Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [ut] [RELEASED] RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 07:55

Well now that I totaly screwed the install of this, i just started copying files over.so now i have the ones in the extra directory and in the regular directories.
Can this run without the batch file ?

I never keep track of map names, but the one we had on the last map of the week, I think the end it can't find femaleskins or something after falling through floor.
Just ban everyone

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012, 11:57

redeye wrote:Well now that I totaly screwed the install of this, i just started copying files over.so now i have the ones in the extra directory and in the regular directories.
Can this run without the batch file ?

I never keep track of map names, but the one we had on the last map of the week, I think the end it can't find femaleskins or something after falling through floor.

You should be able to start it from inside UT. On the mod menu there should be an option to enable RTNP Ultimate Edition.
StalwartUK

User avatar armymen
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012, 07:36

id love 2 see some dino monster pawns with this
WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012, 07:45

armymen wrote:id love 2 see some dino monster pawns with this

I actually originally had some new Raptors in Nexus Beginning, but I got a comment from a playtester about how they did not fit with RTNP, so I removed them.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012, 08:50

Oh no, not the Dinos. They look out of place in Na Pali, especially in a pack heavily related to the original Unreal.
ImageImage

User avatar Nali Nemisis
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012, 10:33

This mod i will most definetly download when i get home. Haven't played unreal in a while, much less modded to it :lol: .

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012, 08:03

So I've been looking into fixing up the few small bugs that exist in RTNUE, and releasing a version 1.01 or something. There really aren't any significant bugs at all in version 1, and it will contain very minor fixes. I have a question though:

Didn't run into any noticeable issues apart from what has already been brought up regarding the looping soundtrack (DuskFall) at Edge of Na Pali with the Behemoth.

A few people mentioned this so-called "bug". I believe Hellscrag mentioned it first. However, I just realized that the original RTNP was like this also! I just confirmed it by killing the behemoth in Unreal Gold. Part 2 of the action music starts up when you kill him. So if this was a bug, then it's from the original map and NOT the version I released. I actually like the action music, and am thinking of leaving it the way it was originally.

User avatar armymen
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012, 09:06

i was wondering if you could release a version where we can play with different player models
WE'RE GONNA KICK YOUR ASS!

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012, 22:16

Finally got this installed, and is working just fine, no problems so far.
Just ban everyone

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012, 06:02

armymen wrote:i was wondering if you could release a version where we can play with different player models

Sorry for my late response. This won't be happening unfortunately, because you would have to modify the code of every model you wish to use in RTNP. There is no simple fix that allows you to use them all, because part of how RTNP works is through the code in the new player models.

redeye wrote:Finally got this installed, and is working just fine, no problems so far.

Enjoy. Let me know what you think. 8)

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012, 16:37

Lightning Hunter wrote:
armymen wrote:i was wondering if you could release a version where we can play with different player models
This won't be happening unfortunately, because you would have to modify the code of every model you wish to use in RTNP

this isnt technicly true. you could use a mutator to force change the players mesh and multitexture to another model , as long as it follows the same animation sequences.
i do this bs hack alot in unreal1 where gametypes dont let you use custom models. except i just a have a pickup that let you swap models

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012, 20:12

bob wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:
This won't be happening unfortunately, because you would have to modify the code of every model you wish to use in RTNP

this isnt technicly true. you could use a mutator to force change the players mesh and multitexture to another model , as long as it follows the same animation sequences.
i do this bs hack alot in unreal1 where gametypes dont let you use custom models. except i just a have a pickup that let you swap models

Yes, I'm sure you could use a mutator for this, but I'm definitely not about to write one. In fact, my project developing days for games is pretty much over. I just don't have the time anymore. If anyone else would like to give it a shot, then they are welcome to.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 12:07

Only just got around to playing this. I would have done it sooner but I was saving it for right after my "Unreal on Unreal" playthrough. Stupid decision cause I've been missing out for 2 years :P

You packed it full of pleasant surprises. For the most part, the intermissions weren't missed. The choice of music was great.

I had some technical issues and some quality issues though. While I absolutely loved the crypt maps despite them dragging on into each other hardcore, I found that a lot of the translator messages you added felt a little corny and poorly written (Although the grammar was good, I'm not talking about that). Some of the messages also just didn't seem to fit in their contexts. I can't remember any specific quotes right now, but I do remember that there were a lot of things written on the walls in the crypts that felt more like they should have been written in an abandoned journal or on a nali/krall/skaarj corpse. When reading them I got a very personal vibe as if a particular nali was actually talking to me from a diary.
J'Raths history was nicely fleshed out, in that level, although even there some of the messages ruined my suspension of disbelief.
The stuff on the walls in the crypt maps should have been ALL fire and brimstone, death and decay, doom and damnation. But iirc instead I was getting hopeful "the saviour will come" messages. IMO it just didn't work.
Also I was pumped for solitude but subplot wise it fell flat. Messages like "Ride this lift to learn the true meaning of seclusion" had me cringing and kind of ruined any attempt at story for me in this level. I was hoping for a story about some epic skaarj or nali who used to live alone in the temple, and was pretty pissed off when a whole bunch of other dudes decided to barge in and make themselves at home. I was expecting random psuedo-philosophical stuff written on the walls like in Chizra, and stories about the vengeful, pissed off skaarj/nali who's home had been desecrated attached to books and corpses.

Long story short, good try with adding some messages to the crypt maps, but I don't think you brought out their maximum story potential (which could have even been no subplot at all and simple quake-esque running and gunning.)

A technical issue I had was with the pirates. A lot of them failed to pick up their guns and just marched up to me and got all in my face without a weapon. Such pests. I blew them away with the flak easily.

The fire krall were great. Cryox was pretty sweet although I was hoping you'd utilize the water maze more than you did in the end. Merc shipping lanes was alright, but I feel that perhaps a little more detail could have been added. If you weren't prepared to touch up the architecture, then at least a couple more messages about how the place is a total barren wasteland/saltlake/shithole/desert. Lampshade the damn thing. And I love what you did to the final map! I think it would have been cool in the final map to have some marines fighting the krall as set pieces as you walk around the outside part. Leave the inside part how you did it because that was perfect; what with the red warlord and the fire krall and all that. Also the two little blue warlords were great. But I think scattering 3 or 4 marines around the castle on the outside part before you get to the blue warlords would have been key.

Also, something that's always pissed me off about rtnp and I should have been more vocal about before you released this: Galas peak needs those ice skaarj on all difficulties. I think making it so that the ice skaarj are fighting the mercenaries would have been great. Like, in the wings of the keep you could have half skaarj, half mercenaries, in the main room could have it as all skaarj, and down near the teleporter it could have been a mercenary. (BTW loved that you added predators and spinners in more places and changed their skins.) It's like the ice skaarj control the keep and the mercs are trying to stage a takeover. And then prisoner 849 comes in and ruins both of them.

Having played galas peak on easy, I reckon it's much better with the ice skaarj instead of mercs. It's just that i don't want to have to play it on easy to get that :p

Very enjoyable romp. However, with the way the story is written now I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is going to replace standard RTNP when I next want to play through it. I can handle minor bugs and technical issues, but I just can't stand the poor Utranslator presence in the crypt maps. Are you open to a story patch? I wouldn't mind going through the crypt maps and shuffling the messages around a bit myself. I wouldn't delete anything you've written because none of it is actually bad, it's just out of place. I would tastefully scatter some books, nali and skaarj corpses around and attach your translator messages to those, while thinking up new ones for the stuff written on the walls.

I feel like I'm being a total pedant, but it honestly got in the way of my enjoyment of the levels :p Story cohesion and implementation are important!

(To reiterate the key thing though: I had fun playing this and think you've done an excellent job touching up these levels. Thanks so much!)

Edit: Another little issue I had, is that some of the level transitions were far too abrupt/nonsensical. This only happened two or three times so it wasn't a biggie, but it was still annoying and ruined suspension of disbelief. I think one such moment is in the transition between nexusend and nagomi/spire valley (can't recall which). The transition architecture goes from crypt to a brief section of temple to outside, instead of just crypt to outside. It's annoying and could probably be fixed with a simple change of texture set on the temple part, to make it an extension of the crypt.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013, 20:48

So what did you like about the pack, IronKnuckle? Just kidding. :P

You are entitled to your opinion of course. I agree that I could have taken the story of Soledad a lot further, but I wasn't really looking to spend hours more on it. In fact, I was going for more of the Quake feel, like you mentioned. I just wanted some new levels with more sight-seeing, action, and a few puzzles. Too many translator messages can slow down the game play. The crypt maps have a comparable number of translator messages with the default Unreal maps. Chizra has 19 messages, versus 15 of Morose. Not that big of a difference. Chizra has the largest abundance of translator messages in Unreal. Most Unreal maps have very few translator messages. Of course, I respect your opinion not to like what I put in the translator messages. I don't expect everyone to like my story ideas. :)

In regards to some of your other issues:

TheIronKnuckle wrote:A technical issue I had was with the pirates. A lot of them failed to pick up their guns and just marched up to me and got all in my face without a weapon. Such pests. I blew them away with the flak easily.

Did you use any mutators while playing? I've played through RTNPUE maybe 10 times without seeing this bug, nor has anyone else mentioned it. This bug did exist when I first added the pirates, but Integration helped me fix it. I haven't heard of anyone else seeing it in the final release.

Cryox was pretty sweet although I was hoping you'd utilize the water maze more than you did in the end.

So many people hate the water mazes of Cryox that I decided to make them straightforward for the average person. However, if you dare to explore, you will be rewarded with powerups that will help immensely in the next map. Did you find the shield belt and all?

About Gala's peak, I agree that some kind of Merc Vs. Skaarj setting would have been cool, but it was a last minute decision to change the game play of the official maps at all. I was going to leave them completely untouched, but ended up adding a few little extras here and there. I never intended to change the stories of the official maps.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel this isn't a good replacement for the original RTNP. You are absolutely free to do what you want with RTNPUE. It was just a fun project for me, and kind of my last project in gaming (although, admittedly I am working on a Total Annihilation project here and there - but it will take years when I only have 10 minutes here and there to work on it). My days of spending long hours of mapping for Unreal are pretty much over. I'm married now and have a wife to think about, so that's why I don't even post much around here anymore. But once again, feel free to do what you want with RTNPUE. I would like to see what you come up with if you do anything. :)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 03:50

Haha I should have made it more clear that I loved it. In terms of gameplay, RTNP:UE totally replaces RTNP. (Also your use of beta pawns was brilliant. I loved the lighter/more saturated skaarj in the crypt levels.)

I take back what I said about adding marines to the last map. The changes you've made to the original levels flow with the established theme of standard RTNP, and I wouldn't want to go against that philosophy/approach.

Galas peak I'd still love to see those ice skaarj. Next time I've got access to the editor I'll see if I can effectively swap some in. The only thing I'd be changing is the difficulty pawns appear on, and make it so that if any skaarj see any mercs they'll fight each other (I believe you just have to set their team-tag...?). The only way a merc/ice skaarj fight would happen is if you retreated and caused a skaarj to follow you into a room full of mercs. Otherwise everything would be as you left it.

@the cryox watermaze: DAMN. I knew I should have hung around for longer :lol: You can ignore my comment from the previous post.

I think the only mutator I was using was the one to get old weapon sounds back. (That's the only one I use for SP games)

With regards to the translator messages: Nothing you wrote was actually bad (with the possible exception of that single solitude message I mentioned earlier :P). I just found them to be out of place. When I next have access to the editor I'll have a go at rearranging things a bit, and then send over the results for you to check out (when you've got time, I'm willing to wait :P). I'd rather not release any changes I've made unless you give approval/make them an official patch. Because you've put blood sweat and tears into this, so it would be a massive dick move for me to go "yeah you didn't do a good enough job, let me tweak some things" and then release. Also AFAIK I'm the only one who's had any issues with the story additions so far, and it would be pretty GheY to impose my opinions on everyone else, without first showing what I've done and getting approval.

I'm all for keeping the story light on the crypt levels as I quite like the quake-ish style they've got going. The stuff I would add/change would be pretty generic/minor. (With solitude, if I can't think of anything that actually counts as a decent subplot, I'll keep that generic as well).

I really don't want to make to many changes, because you've already made this thing so close to perfection. I guess that's also why I want to make changes at all, try to push it just a little bit closer :)

Thanks for the reply! (And thanks for the shoutout in the readme :P I chuckled when I read that. Was thinking "Wow, I've done it all when I'm in the special thanks section of an unreal mods readme")
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Previous Next