UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Unreal Rogue 2.0

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Unreal Rogue 2.0

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:20

The readme says it all:

Title : UR Techies' Tunnels
Author : Remus Shepherd <[email protected]>
Converted to Unreal 224+ by [KAOS]Casey
Email Address : [email protected]
Date/Version : Version 1.0, October 23, 1998
Version 2.0, March 03, 2010
Web site : http://ww2.sd.cybernex.net/~remus/unreal/
http://www.oldunreal.com
Description : Unreal level (UnRogue level)
Other Works : DMMixoda
Thanks to : www.unrealed.net, www.unrealized.com,
and Portal (www.planetunreal.com/portal/).
================================================================

URTechies is a Single-player level using UnRogue technology -- before play, rooms are connected randomly, random items are placed, monster teams are assembled randomly, and certain movers move to a random keyframe. This creates a level that partially assembles itself before play... giving a single-player level that is never the same twice. The end of UnRogue maps link to a random UnRogue map (maps beginning with 'UR') in the Unreal/Maps directory...so maps connect to each other in random ways. In addition, a new scoreboard keeps track of player kills by monster type, giving a rank to the player as the bodycount mounts.

The goal of UnRogue is to achieve a high degree of replayability with randomly generated Unreal levels. Random levels with random monsters is a concept that started with the original Rogue -- a game that has existed almost as long as computers themselves.

This level should run fine on any machine that runs Unreal. My PC is a Pentium 200 Mhz with 64 Meg of memory, using software rendering mode. Because I've deactivated tricky effects like coronas and fog in the game, don't expect to see them in my maps.

Files:

URTechies.unr (place in Unreal/Maps directory)
URTechies.txt (this file)
UnRogue.u (place in Unreal/System directory)

Play Information:

Single Player : Yes
Deathmatch : No
Bot pathnodes : No
Difficulty Settings : Yes
New Sounds : No
New Graphics : No
Source Included : No

Construction:
Base : None (new level)
Editor(s) used : Unrealed version 101
Known Bugs : None known in map
Brushes/polys : 165 brushes, 1376 polys
Zones/Rooms : 42 zones, 10 rooms

URTechies.unr may be distributed and/or edited freely. Comments welcome!

~~~~ A note from Victor Delacroix:

I've recently asked at OldUnreal for help in converting this gametype to modern Unreal versions and to my pleasant surprise, I was granted the privilege to be heard - [KAOS]Casey, one of the people behind the 227
patch has performed all operations necessary for this to work on Unreal build 225f. Although he refused to make it work with UT's OldSkool mod,
I decided to test this extensively and... it works with the following builds:

- Unreal 224v
- Unreal 225f (the one Casey ported it to)
- Unreal 227f
- Unreal Tournament v436

Everything that was supposed to be randomly generated, indeed IS randomly generated, making each SP experience unique as the author intended.

My plea to all of the Unreal community is as follows:

---

DO NOT CREATE MAPS WITH FILENAMES BEGINNING WITH 'UR', UNLESS THEY ARE MADE FOR UNROGUE MOD! The UnRogue mod detects any maps with UR prefix and it is CRUCIAL that no maps besides the UnRogue maps contain this prefix.

---

I'll see to it personally that this modification is advertised properly as its potential for single player modifications is immense due to its unique features. Thanks, Casey, for restoring this gem. Thanks, Remus, for creating it in the first place.

~~ Delacroix

Download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G7685JOR
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xd26ce

Now if someone would just create some fine Unreal Rogue maps :D

Please do remember when reviewing this: the author of the original version is Remus Shepherd, [KAOS]Casey did the 225f conversion (that accidentally works just about anywhere!), whereas I am trying to popularize this! This is a key to a new level of SP experience!
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:24

This is another level (guess it's more of a mod), I could never get working. It sounds interesting, although I imagine the levels created don't match more complex user-created ones.

User avatar IronMonkey
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 20:57

Still to try it but it sounds interesting enough to be worth mirroring: :)

http://www.margrave.myzen.co.uk/downloa ... es_2.0.zip

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010, 21:03

I played this on an unpatched Unreal. The concept was nice but in that map it was terribly executed, as it became quickly repetitive with Brute/Krall/Slith killing. And the Y-Junction entrance! I can't forget it.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010, 00:42

Well, UB, I replayed this a few times now... True, it might have been executed better... but that's my point, to have a unique mod full of potential showcased in a way that people would like to prove sth, like "I can do better"! Well, I encourage you, do better! I'm sure you could show us how Unreal Rogue should be done, with your skills I am sure quality results will soon be seen...
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010, 00:58

That was an opinion.
ImageImage

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010, 00:02

Had a go at this tonight. I think I can remember seeing this "back in the day". Back then Unreal net play was so bad I most likely played it offline in SP mode.

I like the concept of randomly generated rooms, It's fun for a test level or for a game like Doom where the aim is just to blast everything in sight, but IMO randomness does not make for good gameplay. it would be near impossible to structure a story around a game like this unless the sections were huge and effectively levels in their own right.

The same thing could be done with some sort of random teleporter.