A random sentence for a random mind.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 2 [Lock me please!]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009, 23:12

Nah, UArch is doing the scripting for this stuff. He can script pretty much anything. :P Thanks for the offer though!

[Edit] I mean thanks for the offer to make the icons. I know no one with any sense would WANT to do what UA is doing :P
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 08 Jan 2009, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009, 23:14

I actually meant the "remaking 70 icons from scratch" thing, but okay. :lol: Nevermind me, I'm just craving for new interfaces in mods these days.. but the scaler does look interesting!

User avatar Nahand
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009, 23:31

...i know what you said about keeping the Unreal HUD for now, but since its being re-scripted for EXU2 purpose, IF you decide to go ahead and replace it totally already (or anytime soon), i'd suggest going for the visual style (font type, colors) that you're using in that Start Map you showed us. Keeps in context with the EXU logos you've shown before, and now, with the actual ingame stuff. Just a suggestion :) ...
...'sharp dressed man'...

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009, 01:13

Yeah, a hell/glowlyhell/fire and brimstone theme would be what I'd do.

I may get around to it some time! Thanks for the ideas guys :tup:

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009, 12:17

Awesome stuff :tup:. Keep up the good work.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009, 12:42

I would agree that a new set of HUD icons would be an advantage if you can arrange it. It could still be true to the overall deaign of the original (with added fire and brimstone).

Specifically, that Flare icon really doesn't scale up to that size well at all:

Waffnuffly wrote:Image
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009, 15:17

Hellscrag wrote:I would agree that a new set of HUD icons would be an advantage if you can arrange it. It could still be true to the overall deaign of the original (with added fire and brimstone).

Specifically, that Flare icon really doesn't scale up to that size well at all:

Personally I want all item icons to be twice as big as they are. They are way too small in high resolution.

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009, 15:21

Yeah, I know, simply scaling 32x32 icons doesn't really make them look any good, but it does make them visible and discernible, which is the important priority right now. I'll probably end up making all new icons from scratch at some point since it really is a good idea and it would tie the mod together better.

For now, though, you can scale the HUD up by I think 25% increments, all the way up to something stupidly huge like 4x or 8x the original size. And that was a while ago; the rewritten version might have support for more than that. :)

Also, I may have to delay the release of Demo 3 a little bit longer since this tutorial map has become a little more involved than I expected, but in a good way, as it will have a lot of nice little features. I'm trying to make EXU2 more accessible to people who have never even played a singleplayer mod before, too, so I have a lot of concepts I want to introduce to new players in the tutorial sections.

I might go replace the incredibly shitty Hyper Flakker primary fire while I'm at it, too...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009, 19:53

Waffnuffly wrote:I might go replace the incredibly shitty Hyper Flakker primary fire while I'm at it, too...

Yeah, it feels weak and shallow, even if it does tons of damage.
Also, I'd want two more Item Inventory icons. Showing five of them isn't enough for me.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009, 15:29

Here's another idea which could provide fun, however would perhaps be difficult to code (I have no idea how you could do it): Achievements!
Wouldn't a meta game make EXU more enjoyable? Achievements ranging from simple things like "Finish the game" to more interesting like "Kill thirty enemies within five seconds" or "Kill Chef Fucker using the Piddledoper only". Of course the fun depends on the brilliance of the achievement ideas; grinding goals like "Deal 2000000 damage" wouldn't cut it. What do you think?

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009, 16:01

sana wrote:Here's another idea which could provide fun, however would perhaps be difficult to code (I have no idea how you could do it): Achievements!
Wouldn't a meta game make EXU more enjoyable? Achievements ranging from simple things like "Finish the game" to more interesting like "Kill thirty enemies within five seconds" or "Kill Chef Fucker using the Piddledoper only". Of course the fun depends on the brilliance of the achievement ideas; grinding goals like "Deal 2000000 damage" wouldn't cut it. What do you think?

What's funny about that is that you will be dealing well over *4* million damage in one of the maps, and that's just an estimate based on certain criteria :P

I am curious, now, how much damage you will do on average throughout all 15 maps. It's probably somewhere in the billions. I think Oldskool's scoreboard reports that, but if not, I'm going to make something that records the number. And by the end of the entire final EXU2 campaign, it could very well be in the hundreds of trillions or the next level up. \o/

Anyway, yeah, another good idea here, but I don't know how to go about implementing it. And the thing about achievements is that while they are good for replay value, I am already trying to program in lots of replay value by 1) making the game ridiculously fun and 2) adding lots of randomness via filters and OddsOfAppearing, so even if I never figure out / have time to make achievements, the gameplay should still stand alone without them.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009, 16:28

I think ONP/Xidia/7B scoreboards report the damage that you've done to the enemies.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 01:40

Well this sucks.

Vimeo went and deleted my entire account, including the EXU videos, because I had uploaded a couple of Dead Space videos that were only showing gameplay, which apparently is a violation of their terms of service (despite all the other videos which do the same thing). So I now have zero EXU videos online. I plan to fix this by bringing all the original files with me to work tomorrow and uploading them to Youtube and Viddler and, possibly, under a new account at Vimeo if they won't reinstate my current one sans the two offending videos.

It really pisses me off that they would, without warning, just delete everything instead of just the offending videos.

Anyway, in other news, I fixed some bugs and rebalanced some MP weapons, so now the RFPC MP primary fire doesn't insta-gib everyone the way it did before. \o/ Also, progress is coming along with the EXU2 Menu map, but it is slower than I'd like. However, it also has a lot of stuff in it you wouldn't expect to see in a simple starter map, so I recommend everyone checks it out when Demo 3 is released. :)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 02:53

Vimeo delete any gaming videos (and accounts) if they find them so it's kind of a gamble to upload to them, as they might find out or they might not (at least not for a long time).

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009, 16:18

Yeah, I learned that the hard way! Anyway, now I have all my shit on Youtube, so anyone who wants to, feel free to subscribe to my channel and make my ePenis grow miles and miles

www.youtube.com/user/Waffnuffly

Watch out, though. There's some big time Demo 3 spoilerage videos on there.

Previous Next