Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[UT] Χέοψ DORADO -Final Ver-

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [UT] Χέοψ ~Cheope~ DORADO

Post Posted: 24 May 2018, 19:25

New small patch available. This is the final -final- version of this map. I had no time to repackage for now, so just get what's inside the google drive folder.
Precache setting turned on is really good on this level.

Mister_Prophet wrote:

alerting you on this as I said in the review thread

• MAP CHANGES
    • Xeops' own texture pack and texturing have been updated, including macro "bumping" support.
    • The secret Combat Boots have been removed.
    • The secret Turbo Helm has been replaced with a Kevlar Suit and a Shield Belt.
    • Three Clips and one Minigun ammo pack removed in the Horus pool area.
    • Krall Elites do not appear anymore in the Horus pool courtyard - only regular Krall do. This also stops the weird clashes between them.
    • The message related to the above change found in the same area do not mention anymore the Krall going haywire due to the high environmental temperature.
    • The Krall Seers in the Horus pool courtyard now appear on all difficulties.
  • ITEM CHANGES
    • Chainsaw damage increased from 40/220 to 65/255.
    • Quadshot's primary fire single shell damage increased from 13 to 14.
    • Shock Rifle's headshot damage increased from 180 to 240.
    • Pulse Gun's primary fire orb damage decreased from 30 to 25.
    • Pulse Gun's secondary fire beam damage decreased from 170 to 150.
    • Regular Ripper's razor blades damage buffed: from 30/180 to 45/225 (regular/headshot).
    • Ripper's explosive blades damage buffed from 80 to 115.
    • Accuracy of Svarog's firemodes slightly increased.
    • Minigun's main damage decreased from 8 to 6 (random damage remains 24).

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH HERE
Last edited by UB_ on 26 Jul 2018, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018, 22:12

Small note: finally updated the XeopsDorado.7z pack with the last changes. If you never downloaded the release beforehand then the separate patch isn't necessary anymore; otherwise if you forgot to update but had the original Dorado version, you can still use the separate patch link in the post above.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018, 10:47

Visibility/notoriety bump!

Note to those who didn't see the MOTW thread, you can see a playthrough here. This was for the original DORADO ver, not the final one above (it mostly differs for texture choices in terms of noticeability)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqGxs500mg

I have dropped any plan to make a sequel since it isn't necessary, not too many people around and I have to move on with life. I'd really wish this could be ported to 227.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018, 21:50

It's Summer and it's hot so I replayed this map and decided that few more stuff needed to be fixed, also tomorrow pegboard nerds and knife party are releasing an egyptian-sounding collab so I really felt like releasing a new patch.

New patch updates UB01-Xeops.unr and XpsEgyptSet.utx, changes are the following:
  • More texture changes to make UT's lowres Egypt textures less prevalent, and a more rocky exterior for the Ziggurat.
  • Various lighting fixes under the sunlight (blackness or wrong illumination).
  • One smoke generator removed on the way to the Ziggurat for performance purposes.
  • The second Reptloid ambush (the 4x one directly after the first) will have two of them not appearing on Easy and Medium difficulties.
  • The Skaarj+Krall wave after the first round of the final boss fight will now consist of 7 spawns instead of 8 on Easy/Medium/Hard, 14 instead of 16 on Unreal difficulty.

Download here.
It's the OP repackage link, since when compressed in a 7zip it's just smaller than giving out the modified files. The only things that have been updated are the map and the Xeops' texture file, as well as the readme.

Thread will be kept bumped to top for the foreseeable future. Also updated the shots at the end of the main page, with imgur links.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018, 21:46

I finally got around to playing Xeops! It was a worthwhile experience and a fun 1h40 to spend.

I played on Medium difficulty. I was a big fan of the architecture and massive scale of the level; very well one of the largest Unreal spaces I know! The mobility boost from "quadshot-jumping" with the Quadshot's altfire came in handy when traversing the large areas, though apparently it was not intended. :D

The gameplay was rather curious; in my opinion, the Minigun was a bit too "perfect" with its pinpoint accuracy and ability to laserbeam enemies across the map, as well as the massive amounts of ammo and strong damage. I barely found myself using weapons such as the Freezer or Ripper; anytime I did, I put myself at a huge disadvantage.

I found the difficulty to show a jarring jump from "super easy" to "nail-bitingly hard". Also, not being aware that I'll have to backtrack the entire way, I used a bit too many resources and health packs on my first round through the level, only to find myself missing health for the return trip. This is mostly mitigated by health fruit in the gardens, but it felt odd that I would be led to use up all the "super health" (UT health packs going beyond 100 HP) first, and then be forced to feed off Unreal medpacks and fruit later to sustain myself.

There were also other gameplay choices I disagreed with, such as the SK6 Brutes at the bottom of the stairs to the main pyramid, and the several enemy types with undodgeable seeking missiles which represent "unavoidable damage".

But overall, it was a fun romp, with outstanding graphics. And whatever issues I had with the gameplay didn't stop me from finishing and enjoying it! The way that translator messages were set up to explain *any* possible question one might have had about the setting (Such as "why are enemies teleporting in? Why are there supplies lying around in this temple?") was almost cute; UB's setting has almost no blind spot. :D

Keep it up UB! But in 227 next time! ;)
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018, 18:33

ividyon wrote:I finally got around to playing Xeops! It was a worthwhile experience and a fun 1h40 to spend.

I played on Medium difficulty. I was a big fan of the architecture and massive scale of the level; very well one of the largest Unreal spaces I know! The mobility boost from "quadshot-jumping" with the Quadshot's altfire came in handy when traversing the large areas, though apparently it was not intended. :D

Aww yeah. For everyone, the playthrough misses two secrets (one of these involving a miniboss in the opposite courtyard of the Predators) and an optional Fighter spawning in the Horus pool area as you get back.

I was completely unaware of the Quadshot's secondary fire's momentum push. Blockplayers were all around the place for pure precaution but yeah you can skip some stuff like the battle before the big pyramid. The one time you touched the coop teleport was an ultra lucky accident.

I will probably ask Feralidragon for some help, he understands weapon code MUUUUUUCH MORE than me because I can't figure out the oldskool Quadshot code (it's written horribly - but I can at least set to recharge three ammo per time instead of one).

ividyon wrote:The gameplay was rather curious; in my opinion, the Minigun was a bit too "perfect" with its pinpoint accuracy and ability to laserbeam enemies across the map, as well as the massive amounts of ammo and strong damage. I barely found myself using weapons such as the Freezer or Ripper; anytime I did, I put myself at a huge disadvantage.

The Ripper IS strong - but you need to aim for the head, or whatever is the head's collision value. The damage is 225 and at that ROF you can tear down enemies in no time (especially Brutes and the huge Krall). I will not buff the damage but I may increase the target box height for headshots.

The Freezer is more of a bonus tool that you use when you just feel like it. The damage is generally high but there are enemies that resist it including the final boss (only one optional mini-boss, which you didn't face, is weak to it).

The Minigun is fine I guess. Most of the gameplay was designed with this weapon in the mind, and it's probably a good thing that after 20 years in Unreal the Minigun becomes a star weapon in a map instead of being completely useless. It was something that I really wanted to achieve.

ividyon wrote:I found the difficulty to show a jarring jump from "super easy" to "nail-bitingly hard". Also, not being aware that I'll have to backtrack the entire way, I used a bit too many resources and health packs on my first round through the level, only to find myself missing health for the return trip. This is mostly mitigated by health fruit in the gardens, but it felt odd that I would be led to use up all the "super health" (UT health packs going beyond 100 HP) first, and then be forced to feed off Unreal medpacks and fruit later to sustain myself.

The UT health packs going beyond 100 is only specified in the OP post's story info. No idea how to hint it in-game without some forced exposition (which I personally think there's a lot of).
Generally once you learn where are the items and what they give you it becomes very easy.

ividyon wrote:There were also other gameplay choices I disagreed with, such as the SK6 Brutes at the bottom of the stairs to the main pyramid, and the several enemy types with undodgeable seeking missiles which represent "unavoidable damage".

The homing stuff ain't going away because I wanted some NOTICE-ME enemies that require priority over all, as well as promoting aggressive/reactionary game styles. Killing things asap is a better strategy because no matter what you do, you'll eventually get hit by bolts. Getting overwhelmed in a corner is the worst thing that can happen.

The SK6 Brutes though are something I have to rectify. I never liked that portion and every time I patch this map I forget about it. Simply put I don't have a legit replacement, otherwise I can force the Brutes to never move or to make their mortars non-instakill.

ividyon wrote:Keep it up UB! But in 227 next time! ;)

Heh. If I had to do a sequel to Xeops (just one) the only option is to stay with the same framework (the gameplay part is too essential) and there's one bizzarre concept I'd like to do. I've yet to decide anything. Proph also is nowhere atm so I'm not expecting any review soon, which means I can work on another patch for this at least.

Thanks again!

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018, 17:57

I like pretty much all things ancient Egyptian and this looks like a fun romp. I always found the Egypt texture set difficult to light well, with always having too many dark spots and some random black spots here and there. I do like the scale of the place, and it's in keeping with Egypt's massive temples. I've played way too much Assassin's Creed Origins in the past few months, but it's still cool to go back and see some old Unreal Egyptian content. Nice work UB.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Hellkeeper
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018, 00:08

I'm currently playing this map since I wasn't aware of it and you mentioned it here. I've only played for a few minutes and I'm only at the small pyramid in the middle of a large atrium, but this is nice already.
I like the altered weapons, especially the minigun. I always liked the Unreal model for it and it's a shame it wasn't as great as it looked back in the original game, I'm glad you made if your mission to have it be the main tool and I enjoy it very much.
The architecture is simple enough but so large it becomes instantly humbling, the theme is well executed and the myserious music fits the atmosphere very well. The dark parts with only the flashlight are nice too. In my opinion, it's a very nice mix of Serious Sam and Tomb Raider. Except the SS parts have a definitely Unreal feel to them.
I'll be playing this in the coming days, I haven't read the entire blurb you posted at the beginning of the topic though, so I'm a bit at a loss as to what I'm doing and why, who are these enemies and what I'm trying to achieve, but the exploration is a reward in itself with these impressive landscapes. As for the battles, they vary from challenging and fun to frustratingly hard, but I like a challenge from time to time. Truth be told, I'm at a point where I'm wondering how I can proceed: three paths are open to me and a huge battle awaits me in each one of them, I have no shield and 41 health. Maybe the Difficult level was too hard.
An impressive and fresh project. I'm enjoying it very much. :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018, 11:04

Hellkeeper wrote:.
I'll be playing this in the coming days, I haven't read the entire blurb you posted at the beginning of the topic though, so I'm a bit at a loss as to what I'm doing and why, who are these enemies and what I'm trying to achieve, but the exploration is a reward in itself with these impressive landscapes. As for the battles, they vary from challenging and fun to frustratingly hard, but I like a challenge from time to time. Truth be told, I'm at a point where I'm wondering how I can proceed: three paths are open to me and a huge battle awaits me in each one of them, I have no shield and 41 health. Maybe the Difficult level was too hard.

Ha I've just played it again in the last few days after testing more minor texture changes. The map is not easy to play for sure, especially from Hard on, due to the changes to weapons and enemies as well. It's a battle of reflexes and overall there are still some things I'm not happy with (the SK6 Behemoths being wonky even though the Ripper destroys them and the unlock buttons at the end of the dark tomb section being hard to spot when they should be instead essential).

Did you spot the Nali Fruits placed next to vegetation groups? Those may help.
As for the pyramid atrium part: left and right zones are optional but contain enemies and useful stuff including a powerful new weapon. Way forward is the mandatory (there is an Armor as you enter, on the right alongside ammo); that one is prob the hardest part in the game, you should snipe-kill as much as Krall as possible at the start and then go around the place, luring enemies inside the buildings and kill them with whatever you got like shock combos. Be careful that going near the forcefield on the other side of the zone triggers another ambush, which is dangerous when Krall/Brutes are still alive.

An armor is hidden in that narrow corridor in the dark tomb (inside one of those alcoves) and there's a Shield Belt inside the pool in one of the optional courtyards (watch out at Mantas). There are also two secret areas to be found inside the tomb (one requires a hidden button to be pressed inside the tomb, the other simply requires the unlock-all button at the end of the tomb section, just search the rooms before the pyramid atrium area), and one of these secret areas contain another button for another secret that you will likely spot later in the level.

Mind that the Ripper and Rifle deal truckload of damage with headshots, while the Shock Rifle is all kind of buffed (the Combo, while extremely strong now, consumes more ammo so be wary).

Hope you enjoy it more and thanks! Still thinking about making a sequel to this, in the sense of "another mission". If that's being done I'll release a final final final version of Xeops with more texture changes and some of the most annoying gameplay/tech issues being crushed down.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: [UT] Χέοψ DORADO -Final Ver-

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018, 21:19

DOWNLOAD THE FINAL VERSION HERE

The final definitive version. Got the time and goodwill to get rid of some of the more annoying things that plagued the map and took them away as much as I could. If you were still waiting for some final final FINAL version, this is it, enjoy!

• MAP CHANGES
    • More old UT Egypt.utx texture replacements, and other various updates with pre-existing ones.
    • The two SK6 Behemoth minibosses have their health reduced from 1200 to 1000.
    • The two SK6 Behemoth minibosses do not move around anymore.
    • The Krall+Brute ambush that occurs when you get close to the Ripper now happens if you enter one of the two tombs instead of directly after climbing the stairs (meaning you can safely read that translator log on the ground without anyone coming).
    • Some translator logs should emit a stronger light (the one mentioned above and the commander's log in one of the two buildings on the path to the Ziggurat).
    • Fixed the Silence.mp3-playing RMusic_Controller activating after defeating the SK6 Behemoth minibosses; now if you load the game after its activation, the game will keep playing the Silence.mp3 instead of the action song.
    • Removed the smoke generator on the way to the Ziggurat. Not the best place for it to stay when a lot of huge battles occur on that location.
    • One of the two "unlock-all" buttons at the end of the catacomb section (on the side of the Horus courtyard) is now illuminated, therefore actually visible in the dark.
    • The two Merc groups at the beginning of the final battle have all their movement speed slightly slowed down.

• ITEM CHANGES
    • Chainsaw's damage has been increased from 65/255 to 75/290 (primary/secondary).
    • Quadshot's primary fire single shell damage increased from 14 to 15.
    • Quadshot's reload time has been a tiny bit increased.
    • Quadshot's secondary fire's air jump exploit has been fixed (knockback heavily toned down).
    • Shock Rifle's primary fire damage has been increased from 60 to 80.
    • Shock Rifle's headshot damage is now 320 (from 240).
    • Shock Rifle's combo now consumes less ammo and its damage is now 560 (from 512).
    • Regular Ripper's razor blades damage increased: from 45/225 to 50/250 (regular/headshot).
    • Regular Ripper's razor blades have their speed increased (as fast as the explosive blades now)
    • Ripper's explosive blades damage has been increased from 115 to 150.

Mister_Prophet wrote:

alerting you again that a new (and final) version is out, in case you may still want to play and talk about the map.
Hellscrag wrote:

Play this when you have time man >:Z

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [UT] Χέοψ DORADO -Final Ver-

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018, 12:29

Ooh, will have to play this when I get back from holiday.
StalwartUK

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018, 21:49

Finally finished it, what a blast. This level was certainly a welcome surprise for 2018 and it's impressive that we still see original Unreal SP content 20 years after the original game came out. It certainly gives UT a real kick in the pants and it's probably one of the best looking UT SP levels ever made, I don't think a custom (SP) has made as extensive use of custom hi-res textures as this one has. Gameplay is top notch, interesting fusion of EXU2 and traditional Unreal styles.

Are you still planning on a sequel to this? I fully understand if you aren't, considering how much effort Xeops must've took and the relative decline of the community in recent years.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018, 14:58

StalwartUK wrote:Are you still planning on a sequel to this? I fully understand if you aren't, considering how much effort Xeops must've took and the relative decline of the community in recent years.

I'm trying to plan a sequel to this, I have some ideas on the mind (most of the good ideas feasible on the engine I had were thrown onto G59, to be fair) but I'm still trying to figure out what to do. Xeops came alive in like ONE month (and an additional month and a half of new versions) because it's all from a concept I had in mind since years.

I've been constantly changing theme ideas on a sequel, like at first in a modern south European set of villas, or something Greek, or something entirely urban.
I really wish hi-tech/alien hires textures on the quality of the Egyptian ones seen in Xeops were easy to come by :/ (though there are some from U2 which could still work with some edits etc)

Xenofish released days ago a new ambient EP with songs having specific titles and I'm getting inspired into a certain design direction. If there's one thing I want to do with the sequel it's it trying to steer away from Xeops' gameplay/atmosphere, for sure. I made it a personal challenge of always doing things differently like how I did with every level in G59.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019, 23:48

Oh shit it's been a year since the day I started making Xeops... man what a ride.
I will see if the late Spring will burn me some passion. Time to let out THE RAMPAGE.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019, 04:35

Sneak peek of a reshade mod I'm working on
Would be taking more pics of Xeops if it didn't crash on me everytime
M'nali

Previous Next