This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

EXU2: What do you want to see in Demo 4?

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

WHAT IN THE FUCK (read thread first, please!)

(Option 1) Just give us the big fixes and improved maps and crap. We want this shit as soon as possible so we don't have to suffer the horrible netcode of Demo 3 any longer. PLEASE WAFF, PLEEEEEAAAAAAASEEEEEEE
43%
(Option 2) Release Demo 4 with 19 maps! Less wait time, more maps, win-win (lose-lose)? Maybe?
10%
(Option 3) Holy shit are you nuts?!? Why is this even a question? GIVE US MORE MAPS YOU STUPID BASTARD (Release with 20 maps)
29%
(Option 4) Don't release anything you asshole, there's already too much EXU crap circulating! Just LEAVE US ALONE UNTIL THE FINAL, GOD *DAMN*
5%
(Option 5) STOP MAKING THIS HORRIBLE MOD AND SPARE US YOUR DUMB THREAD(S)/PRESENCE/etc.
14%

Total votes: 21

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: EXU2: What do you want to see in Demo 4?

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 04:02

First off I apologize for posting about EXU outside of my own little hellpit; I promise I won't do it again after I gather the information I need oh god /o\

Anyway, here's the thing. Demo 3's v5 patch is like a bajillion years late, but it's actually got TONS of major structural changes, performance improvements, netcode optimizations, bug fixes in the code and maps (every single map has been updated), balance improvements, graphical improvements, and a whole lot of new creatures and stuff to play with. It's definitely a major improvement over Demo 3, enough that calling it a patch alone isn't really proper. Thus, Demo 4.

SIMILARLY, I have completed Maps 16 - 19 now, and Map 20 won't be too far off once some critical code gets made for it. These maps are (believe it or not) a hell of a lot crazier than the first 15, too, and a lot more fun - probably because of the Clusterfucker and the inclusion of the Flare Gun.

Now, I WAS planning to surprise everyone by acting all this time like I was only going to release a v5 patch without new maps and then suddenly throw in four more (16-19) at the last second BECAUSE I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH, but I started looking at some Top-Secret Documents(TM) and noticed that, uh, there's really probably gonna be only around 30-35 maps total. If I were to release Maps 1-19 in a single demo, that'd cover roughly 2/3 of the entire campaign, leaving not a whole lot left to explore. While the last third of the game is by far going to be the best (and probably longest), that's still a LOT to put out there before the final. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that.

In addition, Map 19 isn't really a very good endpoint for a demo like Map 15 was. Map 20, though, IS. However, Map 20 is a lot farther from prime-time than Map 19, so if I were to include that, it would require quite a bit more time to polish off Demo 4 and get it released. Including map 20 would also further reduce the amount of new material in the final.

Anyway, there seems to be a few good options here:
  1. Release Demo 4 with the first 15 maps and all the new improvements. This can be done the soonest (just trying to knock out some netcode issues with weapons and a few other misc. things), and is the most likely course of action
  2. Release Demo 4 with 19 maps. This is my least favorite option. And if you vote for this or the next choice, you'd better be willing to give me a lot of feedback on the new maps >:E
  3. Release Demo 4 with 20 maps. This would make a much more satisfying ending to the demo and all, but has the downside of releasing like 2/3 of the game before the final is out. Also would take the longest to complete
  4. Don't release Demo 4 or any kind of a patch. Demo 3 is fine as-is until the final (not sure if anyone thinks this or not, but I'm fine with this if everyone else is)
  5. Cancel the entire project, format all my hard drives, and kill myself (this would probably be the best possible option for me personally, but that's selfish)

Anyway, this is what I'm asking. I have worded the poll options according to what I estimate each choice's proponents reasoning might be like. ;)

I will say, though, that I'm leaning pretty heavily toward Option 1 since I don't like the idea of releasing a large part of the campaign before the final, but if there's overwhelming support for another option, I'll roll with it. With that said, I now shall go cry in a corner, fearful of what dark and horrible things the future might hold. DEAR GOD PLEASE SAVE US FROM OURSELVES

[Edit] Also I voted Option 5 (like I said, selfish) so I could see the results at a glance, but don't let that stop you from choosing it!

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 05:22

I'm really not too partial to any of them in particular, but I do have a certain zone that I think would be more appropriate for this situation. Two things to keep in mind: 1) Campaign-wise, the way you've gone with releasing EXU2's content seems to follow a general pattern of release one bit with the newest updates, then later add on another bit with the very latest updates, and so on, resembling an episodic release pattern, and I certainly wouldn't be put off with that. Keeping that pattern seems like a good idea. 2) The updates by themselves are good, but with a patch update, we really wouldn't be getting too much story wise (and seeing as how I'm in it 75% for campaign content and only a little bit for all of the other content it contains, all vastly fun, of course, but that would be a bit too light for my tastes if you were to just include the next update as a patch rather than a continuation of EXU2's campaign). Don't get me wrong, the updates would certainly enhance what you've already released, but at the same time, I'll still only know what happens between maps 1-15 and nothing else. I'd also like to remark that I'm not going to hunt you down with a silver edition ion plasma tank just for releasing just the update and fix stuff in the next update, no matter how tempted I become to pull one of those babies out. Just keep in mind that we have no clue about any of the later stuff, so we mere players haven't yet been blessed by the knowledge contained in the unreleased maps.

EDIT: Also, I don't know exactly everything that's been updated or fixed in particular, so maybe it's so amazing and glorifying and I just don't know about it. If that's the case and you believe it to be enough to charm even the most greedy, than that sounds fine too.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 15:27

Went and voted 5 because I'm such a silly billy, but my real vote is for 1. You really shouldn't release 2/3 of the pack in a demo (as you said), and all I really want to do URGENTLY is play with the Flare Gun and finally get through the 15 original maps with the improved Easy/Medium difficulties and various tweaks. Save yourself some work, take it easy and, most importantly, come out with the bloody flaregun ASAP! :P

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 15:29

sana wrote:Went and voted 5 because I'm such a silly billy, but my real vote is for 1. You really shouldn't release 2/3 of the pack in a demo (as you said), and all I really want to do URGENTLY is play with the Flare Gun and finally get through the 15 original maps with the improved Easy/Medium difficulties and various tweaks. Save yourself some work, take it easy and, most importantly, come out with the bloody flaregun ASAP! :P

Improved Easy/Medium is already in v4, but yeah, there's a lot more improvements on top of that.

Haha, "take it easy," hahah, aha AHHAHAHAHA oh god, EXU has consumed my entire life and I'm only halfway kidding

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 15:30

Voted option 1.
I'm still deciding between choice 1 and 3. Probably both, because all the changes (including the ones in the first 15 maps if there are any) will give me the best reason to replay EXU2 without all the bullshit I did with the Seed Seeds/etc. I don't care about the downside in choice 3, personally.

Overall: if there's enough new stuff to see in the already released maps, I'd go with choice 1.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 15:32

Waffnuffly wrote:Haha, "take it easy," hahah, aha AHHAHAHAHA oh god, EXU has consumed my entire life and I'm only halfway kidding

I've been toying around with Unreal since I was 9 years old! Join the club. \o/ :(
And still only 1-2 half-baked releases..... I'm envious of content powerhouses like you and Carthage!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 15:35

I chose #1 since as you said releasing most of the mod before the final seems like a bad idea (even if it does lead to some extra testing).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010, 18:00

In cases like these I usually go for options like those mentioned in 5 8) .

However I did choose option 1 because of the slight probability that if option 5 is the end result, EXU may forever remain in limbo state, whch would spoil my fun.

I have to admit that I only played a short part of demo3 because I do feel you are releasing quite a lot of content and taking away the surprise element when I finally decide to play the final version.
So strictly speaking option 4 should have been my choice, but then again, you woudn't receive much feedback, so I'll stick with option 1.

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010, 17:12

I should also mention that whatever I release as Demo 4 WILL be the last thing I release before the final, aside from the inevitable bugfix patch(es) that follow it, if necessary.

I also am not planning to release Demo 4 any time within the next couple of weeks. There's still a lot of work to do even assuming Option 1 is what I go with (and it looks like that will be what I go with). I still have a lot of updating to do to the content of some of the older maps, a lot of code still needs work, etc. I'm also looking to include more new music from composers who have generously offered to contribute where possible. I also have some surprises as early as Map 1 that none of you will expect that still need fleshing out, but they will be worth it!