Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 2 [Lock me please!]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: EXU2: Batshit Insane - Demo 2 [Lock me please!]

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 07:57

*** Demo 3 is nearly complete and is in the playtesting / rebalancing phase ***

Overall EXU2: Batshit Insane Progress (Entire Mod):

[ ||||||||||||||||----------------------------- ]

15/45 maps, so ~33.33% or ~1/3

That's right. Time for another demonstration of the insanity that is EXU2!

Contents:
[1] Downloads
[2] IMPORTANT! Bugs and Oddness
[3] News and Changes!
[4] Installation
[5] What the fuck is EXU?
[6] "Wait, did he say there's a story this time?" "Yeah what was that all about"

[1] Downloads
Wait for Demo 3 folks

[2] KNOWN ISSUES / POTENTIAL PROBLEMS
Please be aware that while EXU is really just one giant bug, it actually contains several smaller bugs--some of which may prevent you from playing. That's not good.
  • Batshit Insane: DO NOT use FMOD. I uploaded a patch for anyone who downloaded the demo yesterday and a new demo package for anyone who hasn't downloaded it yet. Install FMOD.dll, but use Galaxy if you have FMOD problems. You should still be able to hear MP3 music. Thanks Raven for the quick bug fix.
  • Batshit Insane: WEIRD SHIT DETECTED. While doing a last-minute playtest on a fresh install of UT to ensure I had included all the correct packages in the .rar, I ended up getting missing package 'RT-Detail' errors when trying to load map 2 (EXU2-BI02-HugeHam.unr), and no amount of searching led me to find out just what the fuck this package was, since it isn't anywhere in my main UT install. Eventually, copying and deleting some texture packages fixed this issue. LET ME KNOW if this happens to you! If you have lots of junk installed already, though, you should be ok. It may have just been an isolated issue, but I want everyone to be aware of it.
  • Batshit Insane: Nasty HOM early in map 8 when you look to the left in a certain area. There is an enemy here that may be watching when you approach it, so watch out; you won't be able to see it as easily.
  • Batshit Insane: Map 10 has had some incredibly fucked up voodoo magic happen with movers. If you notice movers doing anything retarded, just use your translocator to bypass them or find other ways to access certain areas. I guarantee you can overcome pretty much any mover problems in this map with the x-loc. I fixed most of the issues, but some may still remain.
[3] Ridiculously Awesome News
EXU2 has gone through a LOT of changes since the last time you saw it. Tons of new monsters, several new maps, upgraded old maps, etc. But best of all, EXU's code base has been totally reworked! No longer is there just one EXU.u; there are also EXU-Sounds.u and EXU-textures.u. What does this mean? You won't have to download a huge 30MB file just for a few simple bugfixes! Hooray! EXU.u, the central housing for all of the code, is a much smaller file now without all the sound and texture assets.

There's really too much to say about all the new stuff, and I'm too tired to mention much of it in great detail, but I can say that it all kicks massive amounts of ass. Here's a quick list of the hight points:
  • Redesigned code base: EXU.u split into EXU.u, EXU-Sounds.u, and EXU-Textures.u with EXUParticles.u and EXUAExtras.u making recent appearances
  • COMPLETELY redesigned the Shitgun, Hell Gun alt fire, Clusterfucker alt fire, and many other things to make gameplay better
  • The Shitgun primary now fires faster, and it spews shitballs that split into 3-5 mini shitballs on impact with a surface. If it gets stuck to the ceiling, it drops down explosive droplets that will damage anything they land near until the original shitball explodes. The alt fire shoots a Shit Canister, which acts like a timed grenade. It will not collide with creatures; instead, it will fall until it hits a surface--any surface at any angle--and then it will stick to that surface for one second. After that one-second timer runs out, it explodes, spewing out TONS of shitballs and doing massive amounts of damage, making it an extremely effective crowd-dispersal weapon.
  • The EnergyAR bolts, both primary and secondary (and the Midwife / SecBot lasers) now go THROUGH enemies instead of stopping when they hit one, and there is no limit to how many they can pierce! The bolts only stop when they hit a hard surface or a decoration or something non-living.
  • The Hell Gun alt fire now does a large area-of-effect blast that deals TONS of damage in a very large radius around the user--in front of, behind, above and below. However, the user will NOT take damage from this blast, making it an excellent tactical weapon effective at safely eliminating threats that move in too close.
  • The Clusterfucker now fires 8 seeker rockets in its alt fire mode. Currently the seek behavior is sorta buggy, but UArchitect is working on a solution. Regardless, this new rocket burst mode is far superior to the "2x primary" alt fire of the past, and the rockets are fast. And when they DO seek, you can easily see the benefits.
  • Loads of new visual effects and enhancements to make everything look and sound nicer--many of which are thanks to UArchitect for being so awesome
  • Shit tons of new creatures
  • Enormous amounts of bug fixes and optimizations
  • See the Changelog for a REALLY in-depth list of tweaks
This demo of Batshit Insane, EXU2's official SP campaign, also has seen tons of improvement in terms of visual effects, coop support, gameplay fun and complexity, and even demo length. Four new maps are included (I know, I know, I said I was going to add five, but development of Map 11 is stickier than expected, so it will have to wait until later), two of which are good and long. You should get plenty of playtime out of this package--especially on Hard or Unreal.

[4] Installation and Usage
EXU2: Batshit Insane:
  1. Install UT Patch 436 (if you haven't for some reason) and Oldskool Amp'd v239. Instructions are included with each... if you actually need them.
  2. Unpack EXU2-BI-Demo2.rar to a folder. Open EXU2-Files List [2-1-08].txt to see where all your files should go (I forgot to add a couple of .dlls to this list, but they obviously go in ..\System\).
  3. Start UT. You should see an "Activate Oldskool" button somewhere if you have just installed it. Do this and restart UT.
  4. Go to New Singleplayer Game and select EXU2: Batshit Insane from the dropdown list. Select your difficulty level and click start.
For use in UT games:
  1. Install MonsterSpawn and edit MonsterSpawn.ini to your preferences. Feel free to browse the EXU changelog or summons list to see what sounds like fun and add it to your MonsterSpawn.ini.
  2. Start a practice session and open the Mutators window. Load in whatever you fancy, but be sure to add MonsterSpawn; otherwise, no creatures will spawn.
  3. You can also mix and match mutators or use some of EXU's other mutators, such as the gun swapper that replaces UT weapons with EXU variants. If you do this, I recommend you also use EXU Health Charger so you stand a chance against bots and EXU creatures.
  4. Start the game. You should have waves of monsters spawning in according to your MonsterSpawn.ini settings. You can also scale their health and damage there.
For use in non-EXU SP games:
  1. Though it would more than likely make almost any SP map way too easy (or hard), you can play with EXU stuff in SP too using Oldskool's SP Mutators. Go to your Oldskool properties.
  2. On the Singleplayer tab, mash the SP Mutators button (mash it hard). Load whatever mutators you desire, but be aware of how fucked up the Sp maps will probably become as a result.
  3. Start a new game and select whichever map or map pack you want to play. The mutators you selected should be loaded and modify the gameplay--for better or for worse.

Uninstallation:
Just delete the files listed in the Files List. EXU shouldn't dump any crap in your UnrealTournament.ini or User.ini, but if it does, it is harmless.

[5] What the fuck is this shit
EXU, which stands for Excessive Unreal, is the broadest term possible that refers to this... thing I've created. EXU1, the original retarded romp through Unreal 1, features heavily modified levels full of fucked up creatures and scripted sequences, and the player is outfitted with the hilariously overpowered Excessive UT weapon arsenal, which is where the mod gets its name. EXU1 is fun in its own way, but is old and dusty compared to EXU2.

EXU2 is based on the same premises as EXU1--tons of insanity, overpowered guns, hordes of monsters, etc.--but with a, uh, higher quality level, for lack of a better phrase. All new weapons, HUNDREDS of new creatures, and extremely heavily modified Unreal maps are what EXU2: Batshit Insane has to offer.

That's another thing: EXU2 isn't just one thing anymore. It's both a single-player campaign (EXU2: Batshit Insane) AND a heavily customizable multiplayer-and-singleplayer-compatible creature, gun, health, and item mod. You can either play straight through the Batshit Insane campaign [demo], or you can load up a game of UT with MonsterSpawn and have all kinds of hilarity ensue with EXU2's monsters, weapons, and/or items. The included text files contain excruciating detail about how to set all of these things up; I recommend you take a look at them if you are confused.

[6] What's this crap about a story I thought EXU wasn't supposed to have one blarghharblargh
Yes. EXU2's story is indeed present, though it is still secondary in development to the gameplay and visual details. That's fine, though; you shouldn't expect to be spoon-fed a plot, anyway. But here's a little bit of background to get you started:

You died. Hit by a bus like a moron. You were a dumbass in life, and you continue to be a dumbass in death. Somehow, you wind up in the afterlife aboard a wreckage that happens to look a whole lot like the Vortex Rikers--but something's obviously wrong with it, because there are... things in it that weren't there before. No, I'm not talking about the Skaarj. The Skaarj aren't even in the first level. Seriously.

As you come to, you find out that you must have gone to hell, which is the only reasonable way to explain the fact that everything that moves now wants to kill you, because what kind of a craptastical heaven would it be if all the little angels wanted to shoot you? So you try to figure out just why the hell Hell is as fucked up as it is, and why you are strangely able to find ammunition and items to assist you.

Once you get outside, you see Hell in all its fiery, demonic glory. And oh boy is it full of nasty little critters that just want to ruin your afternoon--but will you let that happen? FUCK NO, you have some guns and shit! Time to... uh... well, fight your way out of Hell, I guess. What other choice do you have? What do you have to lose? And who are these allies down here with me, shooting at the demons with high-tech weaponry?

GOOD QUESTION!

There's actually quite a bit more to it than this, though, as you will discover in-game. Most of the story development picks up in the maps that I haven't yet made, though, so what you get in this demo is just a lead-in to the real situation at hand. And I don't think it's exactly what you expect it is, either.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy. I put a lot of work into these maps (even though it's taken forever to release them--I work on them intermittently at best), so I hope they are worthwhile. As always, let me know if you discover any bizarro bugs.
Last edited by Buff Skeleton on 10 Feb 2009, 03:16, edited 17 times in total.

User avatar GenMoKai
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 11:20

cool demo is out :) ill check out soon ;) when im back from work and party 8)

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 12:28

That's just insane :D awesome work. Found one bug in Mp3Player (in fact incompatibility with TCO's one. Will fix it today.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 12:31

Did you manage to find a place for those voices I made? :P
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 13:07

Teh bug is nailed :twisted:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 13:53

About damn time! :D
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 15:54

Beginning the game and I find the first bug. The lift which goes down to the torture room in Vortex activate a sound bug that force me to exit the game, otherwise my ears are ****ed.

I'm using FMOD by the way.
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 16:55

DONT USE FMOD. I used it as well during that map and it all becomes fuxed up.

What I recommend for this mod is to Install FMOD, but use Galaxy

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2008, 17:20

Thanks guys. I'll fix the mp3 player / FMOD issues tomorrow when I get back home.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 02:46

Cool, but I'm really not sure how far your gonna get with fixing those FMOD issues. I hope you do though, because personally I think FMOD is a very very unstable driver as of now. I still think the OldUnreal team should go back and bugtest that .dll much much more.

I'm having problems in U1 FMOD as well.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 03:06

Honestly, I don't even know why I included the FMOD .dll. I don't think it's necessary for the MP3 player; I just installed it on my machine a while ago to see if I could fix some retarded DirectSound issues in UT (it didn't work, but it didn't make them worse either). It's probably totally unnecessary for EXU.

When I get home tomorrow, I'm going to make sure all this junk works as it should and then upload a new demo package and a patch for anyone who downloaded the current one.

User avatar Raven

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 10:20

FMod.dll is used by Mp3Player :). No FMod.dll in the system directory, and Mp3Player simply will not work :P.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 18:55

OK, that explains the FMOD error I got when I forgot to include it at first (in my test). I'll go ahead and get that EXU2BI.u fix uploaded soon.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 18:59

EXU tends to leave me slightly speechless. Would anybody else within the forum staff like to post news about this demo release? :P
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2008, 19:30

Patch uploaded. I hope this fixes the problem, Raven!

Next