This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Myst to Unreal

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Myst to Unreal

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011, 23:52

Hi, I've recently reinstalled Unreal, after 7 years abstinence of UED with a total experience o13years (since initial release). By no means rusty.

I want to re-create each Age of Myst (1993) as a map.
Keeping each puzzle and gameplay as close to original/intact as possible. So the whole game is playable- Solely using Stock Unreal resources- No guns, no monsters!

I'm a huge Myst fan and I'm a perfectionist.
I expect to complete this over a period of a few days.
I have absolutely no problem in creating geometry of all kind, texturing and lighting properly. Tasks of all kind including setting up events (admittedly I haven't done the latter since 7 years, but remember tag/event stuff well enough! :) )
Eventually completed with a working HUB system, which I have no idea whatsoever!

I can deliver height-maps maps and other resources.

If you're a dedicated fan of both games, got some mapping knowledge and sharing similar interest let me know!

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Myst to Unreal

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 01:37

Myst was one of the first PC games I ever bought/played since Windows 98. I'm still very fond of the game as well, but sadly forgot what most of it was about :cry:. I'd definitely help with your project, but I can already see that this project would be more suited for UE2 (UT2004) instead of UE1. The vivid detail let off in the Myst world could hardly be captured by the limitations of UE1 imo. It still may be difficult to pull of with static meshes in UT2k4, but I believe it is possible.

For some odd reason I remember this picture as if it were day/night:

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 01:42

I actually had interest to create this in UDK (Unreal Development Kit / UE3) which is free.

But The engine capabilities make it extremely challenging and takes about 20x more work. So I thought doing it merely in UE1 would be a nice manageable project for starters (and probably more original) :)

Unfortunately those guys at Cyan give me no reply about any original ressources, My offer was recreating Myst Island in most living breathing detail possible: no answer.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 02:31

Maybe you're just doing this because you can (or hope you can), but isn't RealMyst an official update of Myst in this way (fully 3D)?
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 04:11

Haha! This game. I've thought of things like this for a while. I played Myst for the first time last year, but have been playing Riven all my life since I could use a computer. I definitely like their styles, and the ingenuity with the "ages" concept. If you can reproduce it in a fun and exciting way, by all means. I've personally had my sights on attempting my own remake of the environments from Riven in a modeling program, then figuring out how to get them the way I wanted them, but still, low poly UE1 is understandable.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 10:08

BuddhaMaster wrote:I'm a huge Myst fan and I'm a perfectionist.
I expect to complete this over a period of a few days.

With all due respect, but isn't this a contradiction ... never mind finishing it in a period of a couple of days, but being a perfectionist, it implies that the end result is more or less perfect!!

It's statements like these which make most time schedules seem fictional from the moment they are released.

If you're 100% certain about it, kuddos to you, but you've got to convince me first :shock:

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 15:58

BuddhaMaster wrote:I expect to complete this over a period of a few days.

It was kinda early for an april fools day joke....

Would be nice to see results tho.. :P
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 22:24

After thinking about it some more, I realized that I'm a genious at under-estimate things.

It all seems so easy. But then I realized: How do I recreate the water-flow puzzle in channel-wood? How do I recreate the rotating tower map, how do I give hints inside the book to the player, how do I recreate complicated mechanical puzzles? Align speakers to a sound-source in order to get a code, probably hardest of all: The whole underground train maze.
there are much more complicated elements... but there must be a way to re-create each of those elements on the simplest level!

At least the Miller brothers did the whole game on a form of quicktime movies/events stacking back in 1993.

My goal is not a hardcore re-creation but a working sight-seeing tour trough all of the game with all the charme of UE1.
Maybe a puzzle can be replaced by just a simple trigger. I'd still enjoy that.

Mman wrote:Maybe you're just doing this because you can (or hope you can), but isn't RealMyst an official update of Myst in this way (fully 3D)?

I played original Myst countless times, I played RealMyst many times and enjoyed it. But the game felt out-dated even at it's release. The controls were crampy and technology ages horrible: Huge trees fade into ugly sprites after a few meters, sight is extremely limited and much stuff looks even worse than the original renders.

A UE1 conversion would have it's completely own charm. I'd even like to recreate the soundtrack with all Unreal 1 music samples.
Last edited by BuddhaMaster on 02 Apr 2011, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011, 22:56

Go for it!
I haven't played Myst myself, but have been interested in it. If it would be brought to the Unreal level.. that would be great.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 00:59

Darkon wrote:Go for it!
I haven't played Myst myself, but have been interested in it. If it would be brought to the Unreal level.. that would be great.

Poor guy, why are you still struggling the chance to experience one of the greatest games ever told?

Even some major original creator of U1 said their goal was to create a first person shooter with the immersion of Myst/RiVeN. I think Tim Sweeny (or similar name)

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 03:16

Is there something like an interface-controlled trigger within stock UE1 objects?
I.e. Trigger something ->choose [left/right]?

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 19:55

nope, be prepared to get into unrealscript or find someone to be your code monkey
this idea will not be realized with only stock unreal resources

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2011, 20:14

Also, this:
UArchitect wrote:nope, be prepared to get into unrealscript
is infinitely more likely to happen than this:
or find someone to be your code monkey

User avatar Core

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011, 00:36

Don't know what you have in mind, but if it's some kind of screen where the player can make a choice using his mouse, you should take a look at this:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UsableScreen

I'm quite sure it's Kea & Diamond's work.

If you want to see it in action try Diamond's SP-PlateauIntro map, which uses it extensively.

This reminded me that Qtit made something similar almost a year ago, check out this thread, contains some usage vids:
http://unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1539

This is of cource content, not stock UE1.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011, 01:48

Core wrote:This reminded me that Qtit made something similar almost a year ago, check out this thread, contains some usage vids:
http://unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1539

Oh... I totally forgot about that. :B

I think it's time for a final release already, isn't it? Cos I did a loads of changes there.... lol...

Next