UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[225f/227g/UT436] Dead City 4

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: [225f/227g/UT436] Dead City 4

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 04:49

The zombie infestation continues...

For those of you who haven't played "Dead City" before:

Dead city is a day/night scenario where players are safe during the day and zombies come out at night. Players must work together to make their way into the cave system where the "zombie generator" is located and destroy it!

I'm mainly posting this project here on this forum because I'm actually looking for more Texture and Sound resources for this project. If you know of any urban themed resources such as these, please post them for me below.

Also, if anyone is interested in helping me for this project (I highly doubt that), I need modelers and animators for melee weapons and new zombie models. No UScript experience needed, I can easily cover that turf on my own.

Last edited by jackrabbit on 10 Feb 2011, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: [225f] Dead City 4

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 07:59

I have some UT ones on hand and of course some Hourences ones work very well for those kind of environments. Dunno if too many of those will work backwards on 225f, but I think they ought to. If you show me a list of which ones you have that could help.

As for the title, number 4? What's the story with 1-3? Also, are you in need of mapping help?

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 09:09

So far I'm only using textures that I have modified and imported into my own texture package. I did find one texture package from Redeem Your Space (city.utx) which is of good quality, but I haven't decided if I'd use it or not. I'm planning on using stuff from Starship.utx for a Laboratory, but not really any other stock texture packs. If some Hourences texture packs work well with Starship, I might use some of them.

As for the title, number 4? What's the story with 1-3?

.:..:'s is originally credited for the origin of the series and DCPawns.u which includes the zombies for DeadCity 1, 2 and 3. Another Unreal player known as "(Klingon)Zeke" authored DeadCity 3. I'm not planning on using DCPawns.u for deadcity 4 and will be compiling a new package of enemies for this project. DeadCity 2 and 3 can be found on Hyper.NL's website. DeadCity 1 is a mystery to me (as I've never actually played it).

are you in need of mapping help?

Well that depends.... tutorial wise or actual hand's on building? Tutorials are always appreciated by me and I do use them quite often when I hit a bump in the road so to speak. Any more tutorials would be greatly appreciated by me and others I'm sure. If your talking hand's on, well that could be a bit awkward because of the "1 map scenario". With that said, I suppose 'import into existing level' was made for a reason.... If anyone is interested in mapping for this project or submitting city prefab's, then by all means send me a PM. I'm sure I can put it to use. A city is big after all.

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 09:19

jackrabbit wrote:Well that depends.... tutorial wise or actual hand's on building? Tutorials are always appreciated by me and I do use them quite often when I hit a bump in the road so to speak. Any more tutorials would be greatly appreciated by me and others I'm sure. If your talking hand's on, well that could be a bit awkward because of the "1 map scenario". With that said, I suppose 'import into existing level' was made for a reason.... If anyone is interested in mapping for this project or submitting city prefab's, then by all means send me a PM. I'm sure I can put it to use. A city is big after all.

I'm always available for tutelage, if you trust my point of view on the subject that is. For hand's on...well, I like mapping urban environments. I just never get a chance to release any urban themed stuff I make, really. Given the very basic outline you presented, I'm figuring a kind of Left 4 Dead environment, self-contained. And anything zombie theme peaks my interest. I could look at the map. Maybe add a building, or provide set pieces. Have had lots of practice doing this for Resident Unreal and some parts of Residual Decay. If you prefer I could whip up a lone building in a .unr some night and send it to you. See if it meshes with what you got going. Is it too much to see a clip of gameplay footage from Dead City 1-3 to get an idea? I've played more zombie shooter gametypes than any sane person should.

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 11:41

Thinking L4D and Resident Evil is exactly what I'm going for here (who wouldn't?)

As far as progress goes, I'm still working on the first "street block". I expect the first block to be finished pretty soon, so when that is done I'll send it over for you to gander at. I will also be adding a custom script inside the level which changes the players camera perspective to overhead in alleyways.

Here is a small gameplay video from Dead City 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8huJb5z_o8

The level may not look nice at all, but I do enjoy the gameplay quite a bit.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 13:32

Oh damn! I remember those (never knew you could destroy the generator, though) but holy cow those were really neat. I remember liking DC2 quite a lot, and DC1, though I only played it a few infrequent times, was very good with having places to go/take cover. As for a fourth, using new assets, I guess I can only go so far on any weapon modeling, since I'd probably just stick to modeling it and possibly UVing it, leaving the rest to anyone else who might want to finish it, but for mapping, I'd at LEAST be able to set up your terrain pretty quickly that you can then texture how you like or I could do that for you if you wanted to provide the different terrain textures you'd prefer for rocks and ground. For that I'd probably need a good idea of whatever layout you wanted, but if you just need a simple canyon or something like that, that's definitely doable. Anything else for mapping? Um, I might be able to push myself at something, and then you can judge how it looks, but there are no guarantees that it will be quite what Proph will be able to produce. At least my stuff should be better than that of the original DCs 1-3. Grid snapping FTW!
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 17:11

So is this authorized by .:..:, then?
Not sure why you'd "continue" someone else's work like that, instead of simply giving it another name and making it entirely original.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 19:12

sana wrote:So is this authorized by .:..:, then?
Not sure why you'd "continue" someone else's work like that, instead of simply giving it another name and making it entirely original.

Yeah I was gonna say this as well. Just to be clear about the authorship and if it's okay with .:..:. :o

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011, 19:14

sana wrote:So is this authorized by .:..:, then?

Well, I'm planning on using the same concept as other Dead City maps. As far as I know, .:..:'s doesn't mind someone authoring a new DeadCity. As a matter of fact, an old DeadCity 4 authored by player "Evolution" (horror series author), canceled his version of DeadCity 4 quite a while ago. As said, DeadCity 3 was authored by (Klingon)Zeke with similar mapping style to DeadCity 2. .:..:'s is more than welcome to helping with this project, and if that means having a separate 227 version with enhanced features, then so be it. Otherwise I'd like to keep it 225 compatible.

Not only that, I am an honest fan of the Dead City series, and see potential in the idea's behind it. Why change the name?

EDIT: (1:28:49 PM) mhulden16: yes sure whatever

never knew you could destroy the generator, though

Dead City 2 has some sort of generator, although it cannot be destroyed. I adding this feature to dead city 4 of having a system where the "zombie power source" sends out the creatures at night, but recharges its energy somehow by day. I still haven't decided if this will become a feature for deadcity 4 or not. Maybe later in development there could be some sort of poll if it becomes that popular.

I can only go so far on any weapon modeling, since I'd probably just stick to modeling it and possibly UVing it, leaving the rest to anyone else who might want to finish it, but for mapping, I'd at LEAST be able to set up your terrain pretty quickly that you can then texture how you like or I could do that for you if you wanted to provide the different terrain textures you'd prefer for rocks and ground. For that I'd probably need a good idea of whatever layout you wanted, but if you just need a simple canyon or something like that, that's definitely doable

Regarding modeling, I am looking for "real" weapon models. I realize there are quite a few of those around already that I was thinking of using, but if your up to the game then you should give it a shot. I need a good looking Shotgun and Uzi's badly.

As far as terrain goes, I only need caves. I'm more than capable of doing this myself in Lightwave (I draw the terrain by hand and then import it), but if your game with Blender your more than welcome to make a cave system which leads to the "core". This will definitely have to wait a while though, because I think first the layout of the city should be complete first before focusing on the cave system that will ultimately connect with the city in some form.

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [225f/227g/UT436] Dead City 4

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011, 17:10

I never really cared for deadcity (and after Zeke got DC3 the more so, don't ask), but at least your version looks best of the bunch. Why not start a new project with similar theme though?

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011, 00:17

there are more influences from Killing Floor than L4D in this version. I have temporarily halted mapping for this project for another small side project which is nearly complete (A Deus Ex Conversion), then I will get back to working on the "city geometry".

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011, 03:33

HATE DEAD CITY but I'll play it.. :/
Trying to get back into the swing of things.