A random sentence for a random mind.

Unreal 97: (Almost) Identical Remakes

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Master_Unreal
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Unreal 97: (Almost) Identical Remakes

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011, 21:33

Copied from BeyondUnreal forums, I figured this may be some interesting news to some mappers who would want to use these or those simply interested in the beta content themselves

Hello, been a long time, since I got my new PC built I haven't done a whole lot with unreal for awhile, but boredom struck and.........lets just say boredom is a very powerful tool....
I opened up the Unreal 97 editor and looked at the models for a bit.....thinking of ways to get these out (what am I thinking, there IS no way to get them out) But then I looked at the Polygons mode for a second and thats when it hit me....

I took a top down snapshot of the firefly for starters, added red dots to mark each vertex, and loaded it into blender. After a few minutes the final result was such:

I then decided to take upon something more complex, and I did the blob......to my surprise it not only came out well, it looks almost identical to the blob from the actual unreal 97 alpha

The only oddity I can point out is the way the tentacle is mapped, but aside from that its very close. This leaves me sitting with one thing and one thing only in my sights......I'm sure I don't have to explain myself past this point

Stay tuned for more updates

I am currently working on putting the dragon together, then most likely the Woman....if I can adapt the trick im using to work with images that don't have a polygon/wireframe mode, then there may be some more stuff done......think unreal 95

EDIT: Dumped the download link here ------> http://www.multiupload.com/1DTJ8G2F9V
Last edited by Master_Unreal on 22 Oct 2011, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Unreal 97: (Almost) Identical Remakes

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011, 00:40

Sick one! How are you dealing with animations?
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011, 04:10

For models being done completely from scratch, if the model has animations already (Dragon, Woman) Then I will follow the same procedure I did with the Quake Pawns and eventually do my own animations, of course the ones that don't have animations will just be improvised

As for the Krall, Bigman and Tentacle, I have come up with a method that goes as follows

1. Rework UV maps in blender
2. Export to obj file
3. Import original .3d file
4. Import OBJ (UVs Only) in milkshape
5. Reexport to .3d, bundle with the original _a.3d file
6. Profit

Speaking of the Bigman

The Bigman UV's have been reworked, 3 skin variants were made

1. Big Man '97 (Original seen in the alpha)

2. Big Man 2 (I've noticed some screenshots of the big man showed a darker skin with more vibrant eyes, so I did this as well)

3. Big Man '96 (Anyone remember this guy? Yeah its a bit crappy and not nearly exact, I'll improve on it but I had to give this variant some attention too)

Dragon is next in line :D

Suggestions and opinions for the BigMan '96 skin are greatly appreciated, its definitely not exact, but it deserves attention too

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011, 04:20

If you want to use my krall as a base, feel free. It's not perfect, so any improvements would be welcome.

Edit: Oh wait, do you have a way of looking at the UV maps of Unreal meshes? If not, I could save what I have as an *.obj file or something.

This image of the '96 big man might help:

Your big men look great, and that second skin looks perfect. I'd love to see a full pack of beta pawns. :D

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011, 12:40

AlCapowned wrote:If you want to use my krall as a base, feel free. It's not perfect, so any improvements would be welcome.

Edit: Oh wait, do you have a way of looking at the UV maps of Unreal meshes? If not, I could save what I have as an *.obj file or something.

This image of the '96 big man might help:

Your big men look great, and that second skin looks perfect. I'd love to see a full pack of beta pawns. :D

All animations are working

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 05:27

I give you............the dragon (insert various HammerFall chanting here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTSEuu0d9Uc)

This one was by far the hardest one to recreate and surprisingly not because of the model itself, but because of the UV mapping. This was however one of the most fun to do. Opinions and feedback as always are extremely helpful

As for animations, those will be done after all models are done (Woman, possibly garygoyle? I'm at least giving that one a shot) They will either be, in the case of the woman and dragon, be based off current animations in a similar fashion to the Quake remakes, and just thinking of my own after that (UNBIBLE.RTF states some of the anims it was supposed to have)

The red dragon (the other half we don't have at least) will be done at a later time, up next is the woman

Delemary
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 06:55

hmm. i dont see Unreal having dragons. i like it though

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 12:35

They were originally planned in Unreal (before 1998 im guessing) but they ended up not making the final release (Whyyy would you doooo such a thing epic? :lol: )

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 12:56

Exactly. Skaarj Hawks own!
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 12:58

Were the dragons replaced by the Titans? If so that was a wise step as the Titans feel a bit more original and fit better with the sci-fi side of the game.
Still a dragon would be cool in some custom pack's setting and it's exciting seeing all these remakes. :tup:

Though what's up with that Big Man with the huge eyes and mouth? He looks like a Crash Bandicoot villain. :B

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 13:32

Titans are as much original as how the Dragons were supposed to be. And no, the Dragons were dropped for nobody.

Actually, I think the Titans are probably less original than the Unreal Dragons. And definitely more boring.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 15:49

I wish the tech demo included the skin of the dragon without the blood on its mouth. It looked out of place, although it's much better on your model. I think the neck could be a bit thicker. Nice work, though.

Master_Unreal wrote:All animations are working

I was talking about the UV maps, but yours look pretty good.

How many people have this Unreal Bible, anyway? So many people seem to reference it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 17:05

I don't know how many people have UnBible besides me but it was not supposed to be spread around.
ImageImage

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011, 18:02

I want one :<

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011, 09:15

wtf is an unreal bible?