This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Episode 1 released from Unamed Large Project

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Episode 1 released from Unamed Large Project

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 03:15

I've seen hints of this while lurking Oldunreal and also saw a post today on BU which compelled me to download the first Episode.

Basically, this fella named "Master Unreal" is working on a set of Episodes for a large project and Episode 1 is out and has been out (I'm not sure how long, as I've only heard about this today). Usually I'm too busy to be the one to catch this stuff, but yay! SP maps!

-----

From BU wrote:

I'm gonna sum this up as much as I can, after explaining it in depth a few times it can get rather tiring hehe. 8 planned episodes, 8 levels per episode, that's 64 levels planned out, of course this is just a plan for now, there may be few more or few less than 64 maps.

Each episode is to have its own little theme, and I got this idea from playing super mario 3 in my room one day lol. There is supposed to be alot of custom content made. This will probably be the shocker to some hehe, All of this is done by me, me, aaaand.....I think me :P

Episode 1 is available for download here, although this episode is a bit short, I think its worth seeing, I do NOT recommend playing unreal difficulty because it is extremely difficult, Hard would be the optimal choice but if you're feeling a bit insane, Unreal would be hard to tackle - http://mump.webs.com/ (Much thanks to W3RM)

The downloads are organized in this way, the map files are separated by episode, and the other files (.u, .utx, .umx, etc) will have their own download, this way I don't have to constantly update all the other .7z files.

As for Episode 2 it is in the works, here's a lil something to show you where I'm at now.

Here are some shots I found when browsing the download links.

I'm very early into it (3rd map), but it's interesting. Some of the "special" enemies and story remind me suspiciously of EXU, only the intent here is more serious. As I understand it the author is quite young though and from what I've played so far it's an interesting set of maps. Maybe take a gander.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 05 Dec 2010, 03:24, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Episode 1 released from Unamed Large Project

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 03:22

Really? Interesting. I remember him releasing this, I believe, and seeing it then forgetting, but that's definitely peaked my interest. Thanks for the notification.

EDIT: Honestly, that thing scared the crap out of me, mostly because I didn't know it was going to be like that. I almost adore how you're shown snippets of what's really going on, but you don't really have too much to go on, and then you open up a room with some screwed up fucking lights and candles and you hear "braaaaaiinnnss", and you're all like "WTF happened?!". I'm rather interested to see what comes of the sequel episodes. I've also taken a look at some stuff included in the packages for this that weren't used in this particular episode, and it's increased my interest in this guy's skills outside of the editor. Otherwise:
[spoiler]The final boss, which was like a giant skaarj/brute demon thing and all crazy and murderous, really cracked me up. The fact that there are UT200X rocket launchers attached to his arms is beyond hilarious, even if the boss itself was akward.[/spoiler]
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 06:10

Ah, I remember playing the alpha version of this Episode a few moths ago when Hellscrag originally found the topic at OldUnreal. I think I remember describing the alpha version of this Episode as "crap" (or something similar).

I'm glad to see that Master_Unreal was able to step up his game with the new version. It was much much more hellish and creepier than before and much more dangerous. Although a bit unbalanced, the gameplay was still fun and had me running for the corners.

EDIT:

Link to the old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1414

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 23:31

Well... I downloaded and started on Hard as advised and managed to get to the fogged up upperdeck or something and the got plastered by some modified BruteKrallSkaarjs, notice the "s" at the end of that word, emphasising plural as in a lot, many, much, numerous, almost countless.
So decided to restart on Medium and got past those but then some relatively normal looking Skaarjs (again the "s") got me.
So??? Easy it would have to be. After very careful play, and with very careful I mean that comparing this to the way I played Xenome on Unreal would describe my way of playing Xenome as going in head forward and eyes closed. But, I managed to get further again until I wandered into a room with 5? 6? or 10 Skaarj and an oversized Krall (I can't really remember whether this was still the second or the third map). Died there 4 or 5 times, the 6th time I thought I would make it but that was wishfull thinking.

Cutting my story short, gameplay balance is way off. I haven't played anything in coop yet but this definately loops like a coop thing. On Easy this is just too damn hard. The fog is way overdone and becomes irritating because if you don't know that thingS will come at you constantly, you're dead meat from the beginning - I had to advance inch by inch looking in closeup at the screen to try to identify possible enemy-giveaways. Usually the creatures attack from both sides and you daren't run around too much in case you alert the rest of the herd. Also the main weapon is the eightball which is only usefull if the very few times you can keep some distance between you and the enemy.

The atmosphere is creepy in the beginning, but in the first level the constant sound of screaming becomes irritating instead of enhancing the creepiness.

BUT ... apart from gameplay balance which needs a serious overhaul ... the layouts and the ideas are good and something really good could be made from it

BTW I godded through to the last level and then tried to tackle the boss (not in god mode). I managed to survive really long but eventually the cumulative damage taken (however small) is just too much and I gave up trying - I much have used up around 100 eightballs (I used up a full load and then reloaded completely) but that boss was still going strong.

Me, I'm not going to replay this soon, perhaps it's for the few UBs in this world (although I would advise him to try on Medium first) or for a good Coop team. Maybe in a couple of months if it's been made playable - damn, this made me feel as though I was trying Unreality again, actually no, it was worse!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 23:38

I might try this on Unreal difficulty.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010, 23:49

UBerserker wrote:I might try this on Unreal difficulty.

predictable

BTW the 7z-files include the directory structure for the files, but the uax files are in the subdirectory /sound >> this should be /sounds

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010, 13:36

images not found btw

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 08:29

Yeah I copied them from the guy's site. Perhaps it is down.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010, 08:36

Ah yeah, it is not hosted by him but by Werm though, I will inform MU about it though-