd. For example, the high-up invisible little enemies (Which I will refer to now as Tower Enemies, as I suppose this is the idea behind them).

As for the Fast Krall, my problem with them is how hard they are to locate. They just move around too fast, and you're guaranteed to lose some health from it. If you want a fast, flying, reverse-glass-cannon enemy, why not just take a Gasbag and buff its speed?

And as for the previously mentioned Shadow and Emaciated skaarj, I saw the source of comedy from EXU2 being that you take all of these intimidating scary-as-shit alien fuckwads, then you blow them up with an array of weapons that would make Bugs Bunny reach for the meds. But when the enemies cease to be intimidating and scary, the effect is diminished a lot. Especially for the Emaciated Skaarj, because they aren't just dumb looking, they're creepy. There's a difference between creepy and scary.
Gameite; "Shit sounds like a fable to me", till he jumps out the fuckin toilet when you're takin a pee.

Gameite2260

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014, 00:40

So, I lost my save file on The Shitstorm, but luckily have an older file from the start of the level. So I'll have to continue from there. Still on easy btw.

So from the start of the level I notice that what I said about the Laser Skaarj and their silly sound effects was actually a sound bug. When I played it before, the sound was all warped and ridiculous. Yeah, they're still funny sounding, with their big "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" when they die, but it's not as shockingly unsubtle in comparison to the rest of the level.

By the way, the translocator makes for some strategic fun in this level. You can't bypass certain areas with it, as there is a big green force field over those parts, but you can choose multiple directions to attack from. My favorite was when I translocated onto the wall near the blood well, laid down a shit canister, and watched the entire area get cleared out.

Unrelated note: The Piddledoper Chargers need to either be made more noticeable, or be a "pick up and use later" item like Armor Seeds. I keep accidentally running into them and wasting them.

So after clearing out the underground area with the coffins (Which was well placed btw, good balance of monsters vs loot), I go down the ridge to the side of the castle, and find three enemies: A shimmering black and red Krall that shoots one grenade, a blue version of the same enemy that shoots a HUGE FUCKING MASS OF GRENADES HOLY FUCK RUN, and another green version which shoots one razor that flings you halfway across the map. All of these enemies looked exactly the same save for color, but they were obviously much different in methods of attack and how dangerous they were. As funny as it was when I realized I was fucked when the blue krall shot his flurry of explosive fun, it was also really frustrating as I had no way of predicting how tough it would be, almost a noobtrap IMO. So to fix this:

* Make the blue krall a little bigger than the red krall and give it a more demonic voice.

* Make the green krall look more like the JerkKrall, but weaker.

Besides that, though, the rest of the cave fight was fun, with all the nooks and crannies used wisely to hide either monsters or good items. The part with the Hyper Slith guarding the lever and the Shield Belt is a little iffy IMO, though. The hyper pupae are just too fast and too small for you to hit properly in the water. All you can do is use a Cluster Shock Flare, but if you ran out of those, you're SOL. And there's not even really much point to going in there seeing as the lever only opens another entrance (With a hint that should really also be at the other entrances to the cave), and you can get a Shield Belt from the much easier path with a couple Bio Krall. Speaking of enemies, you know the mercs that shoot piddledoper blasts and are immune to your piddledoper? And how when you hit them with it, there's a visual cue to show they're immune? Why don't all the other enemies do that? Like, for example, the Shit type enemies could "absorb" shit globs that fall on them.

Also, this is funny:
http://puu.sh/aPUIG/c6aaa7c6dc.jpg

So after activating that, I translo-hop over to the church. I've already told you about my frustration with trying to snipe an invisible tiny enemy with no scoped weaponry and while also getting shot at with bombs from 900 different directions, around the time I took a break from EXU temporarily. And it hasn't gotten any better. All the sniping enemies need to be at least half the size of the player and there needs to be an actual weapon with a scope.
Gameite; "Shit sounds like a fable to me", till he jumps out the fuckin toilet when you're takin a pee.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014, 15:20

Extractor has the scope as a secondary fire.
Also there's a visual clue when enemies absorbs damage - green effects.
ImageImage

Gameite2260

Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014, 17:46

UBerserker wrote:Extractor has the scope as a secondary fire.

But you have to "line up" the shot and stand still while firing. Standing still is obviously not an option while not only your target, but also a bunch of other enemies, are all firing on you.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014, 20:44

When that happens I just exclusively use the Piddledoper's primary fire against a group of enemies. It has good splash damage so it's not necessary aiming exactly at the enemy. If they're on the torch, shoot the middle of the torch. The small Krall are definitely annoying and I suggest the Piddledoper beams for those.
I kind of agree with the Piddledoper portable ammo idea but in the final version of EXU the weapon will be much stronger and will have a third firing mode. At this current day I'm pretty sure EXU2 v6.00 has enormous differences compared to 5.03 and various maps are getting re-designed as well.
ImageImage

Previous