Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Unreal Grief Chapter 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Unreal Grief Chapter 1

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 14:25

Unreal Grief Chapter 1
What would grief be if no one felt it? No one knows, because everyone feels it...
Progress Report: Released
Image Image
Image Image
Story: You (Bernard) and your pilot (Zak) are the two members of a UMS scout ship. Like many others, you fall foul of Na Pali's gravitational pull and crash into a hollow mountain. Inside is a massive cave with four towers. Zak didn't survive the crash, but you did. Time to explore.
Things you can look forwards to (or ignore): A couple of slightly customized creature skins, two maps, a playable one and the end flyby. Oh, and a quadshot. For Unreal Tournament.
------------------
Download: http://www.filefront.com/14746201/UnrealGrief1.rar/
Note: This is a .rar!
Note 2: Report any bugs if you find them!
Note 3: Don't forget to read the readme!
Oh hell I completely forgot to include oldquadshot.u! oldquadshot download if you don't already have it
Last edited by Legendslayer222 on 18 Oct 2009, 14:32, edited 2 times in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 14:26

I did it vaguely in the upcoming maps page format, but as it is now released it doesn't really need to be there.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 17:36

I've just played this. I can either give you informal feedback now, or I can do a short review for the main site. What would you prefer?

Reviews are pretty much permanent. If this map is intended to be a standalone release, the review is probably a good idea. However, if this is more of a "beta" release of the first map of a proposed larger map pack then informal feedback might be the better option.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 17:37

If the map is for UT anyway, why did you use an external quadshot? There's a quadshot that comes with Oldskool, called olweapons.olquadshot.

Also, downloading, will give this a try right away.

Edit:
Eh, yeah. A fun short ride I suppose. You improved a lot in terms of scripted sequences (Surprise Brute!), but there's still the usual newbie issues with construction (often things didn't really make sense) and gameplay balance. The Mercenary fight was utterly annoying. I kept getting one-shot by the missiles, so in the end I just sniped him with the Ripper from above the hole without entering the room.
The concept is interesting, but I didn't really like the way you blocked unintended shortcuts with instakill areas.

Keep on improving! It's a nice thing you release things so often. Do you have a larger scale project you are working on?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 18:36

Hellscrag wrote:Reviews are pretty much permanent. If this map is intended to be a standalone release, the review is probably a good idea. However, if this is more of a "beta" release of the first map of a proposed larger map pack then informal feedback might be the better option.

Well, I suppose this is pretty much the finished thing. I did a fair bit of testing before hand.

sana wrote:Eh, yeah. A fun short ride I suppose. You improved a lot in terms of scripted sequences (Surprise Brute!), but there's still the usual newbie issues with construction (often things didn't really make sense) and gameplay balance. The Mercenary fight was utterly annoying.

I died a ton with the Merc too. Not the best boss admittably. Probably harder than the final boss.
Didn't make sense? Do you mean half the rooms didn't seem to have any purpose, or why would it look like that or what?

sana wrote:The concept is interesting, but I didn't really like the way you blocked unintended shortcuts with instakill areas.

Couldn't think of a better way to block them... Annoying and progress ruining as they are. Or do you think I should just put player blocking things next time?

sana wrote:Keep on improving! It's a nice thing you release things so often. Do you have a larger scale project you are working on?

No big projects, those seem to grind to a halt halfway through. I think I'll make chapter 2 a bit bigger, though.

Thanks for your comments.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 19:32

hey, nice work LegendSlayer.. this level made me feel happy inside :)

SPOILER:

Bernard was a nice guy.. I hope he didn't die :(

I hope to play chapter 2.... but I urge you not to rush it. Take your time and try to make Chapter 2 look better than Chapter 1 visually. I'd suggest making only inside areas and no outside areas for the next chapter. I think making good transitions between an inside area is much much easier and better for practice.

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 19:36

jackrabbit wrote:hey, nice work LegendSlayer.. this level made me feel happy inside :)

Then I did my job.:)

jackrabbit wrote:SPOILER:

Bernard was a nice guy.. I hope he didn't die :(

Spoiler Reply:

Chapter 2 would be very boring without him. :wink:

User avatar ividyon

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 19:51

With "it didn't make sense" I mean things like..
A bridge made of glass between two islands, held in place only by 2 narrow iron beams? A huge square door going right through that bridge of glass, seemingly phasing through the glass when it opens?

Also, the story kind of breaks immersion. An impaled crewmen writing a translator log to encourage his pal to survive? Mercenaries planning to blow up neighbouring Skaarj, then letting one of them march through their base like it's nothing? An emo Skaarj disgusted by his own violence that's trying to kill himself performing another act of violence by attacking the player?
Also, there's a suspicious amount of holes you have to fall through. Level progression could be a bit more imaginative. :P

All in all I think you should decide if you go for a completely humorous, bizarre approach or if you're aiming for a serious story. The map felt like you rushingly brainstormed story segments and translator events on the fly as you made the map.

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 21:19

sana wrote:With "it didn't make sense" I mean things like..
A bridge made of glass between two islands, held in place only by 2 narrow iron beams? A huge square door going right through that bridge of glass, seemingly phasing through the glass when it opens?

Oh, THAT kind of not making sense.

sana wrote:Also, there's a suspicious amount of holes you have to fall through. Level progression could be a bit more imaginative. :P

Bernard loves the exhilaration of falling. :B

sana wrote:The map felt like you rushingly brainstormed story segments and translator events on the fly as you made the map.

...Would it surprise you if I had?

This hopefully will be remembered, I'll do a bit more planning for the story and build of chapter 2.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 22:25

Possiby the shortest turnaround time for a review ever?

http://www.unrealsp.org/community/revie ... rief1.html

In short, I think it's a definite improvement on Rise of USP, but you still have some way to go. I hope you feel able to take the criticism in the constructive spirit in which it was intended. :tup:

Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 22:52

Hellscrag wrote:Possiby the shortest turnaround time for a review ever?

Well, there wasn't too much to review.

Hellscrag wrote:I hope you feel able to take the criticism in the constructive spirit in which it was intended. :tup:

Yes, it's a fair review. I will try and make things better for chapter 2 (and hopefully bump it up to a 30% score :P )

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009, 01:35

sana wrote:If the map is for UT anyway, why did you use an external quadshot? There's a quadshot that comes with Oldskool, called olweapons.olquadshot.

Also, downloading, will give this a try right away.

Edit:
Eh, yeah. A fun short ride I suppose. You improved a lot in terms of scripted sequences (Surprise Brute!), but there's still the usual newbie issues with construction (often things didn't really make sense) and gameplay balance. The Mercenary fight was utterly annoying. I kept getting one-shot by the missiles, so in the end I just sniped him with the Ripper from above the hole without entering the room.
The concept is interesting, but I didn't really like the way you blocked unintended shortcuts with instakill areas.

Keep on improving! It's a nice thing you release things so often. Do you have a larger scale project you are working on?

I've seen the Quadshot LS222 uses. It's Better than the Oldskool one. The Oldskool one is kinda broken... After you empty all 9 shells, it won't load up to the full again-it can only reload to 1. Tis a pain. Also, secondary fire launches 4, wheras the one LS222 uses you can choose how many to load with Alt-Fire. I H-A-T-E the Oldskool one. I found the same bug in the 7B one (Or are they the same?)
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar ividyon

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009, 02:02

You've just missed the fact that Oldskool features a Reload button separate from primary and alt fire, which can be used to re-load the Quadshot (and the Oldskool Automag as well).

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009, 08:36

sana wrote:You've just missed the fact that Oldskool features a Reload button separate from primary and alt fire, which can be used to re-load the Quadshot (and the Oldskool Automag as well).

So THAT's how you reload the bloody thing.. THANK YOU! I had no idea. I fought the scarred one by going Fire-fire-fire-fire-fire-reload-fire-reload... etcetera. :lol:
ImageImage

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009, 08:41

Yeah, gotta hold it down. I didn't think to have that fixed at the time because back then I thought it would balance the weapon. It probably did, but in a very cumbersome way in retrospect.

Next