Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Whatever happened to The Chosen One?

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Whatever happened to The Chosen One?

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 11:59

it was postponed and postponed and now i can't even find a thread about it here :shake:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 12:04

Search function, or check the Upcoming Project forum, or

http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34
ImageImage

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 12:09

ohk, i'm deleting this thread if i can :B

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 12:26

You can also visit our ModDB page (http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-chosen-one). And yeah - we're alive and working. Don't forget that we also doing stuff for Residual Decay (meh and Kaka). TCO is playable, but we still need few little details to add.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 12:53

Why is it so many good projects are 'nearly done, just adding a few little things' or in prolonged beta testing? So many things are almost out, but just not quite! :rolleyes:

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 14:11

Legendslayer222 wrote:Why is it so many good projects are 'nearly done, just adding a few little things' or in prolonged beta testing? So many things are almost out, but just not quite! :rolleyes:

I would find it more irritating if it weren't for the way almost every notable release in the last few years (of course, speedmaps are exempt as the time to polish was low anyway) has had some sort of gamebreaking bug or crippling compatability issue in its first release; maybe we'll get something that works the first time with a longer polishing stage.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 19:18

Gahhh.

Firestorm, SP2D, and The Chosen One are all in betatesting? Some of them have been in this state for over a year now! It's gotten quite irritating.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 19:30

Jesus christ people, quit your bitching. NONE of these people have an obligation to release anything; it's only through their enthusiasm for the game and the community that they do so. If you keep hassling them about it, it's just going to make them not want to work on it as hard. I have no doubt that real life is also a huge factor in getting things done; be PATIENT.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 20:05

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:Gahhh.

Firestorm, SP2D, and The Chosen One are all in betatesting? Some of them have been in this state for over a year now! It's gotten quite irritating.

Try doing such stuff for yourself LOL_PEANUTS - then you'll know all the resons why TCO/FS/RD are still in dev stage.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 20:15

Kaka wrote:

Try doing such stuff for yourself LOL_PEANUTS - then you'll know all the resons why TCO/FS/RD are still in dev stage.

In fairness, Peanuts and Shivaxi ARE churning out content rapidly with the WTF series.

I'm not saying that I echo Peanuts' criticism though.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 20:18

the production times are ridiculous from a player's point of view, but if you take a closer look and realize that most 'popular' UTSP devs have very little free time left to spare for modding, it all makes sense. adding to that is the general lack of people to fill important positions (i can imagine animators being a huge problem), which may additionally halt progress on a mod as ambitious as Residual Decay. we'll have to suck it up!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 20:31

Hellscrag wrote:
Kaka wrote:

In fairness, Peanuts and Shivaxi ARE churning out content rapidly with the WTF series.

I'm not saying that I echo Peanuts' criticism though.

WTF looks really cool ye that's true... But you can't compare WTF mappack to RD game. Don't know how FS will look like but RD and TCO are projects that need a trmenedous work to be done only to get to beta state, then there's all the scripting fixing lvl design and fucking particle textures for everything that can emitt stuff. Oh and dont forget new weapons and pawns ( idea,model, texture, animation) - lots of them actually. And ~25 Enslaved huge like playable maps - I'm not a amster of unrealed here - but try making at least one map as good looking as Enslaved - then do 20 more. Qnd then you realize you got school,work,wife, kid, a movie to watch, a book to read, and ( fuc yeah) other projects to work on, not counting the fact that this is a over ten year old engine and maybe ity would be nice to follow upwith the new tech. So stop bitching - this stuff isnt easy to do.

nikosv

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 21:04

Shivaxi and I know that we're novices, but we do our best to give the public what they want as soon as possible, without sacrificing quality. I can't speak for him, but I know that I am aware of what makes a monster pack work in the end— the gameplay restructuring, all of the engine overhauling, the new content, the endless list of maps, all of the coordination, how it all comes together— all of which takes eons to come up with.

No, my life does not depend on the release of Residual Decay and other long-standing friends. I'm not asking for a release date, I just think some of you might have been quick to stamp the status "beta testing" onto your projects (I believe I heard someone say that the chosen one was at 98%?).

Then again, it's kind of the fault of the public for forcing all of you to give them some sort of phrase indicative of the status of the projects. Rumors of giant mappacks being released can spread like wildfire, and soon enough everyone looks at the dev team with their mouths open.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 21:31

For the record, Residual Decay is not in Beta testing. Not even close. I have already played and beaten Firestorm, but with the story overhaul and the expanded ending...Turobman is really gonna give the pack and edge. Unfortunately for him he is the busiest guy in the world.

It really comes down to content. I appreciate a player's point of view. But here's some things to consider;

Xidia was made in a series of months, and Xidia Gold was made even faster. The original Xidia release featured very little custom content and was mostly a map-driven pack where one of the levels was compiled completely from DM levels already released by one of the mappers.

Deja Vu's first release was pretty fast, although it was strictly a map-driven project and it was made in a time when there were plenty of ably-skilled mappers in this forum and they all got together to punch it out.

Seven Bullets took longer to make than Xidia, but not by much. And the fact that it was largely a Redux-pack helped speed things along. The custom content was not much more advanced than the form used in Xidia, which in itself was a lite-version of ONP's code. Most of the work was, again, maps.

ONP took what? Two. Three years?

Packs like RD and TCO have been in dev for some years now and they both front a lot of stuff besides the maps. I can't speak for TCO, but for me RD is like my final hurrah for big pack-sized mapping and maybe even mapping in general. Everything I've done culminates to what I'm trying to do with RD, and I couldn't do it unless I had all the experience from my DM levels, Xidia, Skytown, Seven Bullets, ect. I always wanted to make a pack for Unreal that was the end-all, undisputed mammoth. And the way I see it, I already established myself here with my other maps and packs...so I can afford to tailor this one to precision. I think the same can be said for Turboman and Kaka in relation to their projects.

We all want to leave this community with a big bang before our window for this kind of hobby closes completely :o, and in this case that means there are at least 3 big bangs coming directly. And as a player, I'm just as anxious as you guys are to play TCO and see Firestorm in its final form...and maybe see a revival of team BFNP.

Kaka

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009, 21:46

To be honest I wanna go pro with this ( not with TCO, i mean with game dev). TCO is just a first step to achive that, RD is second, and stuff I have been designing for future project is the last one - i had some job possibilites ( one was in now the biggest polish studio) but i said to myslef - what a noob i am - and decided to get some experience first. This is what im doing now - TCO and RD, and some other smaller stuff here and there involving 3d modeling etc. TCO is my second child you knwo :P I need it to be perfect. I'm not worried about RD - Proph is there hehe. Both projects backed up by Raven - who along with Uarch (who is missing) and dots is in my opinion one of teh most talented coders in U community. So just wait, be patient - TCO is coming.

Next