Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: [U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 16:31

It's finally here! After two months of building and one month of testing, fixing and testing and fixing some more you can play the result of our collaborative effort yourself!

Developers: Frieza, ebd, Mman, Qtit, Turboman, zacman, sana

Synopsis: The Chronicles of Weedrow: The Quest for the Chalice of Awesome Evilness is the result of an exercise in creating a story-heavy campaign where each mapper would build on the story the previous mapper established in his own section. Each mapper was completely free in where they chose to take the story next, for instance by introducing new characters or putting an interesting spin on the already established characters. Somehow, miraculously, a (mostly) coherent narrative emerged with a wide range of interesting and funny characters and plot twists, and we're sure you will have as much of a blast playing it as we had creating it.

For now, this is the first and only adventure of our main protagonist, Weedrow. However, it's quite possible that we will run a similar event again in the future, which will hopefully lead to another volume in the Chronicles of Weedrow.

Important information: Make sure you have Unreal 227h installed and that you have ScreenFlashes enabled in your Unreal.ini (it's under [WinDrv.WindowsClient])

Download Links:
Chronicles of Weedrow page
MultiUpload
Mediafire

Other Links: The development thread

Any and all comments/feedback/bug reports are appreciated :o Enjoy playing!
Last edited by Frieza on 30 Oct 2011, 17:45, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [U227] [RELEASED] The Chronicles of Weedrow Vol. 1

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 16:41

Sounds awesome! I'll definitely play this once I install 227.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 17:26

Loving it so far! Great work, guys. :tup:

Quick question, though. I started the first map twice, and started out at different areas. Is that supposed to happen?

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 17:32

Looks like we forgot to remove a playerstart somewhere... that's curious though.. Ive tested that map maybe a 100 times and it didnt happen to me..

Edit: Ok that was the problem.. will upload a fixed version soon.

Teridax, make sure you start out in the snow ;)

Edit 2: All download links have been updated with a new version that fixes this

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 17:50

Like it so far...funny stuff and an interesting temple. Small detail above.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Frieza

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 18:13

Hmm, I'll make sure that gets fixed when we get enough bugs to warrant a patch.

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 18:32

That's Frieza's part I guess XD

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 19:56

I dunno if you guys want to make this coop compatible or not, but there's 2 things so far I've noticed in the first level that could be used for griefing.
[spoiler]1)The first movable rock can be pushed down a slope where you can't actually move it back, due to a stupid physics thing where you can't push decorations UP slopes. {Maybe we should fix this in 227?.. I don't even know if it's worth it. But it always bothered me you can't push anything UP slopes, only down.}
2) The rectangular mover you use to open the door after you fall will bump the player and not trigger sometimes. Easy fix is to ignore on encroach, or if you're feeling like punishment.. CRUSH on encroach.[/spoiler]

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:01

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote:[spoiler]1)The first movable rock can be pushed down a slope where you can't actually move it back, due to a stupid physics thing where you can't push decorations UP slopes. {Maybe we should fix this in 227?.. I don't even know if it's worth it. But it always bothered me you can't push anything UP slopes, only down.}[/spoiler]

I don't think this statement is true, at least not in UT. In Bob, the first version I pushed metal boxes up sloping stairs so that I would have more height to jump over something. This wasn't supposed to be the way to progress so in the next version it mas made impossible to push the metal box to the stairs. I have to admit though that I'm not sure whether a metal box is considered a decoration.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:36

Some parts later on would be pretty much impossible to properly support in coop without major changes, and it wouldn't work in coop anyway, since it doesn't really have any "traditional" gameplay.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:51

Can I patch UGOLD with 227h without opening the game first? Is there any other step that I have to do in order to make the game work without problems?
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:52

Enjoying it.
Unfortuately forgot to activate the jumpboots before jumping (which is why I have time to post here now :shy: )

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 20:53

UBerserker wrote:Can I patch UGOLD with 227h without opening the game first? Is there any other step that I have to do in order to make the game work without problems?

Just execute the patch (before opening Unreal) and everything should be OK (and check if those screen are enabled, as mentioned in the readme).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 21:12

Ok I'm going to get the latest S3TC stuff and then I'll finally play some Unreal 227
ImageImage

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011, 21:42

Found a small fixable bug in playing the game in higher difficulty on map 2, and another weird bug.

[spoiler]In 227 when you are on high difficulties {> 3}, monsters gain the ability to see through bsp/walls etc with level.bEnhancedSightCheck

The monster arena thing breaks horribly on higher difficulties unless I "set levelinfo bEnhancedSightCheck false". A quick fix would be to set that sometime in either a trigger or a custom actor's PostBeginPlay.

If you select 2 monsters in the arena REALLY quickly, it puts both out.

Also @ the translator message with the monsters dying at the same time, I can think of a way to fix it, but it might need to be redone depending on how the system works. Basically my idea is to have the monsters trigger something that has a small delay on registering the kill to do some heuristics to determine if both died at the same time... it's probably not worth the effort tbh.[/spoiler]

Anyways, finished the pack. Amazing stuff that I couldn't even know you could do with emitters, and funny the entire way through. Great job guys.

Next