A random sentence for a random mind.

Seven bullets -> 227 platform conversion

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Dec 2009, 05:11

Mister_Prophet wrote:I must strongly advise against attempting any level rebuilds. That's a can of worms you simply don't want to pry open.

Don't worry, i've already avoided that issue completely.... none of the maps in the screenshots below have been re-rebuilt.

I've managed to convert every single map from the pack into 227g with the exception of Jones-08-pirate3.unr. The reason for this is a class called HitFx in BotPack which seems to be missing from the latest 227 botpack version. *EDIT: Issue fixed. Maps are 100% converted w/o being rebuilt.

here are some thumbnails of the progress so far (800x600 full):

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Now its time to work on SevenB.u (the hard part).............. I'm thinking the SBQuadshot might give me the most trouble out of everything (and this is because of 227's quadshot which is significantly different).. but i'll have to wait and see...

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009, 18:20

Spent at least an hour and a half last night trying to figure out the dumb quadshot mesh problems. On top of that, the alt-fire seems to not work correctly which I will have to go back and fix later.

A friend of mine who is also a Seven Bullets fan requested me change the alt-fire of the SBQuadshot to instead do 'reload' used by the OS reload key in the OS menu, instead of the 6 round burst. Then assign a button like bextra2 to do the 6 round burst...... Personally, I don't like the quadshot at all (not just the SB one but all of them), and don't use it when playing seven bullets. Its pretty sad, because I'm a huge shotgun fan (Doom, Resident Evil and Gears of War being my favorites).

When asked for my opinion about the quadshot, I usually just reply with "It was taken out of the game for a reason. Its animations are complete and utter shit. If the Epic devs didn't keep that crap unused weapon in the editor like they did, we would have never seen it again. Too bad."

Plus the fact that unreal is a fast paced game, and I don't think shotguns work well in those enviroments (see quake 2)

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 01:49

But like Prophet said, it needs to mirror the UT version completely in every way, falts and all.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 04:06

Yeah, please remember that your making a port. If you're going to start "fixing" things in the gameplay then we're gonna have a problem.

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 05:45

yeah, yeah, yeah... I have no intention of changing the SBQuadshot anyway.. Like said before, I don't use it. I did notice that the stuff that extends UIWeapons gives me the most problems (with the ol___ superclasses). The SB weapons that just extend Tournament Weapon are alot easier to deal with.

I think the first beta release will definitely have some b0rked weapons (the quadshot and the machine mags in particular are being really stubborn). Other than that, everything should be pretty much 1-to-1 from what I can see. Maybe someone with high unreal weapon expertise could assist me on the SBQuadshot and SevenMachineMag classes? I think it is really the only help I might need in the end. The last resort would be to also convert the UIWeapons class and the olAutoMag and olQuadShot classes... but I really don't want to do that.

If I continue subclassing Unrealshare.automag, I'm going to have to make an automag class that has properties that can be accessed by the slave class generated in the SevenMachineMag... so if I'm extending Unrealshare.Automag, i'm going to have to make another automag named SevenMMSlave or something. In less technical terms... its going to be one hell of a workaround to get it working properly.

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 06:05

Catch Raven if you can, although he's pretty busy himself.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 09:05

Yeah - hit me on MSN/ICQ/GTalk (or PM) if you have any problems. Dunno how Ol_wapons (or whatever it's named) works, never use it myself, but you can try to rip it form OldSkool and use only this one class or try to delete dependencies.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 19:28

I say fuck it and let me put the RD automag and shotgun in... :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 19:51

huh RD leak?
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 20:02

UBerserker wrote:huh RD leak?

I guess I should have said, "Let Prophet put it in", because I indeed have no RD files at my disposal :B

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 22:16

Fraid not :o

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 23:51

:lol: Nice try. Forgot to say please I suppose
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010, 16:53

How's this conversion coming along?
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar jackrabbit

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010, 17:08

jetv435 wrote:How's this conversion coming along?

I halted development when someone from the 227 dev team IM'ed me on MSN telling me they converted OldSkool -> 227 (Probably wanting to piss me off). The entire point of the project was to get this pack running in 227 without the oldskool dependencies. Now, the pack will be able to run in 227 (nearly directly) by using OldSkool in 227. Needless to say, if people do reject having a version of OldSkool for 227, development will continue and this will be finished properly.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2010, 17:26

What I might do, and this is just my opinion, is to complete the conversion the way you wanted it to be converted, and then release it yourself. In this way, you would show this person that you're ignoring their comment, if it was meant to be seen as offensive in the first place. This would also ensure separation from dependencies on non-default packages, so that any complications of the oldskool classes would be eliminated, and that's something an oldskool conversion won't and cannot do. It's your choice because of the work you've put into it thus far, but a full, non-oldskool version has a lot more power over something that still depends on a separate, and older mod.
ModDb Portfolio

Previous Next