Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

G59 -RevolveR- X [OBSOLETE]

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: <EXU2> "G59 -RevolveR-"

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 20:00

UBerserker wrote:I'll be working on a coop/balance patch this month, look forward to it.

Very interesting. Will this patch help the insane and drastic jump in difficulty that happens
in online coop play between the Medium(1) and Hard(2) or Unreal(3) difficulty settings?
(I suspect not..... :? )

By insane and drastic, I mean that the servers CPU use jumps to 50-100% usage if I start
playing almost any EXU/G59 map in Hard or Unreal difficulty.
Note that in Medium difficulty which I am currently using for the EXU server(s), CPU is at idle
pretty much all the time. Maybe a little spike when level changes, or if somebody sets off
a BounciLaserFlare or goes apeshit with the LargeMarge, but nothing like what happens
by just trying to run in difficulty level 2 or 3.

In numerous attempts every time I have attempted playing online in Hard or Unreal difficulty the
server has crashed. Usually on InfernalFalls, although a couple of times it made it to ShitStorm
where it would crash/restart soon after that 2nd gate gets opened.

Several of these tests were run on Jaypeezy's server.
(Which otherwise runs great, and should be your 1st choice for playing EXU online in
stock/default form. Just pick the Easy or Medium path in the excellent Menu map.)

It tended to stay functional a bit longer then my antique hardware, but not for much.
Crash... Back to Menu map. (Which is very nice.)

For the time being I have my EXU servers locked in at Medium. Had to remove the nice Menu map....
Last edited by MrLoathsome on 21 Apr 2016, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Mooo !

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 20:31

Wasn't the reason of the crashes and slowdowns the other mods that were ran alongside EXU2 on the server?

Hard and Unreal difficulties on Coop are pretty much the same as their SP counterparts so no changes on this. If anything, Coop in G59 is like, 1/5 as chaotic as BI's coop? :P Which is not honestly a good thing for Coop difficulty except maybe, Map 4.
For now I'm more focusing on fixing the major coop bugs rather than gameplay balance but I'm seeking for monthly regular updates so please keep reporting stuff from either SP/COOP that needs to be fixed and balanced! There might be also a CA map coming too!

I mean honestly I'm not sure what's causing the high CPU increase and in G59 there isn't a really drastic jump from Medium to Hard in terms of pre-placed enemies, except Map 1 and Map 3.
ImageImage

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 04:38

MrLoathsome wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I'll be working on a coop/balance patch this month, look forward to it.

Very interesting. Will this patch help the insane and drastic jump in difficulty that happens
in online coop play between the Medium(1) and Hard(2) or Unreal(3) difficulty settings?
(I suspect not..... :? )

By insane and drastic, I mean that the servers CPU use jumps to 50-100% usage if I start
playing almost any EXU/G59 map in Hard or Unreal difficulty.
Note that in Medium difficulty which I am currently using for the EXU server(s), CPU is at idle
pretty much all the time. Maybe a little spike when level changes, or if somebody sets off
a BounciLaserFlare or goes apeshit with the LargeMarge, but nothing like what happens
by just trying to run in difficulty level 2 or 3.

In numerous attempts every time I have attempted playing online in Hard or Unreal difficulty the
server has crashed. Usually on InfernalFalls, although a couple of times it made it to ShitStorm
where it would crash/restart soon after that 2nd gate gets opened.

Several of these tests were run on Jaypeezy's server.
(Which otherwise runs great, and should be your 1st choice for playing EXU online in
stock/default form. Just pick the Easy or Medium path in the excellent Menu map.)

It tended to stay functional a bit longer then my antique hardware, but not for much.
Crash... Back to Menu map. (Which is very nice.)

For the time being I have my EXU servers locked in at Medium. Had to remove the nice Menu map....

Glad to hear you're actually finding the server (somewhat) stable.
Yeah, I'm all for the "excessive" part of Excessive Unreal but think that having the ability to make the extra coop monster spawning optional might be very useful... or even a way to hard-set your EXU game to only run on easy/medium difficulty for us server admins (though maybe there's some way to achieve this already that I'm not away of, through the .ini or otherwise).

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 04:41

Man, I dunno what kind of hardware you guys are running, but server crashes are extremely rare these days. Maybe it's just still really unoptimized in the v6.00 code base, but playing Corrupted Corpse (WIP CA map EBM and I have worked on for ages), we never get crashes. And that map is BY FAR the single most carnage-filled, and the largest, EXU map ever made. So far, at least.

If the server is crashing, post error logs.

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 06:52

Server hardware is a 2.2ghz dualcore intel CPU with 3gb of ram.
It has zero problems running the AK/Ecoop server with all the extra mutators
and stuff in difficulty 3 with pretty much every other SP map.

This afternoon, the Test exu server on that same machine, sitting empty on the
Perdicius Paradise map with zero monsters left on it had the CPU it was using
pegged at about 90% use. Shut it down, and CPU use drops back down to
almost idle. And this was with 2 players on the AK/ECoop server at the time.

So I turned up the difficulty on the EXU test server to Hard and started playing.

Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get thru Damnation. Last 1/2 hour my pings were having
spikes up to 400-500+, but it did not crash.
Played about the same amount of time on Shitstorm before it actually did crash.
Had about 2000 kills and 277 deaths at the time. (Never made it past the front
of the castle....) Other than mapvote and the cowfix model and my use of a non-standard skin
on it, there is nothing extra running on it.

As requested, here is the log from that session:
► Show Spoiler
Mooo !

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 10:26

UBerserker wrote:Wasn't the reason of the crashes and slowdowns the other mods that were ran alongside EXU2 on the server?

Hard and Unreal difficulties on Coop are pretty much the same as their SP counterparts so no changes on this. If anything, Coop in G59 is like, 1/5 as chaotic as BI's coop? :P Which is not honestly a good thing for Coop difficulty except maybe, Map 4.
For now I'm more focusing on fixing the major coop bugs rather than gameplay balance but I'm seeking for monthly regular updates so please keep reporting stuff from either SP/COOP that needs to be fixed and balanced! There might be also a CA map coming too!

I mean honestly I'm not sure what's causing the high CPU increase and in G59 there isn't a really drastic jump from Medium to Hard in terms of pre-placed enemies, except Map 1 and Map 3.

Pretty sure none of this is caused by the extra mods. The extra flares have a lifetime set so
they vanish after a few minutes when not picked up. Been running these mods on several servers
for a number of years now without issues.

I hadn't even tried G59 at Hard difficulty yet, so I just did that for a bit over an hour.
The jump in difficulty as compared to Medium, is not nearly as extremely extreme as it is with
some of the Exu2 maps. Server cpu pretty much stayed at idle or close to it the whole time.

I would suspect that the high CPU use on G59 map 4 is related to the failure of that event.
That was happening when I had the thing set for Medium difficulty.
Mooo !

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 15:38

The CPU fucksup in Map 4 might be caused by the fire rings when they turn on.
ImageImage

User avatar MrLoathsome
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016, 02:33

I will try to find out. Going to keep the EXU Test/Backup server up with Hard as the default
difficulty used when picking maps with Mapvote. Will also toss the excellent EXUMenu
map back on there in case me or anybody else wants to test things in the other difficulty
levels. It will stay in the current "clean-ish" config with the only mutator being the mapvote.

Plan on attempting to get thru all of G59 at Hard difficulty atm. Might be a little while
before I even get to map 4. Think I am about 3/4 of the way thru The Limbo currently.
Nobody played it while I was at work today, so I am at the same spot I left off at.
(Not sure if you guys are aware, but testing this sort of thing takes a lot of time....)

More log files or log file snippets will be posted if anything goes haywire.
Will make an attempt to separate G59 specific stuff from EXU core or EXU maps stuff
if the log file is providing enough info to do so, and post the EXU info in Buff's thread.

Re: Hardware.

My "live" EXU server is the only one I still have running on a linux box.
It is an old Intel 3.2ghz HT P4 with 2g ram on a tricky SuperMicro workstation
motherboard. Raid, all that cool shit.
The only thing it is running is the EXU server. Has (almost) no issues running that
with all the extra mutators at Medium difficulty. Same issues show up if I try the
Hard or Unreal levels. It runs that UTPG 440 stuff still, and the log files are a bit different.

Any log info I post will come off the mostly clean EXU test server running UT436 for windows.

Either of these machines can easily run 4-6 servers without breaking a sweat if things are all
working well. They may not be state of the art, but both are overkill for running this antique
game engine. This is not a hardware issue.
Mooo !

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016, 16:58

OK I think I might know what's up with Tonatiuh. Have you tried waiting for a lot of time for Tonatiuh to spawn? Basically the Coop Archdemon is supposed to activate the Unreal difficulty portal battle directly, but Gasbags and Warlords will only appear in Hard/Unreal. However Tonatiuh will still appear BUT ONLY MUUUUUUUUUUCH LATER.

I'll get rid of the Archdemon Boss for coop only, so the SP counterparts will be used, each one activating the specific difficulty-filtered portal battle.
ImageImage

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016, 04:08

Ok, finally i finished G59, a bad end, because Yaksha map is unavailable, my rules are that, if there is a new version, RESTART anything, and don't use too much save games, just a very few, only when i think it's the best moment, well, i do this to create my savegames if i want to play the save games again, for now, since i finished, i will play for fun, kill everything without save games cheat!

Here is my Review (Part 2)

► Show Spoiler

BTW, decrease the attack damage of every big shadow, in BI, there are a few big ones, in G59, there are lots of them, so you lost lots of health and armor, think about it.
P.S: Shadow Queens are fucking dangerous.

Ah, finally, i'm free to do anything now. :)
I'm going to check crap at UED. :P
I grant you the ultimate power!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016, 11:49

► Show Spoiler
ImageImage

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016, 17:39

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by FXANBSS on 30 Apr 2016, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
I grant you the ultimate power!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016, 18:51

Oh, you mean that Shadow Queen who spawns after you visit the underground section? It's still simple anyway, just head back to the underground tunnel and Tachyon beam her from there.

Exusia has actually no real randomization elements to it, however if you go back to certain areas you might fight new Shadow waves.

Regarding the tower - it's just translator messages, nothing too big.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 May 2016, 02:06

Have been doing BALANCE works on the maps today, addressing some of the major fixes. I think the general coop gameplay might be left untouched (maybe except in Map 9, it felt very slow for coop). There's going to be also a CA map as well if I have time, featuring a new powerful enemy.

Oh yeah and I fixed the health bar issue with Morax.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 May 2016, 19:41

Patch is being uploaded atm. Hopefully there shouldn't be anything game breaking.
By the way

• The patch is very large in terms of changelog, however the maps do not have huge drastic changes such as new locations or complete gameplay makeovers.
  • The CA map is inside. Changelog will describe it and the main post will have a related bonus showoff section once the patch is up.
  • Delete all your current G59 music tracks from your folder (use the old readme for reference), because the new patch has the entire tracklist now, all renamed+sorted.
  • I'm not doing any other major patches until Map 12 is done. There will be minor bugfixes through hotfix patches only if necessary.
  • Package will come as 7zip, so mind that.
ImageImage

Previous Next