Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Unreal Educational Game - Early Alpha

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject: Unreal Educational Game - Early Alpha

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009, 20:46

Teaching English on elementary level using educational computer games.

Learning as an adventure in which a child takes part and has direct influence on the game's world. (or something like that)

That's more less my MA thesis subject and statement. Still lot of work need to be put into it, I know... It's a working-title XD So, what I need to do is to develop a set of games (one game, different levels) designed for elementary school student.

I plan to use Unreal Engine - Fire. The problem is, I have like... Erm... 6 months? My previous subject became totally unfeasible that's why I had to modify it and make it more... investigational, lets say.

That's why I am starting a new project, which will be a set of levels, where player will be forced to solve a bunch of puzzles connected with English...

Not an easy task concerning time.

That's why it is possible that I'll need help of some of you on preparing simple - really simple - levels, scripts, SOUNDS, or whatever. How much help I'll need depends on how the idea and development will be going.

I don't know if I succeed, that's why I'm still trying to somehow develop my last thesis subject.

Who would be keen to help me save my lazy ass, that is the question.

Soon, screenshots and - as it will be developed as a totally separate segment - download of a test version. Or two.

So?
Last edited by Anonymous on 01 Apr 2010, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009, 21:22

I would be willing to help pitch ideas, but using the Unreal engine for ENGLISH seems a bit more novel of a concept than I'm used to! But there's bound to be ways to show things.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009, 21:23

Why Unreal? Why not pick some 2D engine like Scirra?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009, 22:12

Cos I'm better in UEngine then any other 2D engine. What's more, there's more ways to make it interesting in 3D, than 2D. Furthermore, mechanics are better, I think. Aaaandddd... Cos I want to!!!!1111!!!oneoneoneeleven!

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009, 16:09

I can help ya with something :) Not huge stuff though I have shitload of stuff to finish :)
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Kaka
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009, 16:12

One or two small levels - why not.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009, 17:46

Q, I am trying to work out mechanics for implementing more puzzle features into Unreal, namely refining the "grab" function and working out a new system for manipulating small buttons/levers/control panels (the idea is to have a blank weapon that the player starts with, that sends a short-range trace function when "fired," which can activate special movers. the end result? point to the lever, click it to activate it).

If you have any similar ideas, or could provide a helping hand, let me know.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009, 18:59

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:If you have any similar ideas, or could provide a helping hand, let me know.

I think I know a way. But, yes. This is one of my ideas, grabbing, extreme leavering and such.

LOL_PEANUTS wrote: the idea is to have a blank weapon that the player starts with...

I was thinking to use inventory item. Using flash light beam function to trace the actor which would activate stuff on a keypress and a VSize function (or whatever it is, I can't remember now) it is possible I think. Next week I'll try to implement some ideas, then, if someone interested, I can share them. If not, Ok XD.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009, 19:17

Make sure you give clear credit to anybody else whose work you are using... not for their sake, but so that you don't get yourself into trouble if it emerges by other means that you didn't do it all by yourself.

Not sure whether I'll be able to help... but I'll keep an eye on your thread just in case. Innovative idea!
Life is what you make of it.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009, 21:33

Hellscrag wrote:Make sure you give clear credit to anybody else whose work you are using...

Well... Yea. I couldn't imagine it other way. And thanks. :tup:

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009, 23:18

Male game character

Made in 1 day, raw textures, gonna make 'em better. What do you think?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:33

Very Manga. Pretty good for a day's work! I think he could use more polys under the nose.

Plus hands and feet, of course...

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:56

You should turn his eyes 3D for a less painted-on look. Everything else looks pretty good!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009, 21:59

Another 3 hours and...

Hellscrag wrote:Very Manga. Pretty good for a day's work! I think he could use more polys under the nose.

Plus hands and feet, of course...

Done, only needs texturing.

sana wrote:You should turn his eyes 3D for a less painted-on look.

I like that painted style. 3D eyes would take too much polys ofr the whole face cos that way I would have to make it all really high-poly.

Effect.

If I don't manage to make gameplay scripts, one map and one animated model until end of Christmas I'm afraid I'll fail on this MA topic XD

I need music. Nice, child-type music... Something fairy-tale connected. Or something. Anyone has any ideas?

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009, 22:32

MAGNIFICENT TUNE

MDR_MTUNE.UMX IT IS THE BEST MUSIC EVER

You can get it from the DMU pack that has DMU-Horbteep (an old U1 DM map)

Trust me on this.

Next