Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[Unreal Gold v227G+] Another Reality

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [UGOLD v226/227G+ UT v436/451] Another Reality

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011, 19:10

Whoaaa..you are from russia?.Russia is a good place *--* and,the where from the developers?
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar ArchGrey
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011, 19:27

Thanks! As it's said in the first post of the thread, almost all the developers of AR are from Russia and the nearest neighbours ;)
[000] [the constant system failure]

Another Reality DevTeam Member

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011, 19:30

:D:D good for you..my neighbours are "Dj"-s xD
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011, 19:51

Oh my. A giant project out of nowhere! Nice to have you guys here. :)
From the screenshots I see that you are very focused on keeping your maps true to the original Unreal feel and atmosphere, which is exactly what I'm looking for! Color me interested. :tup:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2011, 21:46

Sweet! the first thought that came up in my mind was how close this resembles unreal :O

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one!

User avatar ArchGrey

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011, 07:05

Thanks everyone again!
Yes, the atmosphere is the most important thing we are trying to create. :)

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 20 Jul 2011, 18:15

I don't like to rate maps by screenshots as there you can easily hide the level of completion and fun factor. So I like your idea of having made a demo. As far as I can see, there was much progress made on these 7 maps (I don't count the last one). So your project is really promising. :tup:

Perhaps in your position, I would consider to cut the length planned for your campaign. If all maps take as long as these 7 presented maps, it would take longer playing through than for the original Unreal campaign. I made the experience that Goliaths like 'Redeem your Space' don't attract more attention.

Perhaps you should consider to make it avaible for Unreal. AFAIK there are packages giving you the RtNP weapons and creatures. It seems most used textures are also present in Unreal. And you didn't use many scripts.

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011, 02:50

Haven't tried the demo yet, but judging from the shots, this looks very promising! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one. :tup:

unreal doom

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011, 08:39

Hello! I’m very grateful for paying so much attention to our project! And in order not to raise too much hopes I got to tell you about the difficulties Another Reality is going through.
The official beginning of the project developing is considered to be on June 7, 2008, but the actual work on the first level had taken start in October 2007. All the time of developing AR wasn’t easy, although it seems we needed just a few mappers and a scripter (which, just to mention, we don’t have in our team yet), because we never planned any unnecessary complications, or highly detailed maps, or any complex scripts.
But unfortunately those times when you could just find an Unreal fan with the necessary Ed skills have gone, as well as those people, and now only staunch supporters and stubborn enthusiasts remain. (Oh, how I envy the blooming Russian DOOM community on this point…)

Nevertheless, we are not going to abandon the project or stop working on it.
We believe we must never give up. All is changing, and we won’t just sit and wait and will be on our purposes despite all the circumstances. We realize that the more work will be done the more chances we have to finish it and complete the project, besides, we hope that the chances of some more Unreal fans to appear and join us are also growing while the progress is being made. The more we do – the more do people understand how serious our intentions are.

By the way, speaking of the possibility of helping AR. We decided to make maps on our own, because the most active discussions are going among the mappers, and the linguistic barrier won’t let us make progress for sure. What we might need are a script writer and a programmer, but it’s a question of future, not the actual moment, so it’s too early to discuss seriously.

Anyway, I’m shutting my mouth now. It’s not only us like this.
Now I’d better pay the special attention to a feedback of the famous Turboman! I’m really glad to greet you and to say that I’m really interested by your project “Firestorm”. There are not very much people who follow the traditional Unreal spirit in their fan-projects.

User avatar ArchGrey

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011, 19:28

To intergration:
Thanks for your feedback.
We'd like to specify one thing - you mean, you'd want to see AR on the clear Unreal, not GOLD version?
'Cause it's availiable for Gold 226.

About the length... We are not going to cut the length of Another Reality. I suppose the longer gameplay is, the better it is for Unreal fan! =) Besides, the scenario has already been written and it excludes any possibility of cutting the add-on. So it will stay as it is.
By the way, we have levels of different length,as it was in the original.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011, 21:03

Yes, I meant clear Unreal. I don't know how much effort this would be - perhaps you would have to delete all RtNP pawns and weapons and readd it. But it is definetely possible and then AR would be compatible with all Unreal versions.

Perhaps somebody else knows? Here or at oldunreal.com or Leo(T.C.K.), who did RySPak.

How much do you think is done by now? About 50%?

edit: 50% of build (brushes,texture aligning) finished? Not so important. I only wanted to estimate the at least needed time to finish, because you said, the project was started in 2008.
Last edited by integration on 23 Jul 2011, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar ArchGrey

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011, 21:45

Sorry, 50% of what? =)

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011, 22:25

Not really. Just export the map to T3D, load all packages instead of UPak (load RySPak instead), import the map, rebuild all, bam, voila.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar ArchGrey

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011, 11:34

Thanks for explanation.
Considering how popular is Unreal Gold, we planned to make AR playable on all the game versions with RtNP content as well as on UT, and never planned it on clear Unreal.
As for the project status, we estimate it ready on 30-35%, but it's hard to precise the exact release date, or the time when it's finished, 'cause unfortunately our mappers work is not quite regular.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011, 16:17

If you plan to use UPak content AND release a version for UT, forget about using regular UPak. Get one of the UPak conversions, such as the aforementioned RySPak. Why? I don't believe you quite caught that, but UPak (both 224 and 226) is buggy with UT. Very buggy. The vanilla version will refuse to work outright, as for the RTNP2UT version -- it ain't a wonder either.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

Previous Next