ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [ut] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 14:04

sana wrote:Please please please please please please change the skybox. Those extremely tiny, obviously tiling stars were the only thing that annoyed me about Glathriel Village...! Make the star texture bigger or something.

I actually liked the skybox of Glathriel village, but I can make the stars a bit bigger. Currently, they are scaled at 0.8. I'll change it to 1.0, which is the same size of the stars in Spire Village. Is that better?

Edit: Oh, and if anyone has any other suggestions of things to change in RTNP, now is the time!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 14:22

The Glathriel skyboxes truly sucked. You should also block players from going outside the town.
ImageImage

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 14:50

I thought the Glathriel skybox was fine aside from the stars and the square sun. Other than that I would probably just leave it as it is.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 17:19

I also think I recall seeing two sunspires in one of the skyboxes. Could you fix that if it's present?
Image Image

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 19:24

Lightning Hunter wrote:I agree. Having the original UnrealTournament.ini duplicated and modified is the best option, although we still don't know how that's possible. I'm not sure that is possible without writing a new .exe file, which I know nothing about.

I have written a basic BATch file. It should be placed in the root folder (that with the map, texture and system subfolders). It changes the resolution to 640 x 480. Changing the console etc. could be done very similar.

It shouldn't work in Win98 (or Mac) and could cause some issues. Of course the BATch shouldn't be closed until the creation of the INI has been finished. Somehow UT99 is closed minimized.

So I think the best way is giving the player all of the 3 following possibilities to modify the ini:
1. with a batch
2. with an INI included in the download
3. a short instruction, which lines to change

Here the BATch:

Code: Select all

@echo off
if NOT exist .\system\UnrealTournament.exe (
   echo BATch file should be placed in the UT99 root directory
   pause > nul & goto :eof
)
if NOT exist .\system\RTNPconversion.ini (
   if NOT exist .\system\UnrealTournament.ini (
      echo BATch failed, can't find UnrealTournament.ini
      pause > nul & goto :eof
   )
   FOR /f "delims=" %%i IN (.\system\UnrealTournament.ini) DO (
      SET "line=%%i" & CALL :replace   
   )
   echo RTNPconversion.ini created, press a key to start UT99
   pause > nul
)
Start .\system\UnrealTournament.exe -ini=RTNPconversion.ini

:replace
if /I "%line:~0,1%"=="[" echo.>>.\system\RTNPconversion.ini
if /I "%line:~0,19%"=="FullscreenViewportX" (
   echo FullscreenViewportX=640>> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
) else if /I "%line:~0,19%"=="FullscreenViewportY" (
   echo FullscreenViewportY=480>> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
) else   (
   if "%line:~-2,1%" == "=" (
      FOR %%f IN (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) DO (
         if "%line:~-1,1%" == "%%f" GOTO :onedigit
      )
   )
   echo %line%>> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
)
goto :eof

:onedigit
echo %line% >> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
goto :eof

The code creates RTNPconversion.ini, if this file is not present and then calls UnrealTournament.exe with this INI. Somehow the FOR loop at the top ignores empty lines, so I added an empty line (echo.>>) before each line starting with [. The lines, which begin with the 19 letters FullscreenViewportX (resp. FullscreenViewportY), are modified. All other lines are copied (echo %line%>>) EXCEPT the ones which end with = followed by a one digit number. I got problems copying them, so I added a space at the end (echo %line% >>). This shouldn't make any difference for numbers, I think (I tested it with brightness).

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 20:54

Wow, you are completely awesome, integration! That worked beautifully! I changed the resolution lines to modify the console type, and launch Upack.unr for the flyby. Oh, and guess what? There is a really nice positive side effect of using Upack.unr as the flyby for the game. It actually shows "New", "Save", and "load" in the game menu! The only issue is that the "new" menu only runs Unreal, not RTNP. Can this be modified?

Oh, and there is something else. When I think about it, this same method needs to also apply to User.ini, because the player type needs to be changed to a Upak player for the game to work properly. Can this be done easily?

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 21:39

Darn, I thought the player class would also been defined in the UnrealTournament.ini. No, I don't know how to modify User.ini.

You can change the player class in the GameInfo's Login function like in ONP or Xidia. Perhaps you can also do it through the menue.

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 21:42

integration wrote:Darn, I thought the player class would also been defined in the UnrealTournament.ini. No, I don't know how to modify User.ini.

You can change the player class in the GameInfo's Login function like in ONP or Xidia. Perhaps you can also do it through the menue.

As far as I know, can't you run the game using the -UserINI= command? Can't you add a usermade user.ini file, and use all the same techniques you already used for your previous bat file, only have it duplicate the previous user.ini file?

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:05

Not been on here for ages and was immediately drawn to this, I can't wait! Just a few things that bugged me with the original RTNP that I hope you can address (sorry if any of these have been brought up before).

- The drop boxes in Nagomi Day never made sense & should be deleted as it seemed they were dropped after you were meant to be killed by the marines.
- can we have a lift at the end of Bounds of Foundry that actually goes 'up' so it feels like you are gaining altitude?
- A bit more story after the crashsite as it was completely non-existent after that point.
- I was looking forward to a marine battle right at the end but it never happened, can this be put in right before you escape in the scout ship?
- Can there be mention of events of the original game somewhere as the Skaarj have lost their queen but somehow it was never even acknowledged in the addon as far as I can remember?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:18

There's no point fixing the Foundry's final elevator since you're not going over icy mountains this time. Also I'd rather want the Marines at the end of the game (if they ever appear again) being killed by the Warlord instead of yourself. I really want the original Unreal episodes to keep the consistency of fighting aliens only and not humans (even though that would mean removing the Crashite fight which is a no-no in a way).
Last edited by UB_ on 13 Sep 2011, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:29

Hm... the things Fashahhh mentioned are all valid. Why haven't I noticed that before? :B

Lightning Hunter wrote:As far as I know, can't you run the game using the -UserINI= command? Can't you add a usermade user.ini file, and use all the same techniques you already used for your previous bat file, only have it duplicate the previous user.ini file?

Yes, you are right. I couldn't remember of the -userini parameter.

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:50

Yes, you are right. I couldn't remember of the -userini parameter.

I tried modifying your .bat file to include a user.ini, but I'm just too noob at the code to understand it fully. Hehe. Could you possibly add it for me, and run the game with the additional -userini parameter? This really is the best way to do it, because then the player isn't forced to use just one skin and model (which is what you'd have to do if the gameinfo set it).

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 02:51

- The drop boxes in Nagomi Day never made sense & should be deleted as it seemed they were dropped after you were meant to be killed by the marines.

I can't just delete the drop boxes altogether, because then there will be missing ammo. I guess I could replace them with corpses that have weapons sitting next to them.

can we have a lift at the end of Bounds of Foundry that actually goes 'up' so it feels like you are gaining altitude?

Like UB said, the exit of Foundry takes you somewhere else now (fhub 6, now known as the Merc Shipping Lane).

A bit more story after the crashsite as it was completely non-existent after that point.

Well, I'm really not into the idea of adding random translator messages here and there, because I don't think it would improve things much unless I had scripted events to accompany them (and I'm not about to do that). That being said, there are additional subplots already added to the beta content. I'm about to playtest the whole pack soon, and jot down notes on things to fix/improve. If I find places to add simple translator events that connect the story or add to it, then I might do that.

I was looking forward to a marine battle right at the end but it never happened, can this be put in right before you escape in the scout ship?

Really, I'm trying to keep the RTNP game play intact. I was also disappointed with the end battle of RTNP the first time I played it, but I think most people disliked the battle with the marines in Crashsite. About the only thing I can do is modify the Skaarj Warlord skin, so he's at least more unique. Is anyone for this idea?

Can there be mention of events of the original game somewhere as the Skaarj have lost their queen but somehow it was never even acknowledged in the addon as far as I can remember?

Once again, I have no plans to add random translator events into the game - but if I come across a spot that I think it would fit, then I might do it.

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 04:14

How is this skybox for Glathriel?

The problem before was the stars being set as "unlit". I made the stars more like SpireVillage.

This is what it looked before, as a comparison:

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 04:39

Perfect :tup:
Image Image

Previous Next