Scout-kun is a lie... right?

New RTNP Conversion for UT in the works

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: New RTNP Conversion for UT in the works

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 12:42

I've been working on something for many weeks now, but am not sure if anyone is interested in a possible release. I know most people play RTNP in Unreal 227 these days, since RTNP2UT is such junk. However, I've been spending a lot of time getting rid of all bugs, and adding oldskool features - such as permanent carcasses, decals, better weapons (like the automag reload option), and much, much more. I've fixed missing DP power up bug, the missing spinner projectile, and dozens of other smaller things (like Unreal dodging behavior).

Now, the real reason I'm making this post is because I've also incorporated several Unreal Beta maps into RTNP, with proper transitions and all (I'm very thorough, so I've literally spent hours on just the transitions). Included maps are Fhub6, Aztec (the opening portion), Morose, Soledad, Cryox, and Velora Cellars. I didn't just add the maps as is; I've actually gone through and improved the look, sound, lighting, game play, and everything about these maps. I've even done lots of texture alignment. Basically, they have all undergone major revisions. The maps have also been modified to fit with the theme of RTNP. Many have been changed from daytime to nighttime.

I was just going to keep all this for my own enjoyment, but thought I'd ask in case anyone wants me to release.
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 26 Aug 2011, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Is anyone interested in this?

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 12:49

I'd really like to see an RTNP UT port that works properly. I'd rather the beta stuff be optional though (although I'm interested in seeing it).
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 12:53

I'll think about releasing the RTNP conversion by itself.

About the beta stuff, I really have made it much more playable. Anyone who knows my work will know that I'm very picky about the finished results, and have spent a great deal of time making sure the beta content fits in. I don't like unfinished, buggy content. I spent hours on Morose alone. I fixed all the BSP bugs of Soledad, and added proper transitions (it no longer starts you out in a new area completely). Velora Cellars is now full of decorations, sound effects, ammo, and scripted battles with patrol points, creature factories, and all that fancy stuff. I've added some scripted sequences in other maps too. Especially Fhub6.

Here are a few shots of some improved beta stuff:

Transition to Aztec (with aligned textures and all):

Aztec outside area, changed to night to match the other RTNP maps:

Screenshot of another improved Aztec area:
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 24 Aug 2011, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 12:54

The pic's looks great
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 12:58

One thing to mention is that I have to get permission from several people to release this. I'm usually very good at tracking people down (I managed to track down all the mappers for my UT Classic Packs), so I'm sure it can be done.

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 16:19

It's looking pretty good. I'd be interested in that. :o

For the third shot with the sun, though, you should probably use something that doesn't clash so much with the rest of the sky. Flare9 from ShaneSky might work a bit better. Or something kind of pinkish.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 16:50

Lol what you did in FHUB6?

In my EXU2 conversions of FHub6 and Cryox I made general fixes to both maps to make them function properly as they were supposed to be.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 18:43

I'm certainly interested but what exactly is the difference with Unreal: Search Prelude which seems to have some (or all) of the maps you mentioned. I realise that Prelude was for U and not UT but are there other differences?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 18:58

This project only fixes several RTNP maps and makes the whole expansion longer; there are no big changes about story/gameplay/etc...
Also, full UT support for RTNP.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 19:47

UBerserker wrote:This project only fixes several RTNP maps and makes the whole expansion longer; there are no big changes about story/gameplay/etc...
Also, full UT support for RTNP.

Correct. The original RTNP maps are completely unchanged, with the exception of the teleporter destinations that go to the beta maps, and a very short transition for Glacena. I didn't want to make RTNP any different, but rather fix the UT conversion, and add some maps that I enjoy from the beta. This means you get to keep all the RTNP weapons, fight the RTNP monsters, and watch the intermissions. Also, Unreal: Search Prelude did not have Morose, Soledad, or Aztec (three very large maps). These 3 maps are incredibly awesome beta maps that I'm sad about Epic leaving out of Unreal, and are the largest additions to this RTNP conversion. With some fixes, they are great maps. Check the Unreal Beta Walkthrough by Uberserker to see some screenshots and info about these maps. All the bugs and issues mentioned by Uberserker in these playthroughs are fixed in my versions.

I've thought about adding Nexus and NexusEnd, but these two maps are incredibly unstable and buggy. They would involve more work than it would probably take me to build a new map from scratch, so I may leave them out (Soledad and Morose took hours to fix up as it is). That would also add too many dungeon maps to the pack, I believe.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 19:56

For my EXU2 work I managed to actually copy Nexus in the same map (aka two Nexus as whole). Turns out it's actually stable. Although I used a MH conversion thanks to someone else.

Cryox is a technical disaster. Not to mention Toxic (RTNP version).
ImageImage

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 22:04

UBerserker wrote:For my EXU2 work I managed to actually copy Nexus in the same map (aka two Nexus as whole). Turns out it's actually stable. Although I used a MH conversion thanks to someone else.

Could you clarify on this? I'm able to open Nexus in the editor, but there are lots of HOM effects, no lava zones, no skyboxes, and many unfinished areas. What do you mean you got it stable? Did you modify it, or what?

Cryox is a technical disaster. Not to mention Toxic (RTNP version).

You mean the official Toxic map with the release of RTNP is a technical disaster? How so? I haven't actually played through Cryox in depth yet. I'm still working on the other maps first. Once I get everything connected, I'll play through the entire RTNP pack, and jot down notes on things to improve.

Question for you, Uberserker. In your Beta Walkthrough, I only noticed you mentioning two secrets in which you have to cheat to obtain in Soledad. Are there any others like this in Soledad or Morose, or just those two? Are there any other critical bugs besides those two? I would greatly appreciate your feedback on stuff that needs fixing.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 22:14

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm liking what you're doing immensely, and that you should keep on doing what you're doing, because it looks like it's going to be enjoyable, even for people who just want an extended RtNP and/or wanted to see a lot of these beta maps in a cohesive Unreal campaign for a while but never got it (I'm admittedly one of those people). Good work. I hope you can complete this.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 22:18

As stable I was talking about the BSP/HOM problems. Rebuilding Nexus didn't cause any problems at all. Though, I did use the MH conversion (it's on BUF hopefully) which has Nexus and NexusEnd connected. I don't know how is the Dots conversion but it should work, I think.

And uuh yeah RTNP Toxic gave me several mover problems and a ZoneInfo leak when rebuilt but I don't think you have to rebuild Toxic at all. Cryox ended up with many HOMs on rebuild and I am not able to fix it in any way.

I don't remember much about Soledad although you may want to make easier the secret where you have to destroy the wall by shooting it with the Flak Cannon on the other side (wider trigger) and possibly nerfing the instakill trap of the spiked ceiling which crushes you (it happens way too quickly, the Krall should have 10 HP or something).
No idea about Morose, I think it's quite fine.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Aug 2011, 22:35

Just because the discussion is fun here's a shot of my unholy yet PERFECTLY FUNCTIONING at long range EXU2/G59 conversion of Nexus/NexusEnd using MH-Nexus.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Fuck this, really.

Having worked on conversions for 11 maps between Unreal/RTNP/UBeta I know what it awfully feels playing with them in the editor. Sunspire and Toxic are/can be a chore, Nagomi and Foundry seem to be fine, Mothership levels can lead up to some minor HOMs, Approaching UMS Prometheus is HEADDESK if you want to remove the crashed ship from the valley and that what is stopping me from developing the last level of G59 (and not even Shivaxi with 227g was able to be of massive help, leading me to cut tons of interesting stuff).

If I were you I would ignore Nexus at all unless you have some semi-unique or simply remotely interesting ideas. I added it to G59 only because it worked for what I had in mind and I didn't have to care about lava lakes and I was able to give more personality to the whole place. But for the original version it's not worth it, it was probably part of something that would have been much bigger, like Cryox (usual Inoxx cut stuff).
ImageImage

Next