Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: [U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 08:30

damn it. I have an arseignment due soon and this comes out :lol:
What's the estimated playing time for someone who takes it slow and checks everything out?

Those shots on the top and bottem right look fucking sick btw. Good job guys!
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 08:43

One word: Awesome! I can't believe that this was built and tested in only 3 months!
First I was (neutrally) suprised about its comic moments but then I found myself in this world. You could have seen me with eyes wide open several times [the train station, the bar and the temple exterior, the battle, the outro!]. So refreshing and nice ideas I never thought of in Unreal! The architecture was decent, and the places were connected fluently, as if one mapper had built them. However, I noticed the difference of the mapper's styles. You took also advantage of 227's effects which added more to the atmosphere (the water in the first cave; great!) but also slowed down the performance at some places.
I enjoyed the story, maybe there were too many twists and side plots, but it kept me playing on. The only letdown were these tiny little messages (as salsaskarrj already mentioned) that can be barely read at once when they are so long. I'd include a custom script which allows you to make the streaming text bigger (perhaps with a different font) and which also grants the opportunity to make a mouse click to read the next message (I know that this is possible: mr hapflinger scripted it for my campaign, as I also trust on messages to carry on the story).
All in all I really loved it and maybe I join the next time for a second volume ;)

I'd be interested in some kind of developer's diary, just like we have written for the anniversary contest. The thread doesn't reveal too much infromation, you know :P ? Or at least I'd like to know who built which places.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 10:21

Well, I'm happy to hear you guys like it. It means the idea itself was quite good XD

I have no time to play it again (I don't know the ending at all) but soon I'll try to do it.
About the line scripting, I'll think about it, maybe we'll do some update.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 11:44

Definitely if we are going to do a second volume I'd like a more robust dialogue system because I agree the tiny blue text can be hard to read at times. I don't really have any scripting knowledge myself though so if someone has something lying around I'd be really happy!

Also if someone can recommend something it might be worth retroactively refitting Volume 1 with the dialogue system.

@IronKnuckle: I think something like 1 to 1,5 hours?

@Editor Dave:

[spoiler]Map 1:

Qtit made the start of the first map up to the point where the titan punches through the wall
I made the section with the three junctions up to the bit at the end of the temple with The Monster and the rabbit
Zacman made The Bloblets HQ
Ebd made the first part of The Bloblets keychain dimension up to and including the transsexualizer and the first convo with Takk
Turbo made shantytown and the train

Map 2:
Mman made the first part of map 2 with the Rabbit convo and I think the bit of the temple you get ported to before the bridge (I'm not totally sure, help me out here :o)
Turbo made a large part of the temple of Evil Villainy with the restaurant, gift shop and (not totally sure) the giant snake room? (might be Qtit already)
Qtit made the Chalice gallery and the fake Chalice of Awesome Evilness room
ebd made the room with the reflesher up to the point where Takk kicks the grate open
I made the warehouse where the real Chalice of Awesome Evilness is kept, and the Battlebeasts event
sana made the corridor with the explosive barrels everywhere

Map 3:
Mman made the entire final battle with the Bloblet including the bit in the gift shop
I made the credits sequence[/spoiler]

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 12:08

[spoiler]
Frieza wrote:Map 2:
Mman made the first part of map 2 with the Rabbit convo and I think the bit of the temple you get ported to before the bridge (I'm not totally sure, help me out here :o)
[/spoiler]

Yeah, the temple room after getting teleported back was some old content I finally got to do something with.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 12:37

BFNP wasnt it? ;)

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 12:41

Frieza wrote:BFNP wasnt it? ;)

The base was from BFNP, but 90% of the design was done after. People who saw that chain-map which never went anywhere (and that this project is essentially a spiritual successor to) will also recognise it :) .
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 15:43

[spoiler]Not sure if it's a bug or I just missed it somehow, but the armory skaarj guy never gave me the jumpboots, just the DP. I had to summon them.[/spoiler]

Enjoyed most of it, even if story maps aren't my "cup of tea". As suspected, architecture made me jealous in several places. Wish I could get that grandiose style down better. Overall great job, especially for 3 months of work - other projects should take note of the announce to release time!
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 16:06

Doublez-Down wrote:[spoiler]Not sure if it's a bug or I just missed it somehow, but the armory skaarj guy never gave me the jumpboots, just the DP. I had to summon them.[/spoiler]

Did you [spoiler]kill the murderer in the toilet at the back of the bar?[/spoiler]
Formerly Mman

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 18:29

Mman wrote:
Doublez-Down wrote:[spoiler]Not sure if it's a bug or I just missed it somehow, but the armory skaarj guy never gave me the jumpboots, just the DP. I had to summon them.[/spoiler]

Did you [spoiler]kill the murderer in the toilet at the back of the bar?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Hmmm, no but I must have missed the message that said he was a murderer and needed to be dealt with...thx. I just thought he was some random nali that liked standing in his own piss.[/spoiler]
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar BeWilderBeest
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 19:17

Hmmm... I didn't even notice that bit.
[spoiler]That is to say, the killing of the murderer. I didn't even get the boots. I completed the pack without them... I'm not sure if that was intended. That's one point where I got a bit lost because of the messages disappearing too fast.[/spoiler]

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 19:28

Howd you manage to get past the train without the jumpboots?

User avatar BeWilderBeest
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 19:31

Wall-hugging and timing my runs :P

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 19:39

not bad XD

[spoiler]Temple Giant Snake room is my creation XD[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Lot of spoilers roun'd here. Don'tcha think?[/spoiler]