Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

website hosting

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 22:31

Oh lol ok, than we double misunderstood eachother :)

We both want to host other sites for free, and regardless what package you have, you are allowed to do so. If your hostpackage allows multiple FTP accounts, than all people having an account will add to the site, even if they have their own section, it still adds to the total site. Theres no way in hell they can forbid such a sructure, not if they allow multiple FTP accounts.

If you have your site and theres 6 others hosting under you, this means theres oné CEO at the top and 6 managers bellow you that deal with their own department :)

The website hosting they point at , is all about reselling your space to other people and earn money with it. For your account this is not allowed, but you can with a reseller program.

I wouldnt worry about that, and you can either choose to set it up with a directory structure(which is what i am planning), or you add full domains to your account, which is more difficult. And it also means the people hosting by you will have to transfer their domainname to you, which i doubt people will ever do.

If i were you, just add a directory for each site. And set up FTP accounts that use different logins as your official account, because its not smart to give out full account info to others. If they have full account info than they could block you out from the cpanel and such.

As for UnrealTexture, it is exactly what i said, i myself run some important projects and are willing to host 3d party projects that also make use of S3TC textures. Those people run their own project, but are locate within the UnrealTexture site which would make a link like this:

http://unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website ... roject.htm

or

http://unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website ... roject.htm

Any other project would have a similar link really.

In reality you share webspace with your friends, and i doubt they will make a fuzz about it, aside the fact how they are gonna know. I think almost any siteowner does it in some (or more) extend. It is after all the power you have once you own a site. Not to mention you do get FTP accounts, unlimited mail adresses, forums, etc. Lol, you gotta do something with it, right ? :)
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Lone Wolf
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008, 00:24

LOL Ok now we know what we are talking about. What you are going to do is what I was planning on doing. I was going to setup a sob domain and then add a dir for each person. And then set up a FTP account for that person. What is odd is they (lunarpages) gives you all the tools to do what you and I want to do, but tell you this in the

Lunarpages Acceptable Use Policy

· You agree that the Lunarpages servers including the space occupied by your account is and remains the property of Lunarpages. Your limited license to use the service is not subject to lease, sublease or any other sharing or transfer without the specific, express consent of Lunarpages. You may not make your account (including but not limited to web space, email accounts, bandwidth, storage space, or reseller rights) available to any third party in any way, including but not limited to the use of Sub Domains, Add-on Domains, Sub Directories, or by any other means.

So what the he**. When I e-mail tech support about what I wanted to do their biggest concern was with doing this was severe security flaws in my account. What I think this comes down to is they know you are going to do what we are talking about. And for the most part they can not stop you. But if you do it and your account becomes a security risk to their servers they have a reason to cancel your account.

And get this, as a work round they told me this, (However, as a work around, you can have people submit the information to you, and you then upload, etc) And I all ready have done what we are talking about. With my wife’s website. All well we will see.

LW
My little corner of the net
www.lone-wolfs-den.com Stop by the farm and see what we are up to.
www.the-farm.lone-wolfs-den.com

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008, 02:20

Well theres tons of companies and clans that work together on a site, and those people all have their FTP account so they can go in and out changing and updating things, that is the sole purpose of having multiple FTP accounts.

You just should asume that other people under your account simply help you out setting up the website. The others are simply responsible for maintaining their part of the site.

Just dont call it hosting, because that sounds like your having others on your account. See it this way, you have a site for cars. And theres a person only interested in ferraries, so that guy is doing the ferrari section, another guy likes hot rods, so he is doing the hotrod section, another guy may want to have a section dedicated to trucks, another one has a section all about car painting, etc, etc. And you simply need those admins to build those sections for your site.

That is why you have multiple FTP accounts, and simply dont call it hosting :) And you can pretty much asume that 50% or more of all sites are run by multiple people.

Same like Old Unreal, all admins have FTP accounts so they can help out on the site(mainly for the forums though) Wolf is good with modding, i do the S3TC texture department, Smirftsch of course is CEO :) etc. etc.

And if you contact your host for something you want to do, but your not sure if its allowed always contact them from another e-mail adress and ask the question in general. Dont wake up the sleeping dogs (Dutch frase)

And in the setup i just described anything is allowed, its your account and within the terms you can do as you see fit, and give out FTP to anyone that needs it to build a part of your site. That way of handeling your site is 100% allowed, simple as that. And giving out limited FTP cant harm the site, just make sure upfront you only take in people you trust and know already for a couple a years.

Just keep your main account info to yourself, and use limited accounts for FTP for others. In my case someone either works for Unreal or UT so they only get access to the root for Unreal or UT, not to the base root of the site.

If you do it like that, nothing could happen, nor can Lunarpages complain about that. Period. :wink:
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2008, 06:42

Just curious, did the story i made above work out for you Lone Wolf ?
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Lone Wolf
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2008, 20:28

Diehard wrote:Just curious, did the story i made above work out for you Lone Wolf ?

Well what you are talking about is what I did with my wifes website. I have made up my mind if I'm going to open things up to other people yet. I have not had a hole lot of time to think of it as of late.

lw
My little corner of the net

www.lone-wolfs-den.com Stop by the farm and see what we are up to.

www.the-farm.lone-wolfs-den.com

Previous