This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[RELEASED] Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] Illhaven Remastered and Expanded by Kew

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012, 15:42

Bit of a bummer to hear that but I hope those new maps get used for something.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012, 16:44

Wow the decision felt like came all of a sudden :|
Oh well. How many times I thought about something similar before releasing my stuff, however changing the idea quickly after.

Honestly I don't know if keeping being stuck in the Illhaven world is a good thing. The desert maps have a very different theme than what is seen in the pack. Illhaven was always known for being medieval, dark and gloomy, plus I don't think the 2012 release needs any new expansion. Escaping from the prison works nicely as an ending.
Desert theme is a big change of feel. I'd suggest starting a new pack instead of not using the new levels ever again, if you are ever going to continue mapping.
ImageImage

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012, 16:45

I want those desert maps. :(

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012, 05:44

Ok, so I've decided to start playing through Illhaven 2012, and have reached level 2. However, I am at a complete loss as to why there is a hub that lets you select the level. Aren't they supposed to be played in order? Why does it let me choose which map to play? It seems to me that all continuity in the story is broken with the addition of the hub. This makes Illhaven seem more like a compilation of maps that aren't connected, rather than a single adventure containing interconnected maps. The hub should only exist in a gametype like coop or multiplayer, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I've completely missed something here?

Also, I noticed the order is all messed up. It goes from map 1 to map 3 if you read the books clockwise in the hub.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012, 03:27

Ok, I am really confused. The map labeled "Illhaven 4 The Black Raven Inn" was originally map 3 in the first Illhaven Saga. I'm gessing this map should be played after "Illhaven 2 Old town", since you exit the map at the entrance of Black Raven Inn. If I follow the numerical order and go from "Illhaven 2 Old Town" to "Illhaven 3 Chateau D' Ill", the story makes no sense. So, WHICH order am I supposed to play this in? 1, 3, 2, 4?

I was enjoying playing this, but the hub has ruined my submersion into the pack. I will wait for a response on what the proper order is of playing these maps before I go any further. The hub should not have been included.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012, 18:07

I'd personally rather play this without the hub as well....threw me off quite a bit...loved the new jail/prison map though...classic
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 08:45

I hope all that new content gets released. A lot of mappage would be going to waste otherwise
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 18:05

Lightning Hunter wrote:So, WHICH order am I supposed to play this in? 1, 3, 2, 4?

Map 3 is really hard to place in the progression as all the other levels smoothly follow on from each other (so there's no problems past this level), while 3 is a completely unrelated side adventure.

Since the second half of the level is essentially a repeat of the first half of Illhaven map 1 it actually probably works best if you imagine it as a sort of prologue, and pretend it cuts to Illhaven map 1 once you get on the boat.
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 19:16

Mman wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:So, WHICH order am I supposed to play this in? 1, 3, 2, 4?

Map 3 is really hard to place in the progression as all the other levels smoothly follow on from each other (so there's no problems past this level), while 3 is a completely unrelated side adventure.

Since the second half of the level is essentially a repeat of the first half of Illhaven map 1 it actually probably works best if you imagine it as a sort of prologue, and pretend it cuts to Illhaven map 1 once you get on the boat.

Yeah, this is about what I gathered also. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of map 3. The exterior of the prison looks nice, but the interior leaves a lot to be desired. Since Illhaven itself is a cut of map 1, it is mostly a repeat. I guess it doesn't really matter what order I play map 3. I am enjoying the original Illhaven maps as usual, although it's been so long that I'm not sure what has been remastered and what hasn't. The maps look great, nonetheless.

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012, 23:29

The Hub is definally an odd addition to a pack like Illhaven. Maybe Kew wanted to give people a way to play the new maps without having to play the old ones. At least it gives you a chance to grab a few free health packs. There's actually an odd quirk here, whenever you return to the hub the health packs reappear. Too bad Epic never made it possible for levels to be persistent (so they remain as you left them if you come back to them).
StalwartUK

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 03:32

I just realized that all the torch flames are messed up in Illhaven_108 (Hall of Giants). I'm not sure if all the maps are like this or not, but I did notice a few other torches without flames in other maps, too. This is a huge glaring error. There are basically no light sources in some areas. In the case of Illhaven_108, I saw no torch flames at all... I also managed to get stuck in the starting room in Hall of Giants when I went back for ammo. The door randomly closed behind me when I re-entered. I could not reopen it. I'm trying to enjoy this release of Illhaven, but It's difficult whenever there are bugs like this. The addition of the hub and confusing map order doesn't help. I keep thinking that maybe I should stop playing and wait for a patch.

Edit: I'm also stuck in Hall of Giants. How do I open the door in the screenshot below?

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 06:26

gah kew has disappeared again :S Kinda annoying. Those sceenies are such teasers. I hope he continues working on them
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 07:40

I do recall a secret door near the big wooden door on the right, but I don't remember how it opens, though. I think I got stuck here as well.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012, 12:09

Yeah there are secret doors on the walls of that corridor.
ImageImage

Maverick
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 20:33

Hello Kew! Glad to see you're still active and mapping. Your mappack has inspired a lot of my map designs (though many still unreleased). I will say nali'Pente was a favorite of mine as well.

Previous Next