Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [ut] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 08:05

Lightning Hunter wrote:I tried modifying your .bat file to include a user.ini, but I'm just too noob at the code to understand it fully. Hehe. Could you possibly add it for me, and run the game with the additional -userini parameter? This really is the best way to do it, because then the player isn't forced to use just one skin and model (which is what you'd have to do if the gameinfo set it).

If you give me your modified .bat and tell me what to change: which player class, skin, face, voice and so on. It would also be possible to let the player choose between Gina, Sonya, Ash, Kurgan and Dante.

Anyway this shouldn't have a high priority. You can use your INIs via a windows shortcut: Simply create a shortcut to the UnrealTournament.exe, click on properties and add -ini=MyUT.ini -UserIni=MyUser.ini to the target line. Shortcuts don't use relative path declarations(?), so probably not the best way for a download, as everyone would have installed UT99 to a different directory.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 11:24

I only changed the two things you added into the batch file. I changed the console to upakconsole, and the localmap to upak.unr. Here is the new code:

Code: Select all

@echo off
if NOT exist .\system\UnrealTournament.exe (
   echo BATch file should be placed in the UT99 root directory
   pause > nul & goto :eof
)
if NOT exist .\system\RTNPconversion.ini (
   if NOT exist .\system\UnrealTournament.ini (
      echo BATch failed, can't find UnrealTournament.ini
      pause > nul & goto :eof
   )
   FOR /f "delims=" %%i IN (.\system\UnrealTournament.ini) DO (
      SET "line=%%i" & CALL :replace   
   )
   echo RTNPconversion.ini created, press a key to start UT99
   pause > nul
)
Start .\system\UnrealTournament.exe -ini=RTNPconversion.ini

:replace
if /I "%line:~0,1%"=="[" echo.>>.\system\RTNPconversion.ini
if /I "%line:~0,7%"=="Console" (
   echo Console=UPak.UPakConsole>> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
) else if /I "%line:~0,8%"=="LocalMap" (
   echo LocalMap=Upack.unr>> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
) else   (
   if "%line:~-2,1%" == "=" (
      FOR %%f IN (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) DO (
         if "%line:~-1,1%" == "%%f" GOTO :onedigit
      )
   )
   echo %line%>> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
)
goto :eof

:onedigit
echo %line% >> .\system\RTNPconversion.ini
goto :eof

You don't have to go through all the trouble of having the batch file ask for the default player model. The player can simply choose once they open the game. The important part is that they have some sort of Upak player, because the code is required for the game to work correctly. In fact, maybe this could be another window button to add to the RTNP screen? If it doesn't take too much coding, a player selection window that limited the player to Upak players only would be awesome. But not if it would take too long.

Anyway, here is what I can think of so far for changes made with the batch.

-A duplicate RTNPUser.ini file with the following changes:
"Class=UPak.UpakMaleOne" (sets the class to Upak Male one)
"skin=male1skins.kurgan" (sets the skin to Kurgan)
"Enter=InventoryActivate" (sets the enter key to activate inventory items)
"F6=quicksave" (sets F6 to quicksave)
"F7=quickload" (sets F7 to quickload)

The only other changes I need to RTNPConversion.ini are additional file paths. Can new lines be added? Basically, I need the following lines added under [Core.System]
Paths=../System/RTNPUE/*.u
Paths=../Maps/RTNPUE/*.unr

I'm going to move the important files to these two locations, to avoid conflicts with pre-existing RTNP content that people might have. Keep in mind that the original Paths need to stay. These new paths are in addition to the old ones. Is that possible?

I think that's it for now. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Thanks integration!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 16:57

Not sure about that player selecting window. But somehow, if Oldskool is turned on, it is changed (like the New/Save/Load menu). If Oldskool is deactivated, you cannot choose an UPak player class.

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011, 01:20

I've been looking at Cryox in more depth, and have realized that once you figure out the correct path, the level can be beat in about 2 minutes. I'm thinking of marking the correct path with a fancy gizmo I created (I'll explain the purpose of them in the story, but I don't want to spoil it). However, I'm also thinking about forcing the player to explore a little more of the map first. Otherwise, they will just follow the markers straight to the exit, and that would be no fun. I'm also considering adding in some scripted battles. I'm going to use Dinwitty's conversion as a base, since that version is "fixed". It just needs an overhaul with better game play, and a proper goal.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011, 02:07

Looking forward to this. I never bothered playing any of the beta map conversions/rtnp revamps, but I'm loving the look of this one. Can't wait
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

sb306
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011, 06:54

Looking forward to this! \o/

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011, 13:04

Updated the first post with some news. Nothing big, but just a minor update. In case nobody has noticed, Integration has been tackling the remaining code in the mod for me. thanks Integration!

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011, 12:20

I pretty much finished Cryox tonight. I did the absolute best I could in making the map less confusing. It will always be a little bit confusing, especially if you decide to go swimming in all the tiny pipes - but I've added plenty of markers and translator messages telling you where to go. It will be the fault of the player for getting lost due to optional exploration in the water pipes, since the exit is clearly marked now. :P

I spent hours also enhancing the overall game play of Cryox as well. Several scripted sequences, a few surprise battles, and all the Mercenaries are always doing something (rather than just standing around). There have been many, many tweaks to the technical aspects of the map. I placed 843 blockall actors, which stops the player from passing and shooting bullets through spots that should block them. BSP errors have been fixed, the lighting has been tweaked, lots of translator messages added with a new subplot, additional ambient sounds, and much, much more.

Cryox was the last map on my list to improve. There are a few tiny things to tweak, then beta testing will begin!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011, 13:23

Lightning Hunter wrote:There are a few tiny things to tweak, then beta testing will begin!

And we all know what it means when a project on USP enters Beta Testing! ;) :P

Good to hear that Cryox is ready :tup:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Torquemada
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 13:58

Cheers all, first post... Just found this thread and decided to de-lurk. Been playing through community maps today and thinking how equally stupefying and satisfying it is that the classic game still keeps on truckin' and rockin' seemingly all the harder as time goes by and new content appears... A really big hand to you all who keep making it happen. :tup:

Lightning Hunter wrote:Edit: Oh, and if anyone has any other suggestions of things to change in RTNP, now is the time!

I really disliked the female character forced on the player. (Although IIUC that was the plan for Unreal originally, so there is some historic sense behind it.) I mean especially the "dear diary" -esque voice acting that takes place here and there. Is there a way to make it optional?

The voice acting alone pretty much ruined the immersion and somewhat crippled the overall RTNP experience for me. And that was a crying shame because I really liked everything else in it. Come to think about it, I think one reason why the original Unreal was so goddamn immersive was the vague, not fully "specced out" protagonist: that much easier to relate to.

Regardless, waiting for the release with bated breath anyway. :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 14:00

RTNP didn't force you into being a female character. You could choose Male or Female and there was voice acting for both genders.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 15:02

Torquemada wrote:I really disliked the female character forced on the player. (Although IIUC that was the plan for Unreal originally, so there is some historic sense behind it.) I mean especially the "dear diary" -esque voice acting that takes place here and there. Is there a way to make it optional?

Yeah RTNP's VA was pretty bad, but most VA is. You can skip those cutscenes by clicking Fire I think, if I remember correctly. And you were able to play as a dude too but his voice was similarly bad.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 15:51

Does the inclusion of the intermissions mean that there will be no co-op support?

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 19:30

I really disliked the female character forced on the player. (Although IIUC that was the plan for Unreal originally, so there is some historic sense behind it.) I mean especially the "dear diary" -esque voice acting that takes place here and there. Is there a way to make it optional?

What UB said. Rest assured, you can change the player just fine (as long as it's one of the RTNP players, and not some Unreal Tournament model). I hear you about the voice acting, and I agree that the acting could have been much better - but I definitely don't have the means (nor do I want) to record new voices. Like Waff said, you can skip the intermissions by clicking the fire button. You don't have to watch them by any means.

AlCapowned wrote:Does the inclusion of the intermissions mean that there will be no co-op support?

I've already stated that there will be no coop support, at least for the first release. Many significant changes would have to take place, so I'm just focusing on getting an SP-only version out right now. A coop version is possible in the future, but it would be a separate release that is made for coop only if it happens.

How many people here would want some sort of change made to the end battle? Someone said they wished there were marines at the end, and UB suggested having marines attacking the Warlord and you at the same time (this is very possible to set up). Should I keep the end battle the way it is, or change it? Suggestions please!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 19:50

With the changes I wouldn't really mind if the intermissions were cut altogether, given that they don't really add anything, and will fit less now that they won't even be after every level.

For RTNP to have an even vaguely satisfying conclusion I honestly think the whole gameplay of the final level could do with a change. I'm not sure what could be specifically done, but it needs something much more than fighting some low-mid tier enemies and a generic Warlord fight.
Formerly Mman

Previous Next