Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016, 17:55

I actually do not believe Newmca12 is a good fit for the RTNPUE version of Nexus for several reasons. First, the map has nearly 300 dynamic and ambient sound actors, and I picked Cyrene because it was quiet enough for the new sounds to be heard. Second, the music in Nexus plays almost the entire time. Given the length of the map, a 3-minute long track like Newmca12 would loop far too often. Cyrene is almost 6-minutes and non-repetitive. Finally, the biggest complaint I received from people was that Newmca12 was too calming for Morose. My version of Nexus is far darker and contains much more torture than Morose does. Those people that complained about it being too uplifting would find it to be an even worse match for Nexus!

I was trying to find somewhere to use SkyCity.umx while pleasing those people who wanted a darker sounding track in Morose. I already feel that Cyrene is a good fit for Nexus. SkyCity.umx really does not sound like sky themed music, which is why I theorize it was cut altogether, and another track used for Na Pali Haven. However, if you two don't think it sounds dark and foreboding (which I felt it kind of did), then I will not use it.

Maybe I should keep things the way they are. The only possibility I can think of is to use SkyCity in one of the outside maps mentioned in my previous post. Otherwise, I guess it will be left out yet again... I don't want Seti to be used in Morose, since I already relate that track to Ceremonial Chambers (I also feel it is a bad fit for a dungeon).
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016, 19:16

SkyCity is a weird song. It starts clean and shiny and then gets more and more scary. The comments seem to suggest that it was unfinished:
Walkaround : Pats. 00 to
Attack : U.D.

UD = Under Development?
I guess it was meant to be split into sections. One for normal exploration, and another, the scary one, for fights perhaps. Or to be used when player discovers a demolished section with the residents killed or tortured.

By the way, Seti was originally intended to be used in another crypt map called... Seti.

Also, speaking about dark songs, there's UnrCirc but it's more "haunted house" and there's Underworld but it's too cool and not depressing at all.
e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016, 19:21

So I have three ideas, and I think you guys might like one or more of them!

1. I realized that Solitary Silhouette (UnrCirc.umx) used in Arcane temple would actually fit Morose like a glove. In fact, although Arcane temple is dark, it is not that dark. Morose is a dungeon, which should have the darker track of the two. I could swap newmca12 and unrcirc.umx with Arcane and Morose.

2. I always felt that Nali Chant (Nali.umx) was far too dark and depressing for Eldora Well. There really isn't anything depressing about that map, except for maybe the fact that it is underground (although much of it is also outside). What if I used Newmca12 in Eldora, and Nali Chant in Morose? I think Nali Chant would fit Morose pretty well, given the fact that it is typically used in dungeon-like scenarios.

3. I could do some type of three-way swap between Eldora, Morose, and Arcane. Arcane temple could have Nali.umx, Eldora Well could have Newmca12.umx, and Morose could have UnrCirc.umx.

Edit: Posted at the same time as you, Yrex. I have yet another idea. I could do the 3-way swap like mentioned before, but drop Nali.umx altogether (since it already appears in Dark Arena, a far superior location for it). I could then use SkyCity.umx in Arcane temple, Newmca12 in Eldora, and UnrCirc in Morose.
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 01 Nov 2016, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016, 19:28

I really disagree with all the three choices. RTNP:UE music choices were fine enough and I don't understand the need to change them.

Don't change music just because you want to introduce more songs, just change if there's a new track that truly fits the map better than the one which did beforehand. And none of those absolutely do, they are songs made for certain locations and that have no place in other certain ones. SkyCity wasn't made for an ancient brown temple, nobody knows what Newmca12 was made for, UnrCirc wasn't even made for Unreal in the first place.
ImageImage

iLikeTheUDK
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016, 20:01

Newmca12 sounds very warm and homely, and also a bit sad. I don't think it'd fit Eldora's Well. In my opinion it needs to go in either Galathriel Village or Spire Valley. Otherwise it could be done with altogether.
:^3

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016, 20:27

UBerserker wrote:Don't change music just because you want to introduce more songs, just change if there's a new track that truly fits the map better than the one which did beforehand. And none of those absolutely do, they are songs made for certain locations and that have no place in other certain ones. SkyCity wasn't made for an ancient brown temple, nobody knows what Newmca12 was made for, UnrCirc wasn't even made for Unreal in the first place.

The initial reason behind me changing the music was not to add more songs, but to find something else for Morose. This was simply because at least 3 people said they disliked the music choice in this map. SkyCity was just an after thought. The only reason I brought Eldora Well in to this discussion is because I never actually liked Nali.umx as the music choice in that map. I always relate it to Dark Arena, which is a far superior map in every way (and a much darker map).

Anyway, I might just leave the music as is. I don't mind Newmca12 in Morose personally, but for whatever reason there were multiple people who did not think it fit.

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016, 06:13

In my opinion, Nali.umx fits Eldora Well. I think you shouldn't change music in original maps of URTNP.

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016, 06:19

Ok, so I think it is decided - I will leave the RTNPUE music unchanged. Newmca12 will stay with Temple of Jrath (Morose), unless someone else has a brilliant idea!

Shortly after I release UnrealHD this Friday, I will send RTNP:UE HD to beta testers. UB, do you want to be a beta tester again? There really isn't much to it this time, except for signing off on the HD skins and other minor changes made. Mostly, I just added a few new surprise skins and monsters.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016, 08:46

Lightning Hunter wrote:I will send RTNP:UE HD to beta testers. UB, do you want to be a beta tester again? There really isn't much to it this time, except for signing off on the HD skins and other minor changes made. Mostly, I just added a few new surprise skins and monsters.

I'll give it a whirl!
ImageImage

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 02:25

Just a note that the use of UPakTeleporters and normal teleporters with gametype flags (crashsite1) are forcing the gametype to UPakSinglePlayer. I haven't looked at the RTNP weapons yet but I'm assuming you're doing this to get them working. From the look of it, this is the only thing preventing RTNPUE from working in coop (oldskool.coopgame2). At the moment, tests running everything in coopgame2 seem to work fine with the exception of not being able to fire the RTNP weapons. Without looking at the source to say what can be done yet, I just wanted to bring this up as one possibility. While not ideal, these three weapons wouldn't fire but coop would work if exits were normal teleporters (with no gametype flags).

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 02:44

If I go messing with that stuff (and I don't think I have the energy right now), then I think it would be for a coop-only release. Integration and I did soooo much work with all the gametypes and all, and I really can't remember what the reasoning behind it was. I just know there were dozens of bugs initially that we had to iron out. I can foresee little things (or big things) breaking if anything is messed with. At this point, a good coder would have to step up to the plate to make this compatible for coop, and a separate release would have to be made.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 03:56

Just did a quick look and I don't really see any glaring problem with the source but after a few more tests it seems to be replication, not a gametype dependency. CarRifle works in Singleplayer2 and for listen host in Coopgame2 (clients untested). It only works for clients on dedi that are holding down fire when switching to the weapon. Every *u that came with RTNPUE is in my serverpackages, so unless there's a dependency I already have that isn't added I think it's a replication issue in the weapons' source. It's not something I have a solution for, just thought it might be worth mentioning here if someone looks into it in the future.

I just wanted to bring this up because after an attempt to run the public release on my server, it failing, and understanding why, with all the coop support muts I've been making for other maps I've decided to try doing the same here. If I can finish before the coming weekend's match, you're welcome to join and check it out. As a mutator it's far less of a risk than making permanent changes to a map, so if it works well and you'd like I wouldn't mind if you wanted to bundle it with this release. It would at least save you a ton of work and whole other release.

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016, 07:32

Hey Zyn, so if I am understanding you right - you think you can make a simple mutator that would allow RTNPUE to work in coop? If you are in fact able to create such an ingenious mutator, I would absolutely be willing to include it with the next release. 8)

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 08:10

It's not really simple but it's easy to use. I'll be testing it out today if you wanted to pop in. All the info here.

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016, 09:06

zYnthetic wrote:It's not really simple but it's easy to use. I'll be testing it out today if you wanted to pop in. All the info here.

Great, you will have to let me know how RTNPUE plays in coop (I am sure I will not be able to join). I see you have used the mutator to replace the RTNP weapons with default Unreal weapons. That's too bad, but I completely understand the disinterest in coding these weapons from scratch to work online.

The only thing I cannot guarantee is 100% coop compatibility with the maps. There might be some one-way rooms or areas where you can get stuck in if you die, but I'm not sure. I can't think of any such places off the top of my head, but I would not be surprised if people found them. Hopefully it will play just fine.

Previous Next