Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[BETA] VulkanTempel / The Volcanic Temple

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: [BETA] VulkanTempel / The Volcanic Temple

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2010, 23:23

A map by the author of Unforchers - a minicampaign included with the UT99.org Community Map Pack. This baby was released May 1st, 2007 and today I made an English translation int file for it. Screens and linkage below.

* warning: Unreal Gold required.

UnrealTexture - 2.12 MB

The original release topic is *** HERE ***

Now, according to the translator message at the end of the level, this thing was supposed to be part of a set of eight levels. Judge for yourselves if this should be continued, then we'll think of hammering editor Dave about it, shall we not?
Last edited by Delacroix on 03 Jul 2011, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 10:25

One question: Did you REALLY like this level? I mean, this was my very first map ever: It looks ugly, it is unbalanced as hell and some locations don't make any sense at all. Besides, the translator messages were written too little pulsating and had some tipping mistakes. After "releasing" this map I never opened it again because it is so bad. If you're interested in you may watch the video in my signature. That's how I wanted to continue this volcanic temple. But I also quit this project because of the lack of ernestness. Anyway, thanks for your translation. :)
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 11:17

I liked the promises it made...
I liked it's mood (a temple inside a volcanic crater, cool. There was this Nali Fire God, Novana - from ONP, I believe? Could be one of his temples)

It looks ugly

It's a beta. There is always room to improve. Add more detail, and stuff.

It is unbalanced as hell

I'd suggest not making it a first level of the pack. Creavion has created a level known by the name of Antalius - a jungle themed one. Now if you would collaborate... Volcanoes deep in the jungle are nothing new and the player could make some supplies on the course of Antalius and then jump into here. I'll leave this to you two to decide.

some locations don't make any sense at all.

It's a beta, things like that are normal in betas. There is always room to improve... Add a few more rooms, perhaps a few more puzzles...

After "releasing" this map I never opened it again because it is so bad.

BAD attitude, man, BAD attitude. You should respect your own work and patiently test, bugfix and improve the level. The project DOES HAVE potential and I'd suggest that you continue it. Not alone, get someone to help you.

Could you mail me some work in progress of the sequel? A YT vid is not enough.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 12:33

Delacroix wrote:then we'll think of hammering editor Dave about it, shall we not?

How about no? Personally this should exclusively depends from the author's decisions. Don't boss around.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 13:29

UBerserker, if you think I'm bossing around, how about YOU stop bossing around? I'd be careful with your tone, what I wrote was a semi-joke (only partially, as I on my end would like to see it continued, but not unless the author himself as at least a bit of spirit to do it when encouraged)... But you on the other hand are not his goddamn advocate, Dave can fend for himself so a bit more respect around here, please.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 13:38

...what the shit?
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 13:55

This is where stuff goes downhill... :rolleyes:

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 15:40

There was no need for the hostility, Berserker, because editor Dave already replied positively and answered the sequel question himself. ;)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 15:45

There was no hostility in my post :wink:
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 15:56

Hmm. Probably you don't actually mean it, but the way you write often makes you seem upset and dismissive; hence people take offense. :shy:
But that's enough meddling in your affairs from me...

User avatar Delacroix

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 15:57

No hostility? How about the "Don't boss around" part? Besides, let's ditch the war and transport it to some quality deathmatch when I get a better connection. My current 8kb/s limit makes me PUKE...

Anyway, a duel with you is now number 1 on my todo list, UB :) All is well...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 16:14

I never expected myself to start any kind of battle so you're free to ditch the war.
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010, 17:33

I'm glad you all calmed down.
Delacroix wrote:I liked the promises it made...
I liked it's mood (a temple inside a volcanic crater, cool. There was this Nali Fire God, Novana - from ONP, I believe? Could be one of his temples)

You are right. I played the map again now with your translations. These were really good. :tup:
Delacroix wrote:It's a beta. There is always room to improve. Add more detail, and stuff.

You saw my Unforchers map. These are my new standards. For that I'd have to change so much that it would be more worthwhile to build again from scratch.
Delacroix wrote:I'd suggest not making it a first level of the pack. Creavion has created a level known by the name of Antalius - a jungle themed one. Now if you would collaborate... Volcanoes deep in the jungle are nothing new and the player could make some supplies on the course of Antalius and then jump into here. I'll leave this to you two to decide.

You have luck - Creavion and I are currently working on "Vandora's Secret passage", a jungle/temple themed map. But there's no volcanoe yet:P
Delacroix wrote:BAD attitude, man, BAD attitude. You should respect your own work and patiently test, bugfix and improve the level. The project DOES HAVE potential and I'd suggest that you continue it. Not alone, get someone to help you.

I respect this map otherwise I would have deleted it already :D
Like I said before I should've built it again from beginning with inspirations of this map but my aims for the present are finishing "Vandora's Secret Passage" and making a sequel to my Unforchers map.
Delacroix wrote:Could you mail me some work in progress of the sequel? A YT vid is not enough.

Sorry for disappointing you but I don't want to send this to anyone. It is unfinished and you won't be satisfied with it...
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar NaliSlayer
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 21:23

:o dave u made the unforcers maps? damn i loved em,nice puzzleing. 1 little question,every time finish the 2e map it says,cannot find map unforcers 3,is there a third map?

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010, 22:01

Just a small intermezzo from me (nothing to do with the map itself).

*Start Plea*
Please people - quit jumping at each other - I've had people jumping at me (and without real cause) because of the way I write things sometimes. Bear in mind that things are written down in a haste many times and not everybody here is a native English speaker (I am not and UB is not) so misunderstandings are bound to happen.
UB does have a certain agressive writying style, but that is probably his playing style so don't take it personally and try to see the humour.
*/End Plea*

Concerning the map - screenshots are a but dark on my side so no ecstatic reaction here. But the idea of another new map coming and with the settings I just read about? - errm ... *insert ecstatic scene here*

Next