This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[RELEASED] [ut] Return the Heart

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] [ut] Return the Heart

Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010, 22:34

Also, was that "fiiiive kids to feed!" line a Total Recall reference? :D

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 06:29

Waffnuffly wrote:Also, was that "fiiiive kids to feed!" line a Total Recall reference? :D

LOL, you're the first person to get that....I think. :lol:
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 18:19

eh.. I got stuck in the first level... I thought I was progressing nicely, but now I'm back at a spot where I've been before.. how do I get further? (after the Warlord, you go thru a door.. another I think.. and you're back at the pools)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010, 19:17

Darkon wrote:eh.. I got stuck in the first level... I thought I was progressing nicely, but now I'm back at a spot where I've been before.. how do I get further? (after the Warlord, you go thru a door.. another I think.. and you're back at the pools)

Go back to the very beginning of the map.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010, 02:37

Yeah that part was kinda confusing and sounded like a better idea at the time than it turned out to be. Some like it, some hate it.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 00:12

Just finished the second map but I probably didn't do it the way it ws meant to be.

[spoiler]I had to rocketjump over the pit while the last door was open. I tried running while touching the left switch but keep on getting stuck for a moment long enough to make it impossible to jump (died about 20 times in that pit).[/spoiler]

I am playing on UT and there was an error when it was trying to load the third map. I had to copy Eversmoke.umx from Unreal (Gold) to UT. This should be mentioned in the readme (having only UT won't let you continue this pack).

IMHO this second map has one serious gameplay flaw (I wonder if this will be even more difficult on Unreal difficulty) and that is the room where the crystal is protected. I passed but not by fighting the Skaaj there.

[spoiler]Go into the room, past the crystal, turn around, and run back out of the room while taking the crystal. That gives an opportunity to fight the spawning Skaarj with some space to move and keep your distance. Staying in the crystal room would be OK with 2 or perhaps 3 spawning Skaarj, but more is really unfair.[/spoiler]

Still, good map and looking forward to the third one (tomorrow perhaps).

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 01:29

Rocket jumping is in fact one other way to get past the pit trap. It takes precise timing to do it by running past the switch, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Skaarj coming from the ceiling is just bad gameplay, and I'd do it totally different nowadays. I don't think it's necessarily hard though, just bad design. I did put the switch in there though so you could leave the room if you chose to do so. It wasn't there originally.

I thought I included any Unreal music in the zip file, but maybe not, and yeah that should be mentioned in the readme if it isn't (although not having eversmoke.umx is kinda sacrilige imo, lol).

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 02:58

salsaSkaarj wrote:I am playing on UT and there was an error when it was trying to load the third map. I had to copy Eversmoke.umx from Unreal (Gold) to UT. This should be mentioned in the readme (having only UT won't let you continue this pack).

Ehm.. that counts for the first and second map as well... :P
I'm in map2.. enjoying it so far! :tup: :tup:

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 11:38

Darkon wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:I am playing on UT and there was an error when it was trying to load the third map. I had to copy Eversmoke.umx from Unreal (Gold) to UT. This should be mentioned in the readme (having only UT won't let you continue this pack).

I renamed Eversmoke.umx and (starting the first map and) loading the second map didn't throw any error, but the third map wouldn't load.
The error you get with the first and second map must be caused by another missing file.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 14:41

salsaSkaarj wrote:
Darkon wrote:

I renamed Eversmoke.umx and (starting the first map and) loading the second map didn't throw any error, but the third map wouldn't load.
The error you get with the first and second map must be caused by another missing file.

I think it's Utemple and Seti, but I might be wrong about that last one.
As for Eversmoke.. I did the same thing, and it works fine for me. It should work; third map loads fine for me. Make sure you don't have a typo/wrong file.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 15:48

Darkon wrote:I think it's Utemple and Seti, but I might be wrong about that last one.
As for Eversmoke.. I did the same thing, and it works fine for me. It should work; third map loads fine for me. Make sure you don't have a typo/wrong file.

I just reinstalled a clean UT, applied the 4 Bonuspacks and oldskool239. I can guarantee there's no typo.

First map needs Utemple.umx. After copying that one:
Second map needs seti.umx After copying that one:
Third map needs Eversmoke.umx

All three music files come with Ugold, probably with Unreal1 also but I can't check that since my installation files have gone missing again :(

The good thing about this is that I have a new clean UT installation (my previous backup was cluttered again) :lol:

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 19:52

Yeah I should've included those files, as they are music from the original Unreal, and I guess there are a few who only have UT and play on oldskool.

Salsa, did you play the DM map as well?

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 21:52

Doublez-Down wrote:Yeah I should've included those files, as they are music from the original Unreal, and I guess there are a few who only have UT and play on oldskool.

Salsa, did you play the DM map as well?

No, I hadn't.
But I just started it now on the clean UT install (the same one I mentioned before) and no missing files.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010, 21:08

And ... finished.
Again in the third map, the Skaarj dropping from the ceiling syndrome appears. That's OK if it happens once, perhaps twice, but not more. In terms of gameplay that was the only downside, the other fights where well-staged.

A possible blocking trap is the buttons inside which open the side doors (the building after killing the Titan). Press the button, door opens, enter, and if you stall there the outer and inner doors close and you're stuck there (unless I missed something).

On the whole the mappack had the true Unreal feel, architecture and environment are convincing (and beautiful), relatively simple but interesting puzzles, good gameplay (but for the ceiling droppings) and sufficient diversity (good use of the Titan).
So , my final verdict = :tup:

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010, 23:05

Second that. Finished it today, and also tried out the DM map. Looks good IMHO.
Got stuck a few times.. but overall :tup: :tup:

Previous Next