A random sentence for a random mind.

Wolfenstein 3D style map

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar BuddhaMaster
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Wolfenstein 3D style map

Post Posted: 13 May 2012, 07:35

Another map, in the style of Wolfenstein 3D.

It's got customized light skaarj soldier representing SS soldiers.
Blue Doors and fake treasure areas.

There is a big Duke Nukem 3D styled secret arena, based on Dark Side, leading to an even further water-temple.

The rest is relatively close to Wolfenstein 3D, including wood panel, blue rock and emerald doors with matching sounds and Some twists

*Final Version now uploaded*
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21728371/WOLFENSTEIN_M1_.unr
mirror:
Last edited by BuddhaMaster on 20 May 2012, 07:19, edited 14 times in total.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Wolfenstein 3D style map

Post Posted: 13 May 2012, 08:46

KEEN

will play when I've got time
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 05:33

Added a little exit-sign to the map.
*Download updated*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Just to let you know where the exit is
Last edited by BuddhaMaster on 15 May 2012, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 05:36

It's really cool you're making these; I haven't seen anything like them for Unreal. The textures and lighting are kinda all over the place, but given the strict commitment to an old style and (I imagine) greater focus on gameplay, it gets a pass.

I'll have to check this out pretty soon!

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 05:45

I don't remake anything. It's just a map inspired by Wolfenstein, means having a strict 2.5d map layout.

It was pretty hard to find appropriate texture to use as default blue walls and emerald/turquoise doors from standard Unreal stock textures

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 07:03

There are definitely a few other wolf3d /doom level remakes for unreal already. plus there was dkdw for unreal as well that was wolf-like.

But this is pretty cool mainly due to the fact that you used only unreal assets. It obviously not a remake , but certinly has the feel of wolf3d. It amazing what can be done without anything custom , I am a bit of a wolf3d fan and the doors , artwork , pillars cages , vines ,banners , and golden bandages as treasure really brought it together.

bug To note is that the skar player cant get to the arena or the small tunnels since there not big enogh.

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 15 May 2012, 08:17

I really liked the idea of "3D art" on the walls (pictures).

You don't have to visit the arena, is this supposed to be? An invisible BSP error stopped me from proceeding on my way to the arena (underwater). After the arena, the way was too narrow to get to the teleporter (the other underwater part). And there is a staircase near the finish, that I couldn't use.

DUNNO, if you have tested the map with another Unreal version, e.g. UT99 decreases your collision height when crawling, Unreal not. I played it on Unreal227.

edit: On one point, you can find ammo for stinger, ASMD and razorjack, but I don't think those weapons are around.

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 16 May 2012, 21:14

So I pulled this map up in UT and took a look at it. Before even playing I ran into a couple issues.

1) I popped into SP the old fashioned way, just by doubleclicking the map. Regrettably the map has only one spawn point for players and as I had bots setup, they kept respawning and killing me and them repeatedly telefrag-style.

2) The textures on the monsters are a little odd. Skaarj specifically are all wearing the lesser brute skin.

I may tinker with this map a bit. At the very least re-skin the Skaarj.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 16 May 2012, 21:18

evilgrins wrote:So I pulled this map up in UT and took a look at it. Before even playing I ran into a couple issues.

1) I popped into SP the old fashioned way, just by doubleclicking the map. Regrettably the map has only one spawn point for players and as I had bots setup, they kept respawning and killing me and them repeatedly telefrag-style.

2) The textures on the monsters are a little odd. Skaarj specifically are all wearing the lesser brute skin.

I may tinker with this map a bit. At the very least re-skin the Skaarj.

I'm sure that it's not the first time you would run into issues then if you just double click the map to play it SP style in a MP environment. That's also why there is oldskool. Are you still having issues with the skins n stuff when you run it through that?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 17 May 2012, 00:10

evilgrins wrote:1) I popped into SP the old fashioned way, just by doubleclicking the map. Regrettably the map has only one spawn point for players and as I had bots setup, they kept respawning and killing me and them repeatedly telefrag-style.

Not sure I'd qualify that as an issue.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 17 May 2012, 23:24

Darkon wrote:I'm sure that it's not the first time you would run into issues then if you just double click the map to play it SP style in a MP environment. That's also why there is oldskool. Are you still having issues with the skins n stuff when you run it through that?

I have oldskool but I do not have a single Player gametype in my UT.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 18 May 2012, 00:24

UT99 has also Unreal's singleplayer gametype available, but it is not set as the standard. So for accessing this gametype by doubleclicking a map, the LevelInfo's DefaultGameType has to be set. You can also determine the gametype by typing into the console:
open nyleve?game=UnrealShare.SinglePlayer

You would have to spare decals and other nice things known from Oldskool. But sometimes it can be a useful alternative, because Oldskool replaces some actors (e.g. weapons), but don't adjust many non-default properties, i.e. some maps will not behave as they were meant. When you load a map in this gametype, you will also have simple load and save menus, but their slots are also used by Oldskool, so they can mess up Oldskool's entries.

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 01:37

<You don't have to visit the arena, is this supposed to be? An invisible BSP error stopped me from proceeding on my way to the arena (underwater). After the arena, the way was too narrow to get to the teleporter (the other underwater part). And there is a staircase near the finish, that I couldn't use.>

Yeah that Arena, including the even further Water-Temple, are purely secret areas which take at least half of the whole map scale. At the end you would simply teleport back to the beginning of the map. I love secrets. the real exit is in middle of the map, about half into it.

As for skin selection: I rather had a generic human like appearance (skin-tone) than a really matching skin, I couldn't find a proper blue SS soldier texture.

I actually had plans for further maps to join a short episode.
But laziness sneaked in somewhere and only time will tell.

*UPDATED*
The underwater passage is now fixed.
Also are all of the secret Arena passages and the map-exit.
(it simply teleports you back to entry.unr)
File updated

The map route is actually that easy [spoiler][spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 20 May 2012, 08:39

BuddhaMaster wrote:Yeah that Arena, including the even further Water-Temple, are purely secret areas which take at least half of the whole map scale. At the end you would simply teleport back to the beginning of the map. I love secrets. the real exit is in middle of the map, about half into it.

Well, I would only make such a big secret area in a stand-alone map, when it will help you to complete the rest of the map on higher difficulties, e.g. finding a weapon needed for some boss fight.

BuddhaMaster wrote:*UPDATED*
The underwater passage is now fixed.
Also are all of the secret Arena passages and the map-exit.

Indeed.

Still the *Temple of Vandora*-pool memory psychodelic effect was present (room before mercenary). I had a look into the editor. It is caused by a sheet-like subtractive brush floating in that room (which is also responsible for some other wrong BSP cuts around the map). In the case you want to get rid of it:

Select all brushes in the room (Ctrl + Alt + left Mouse in Top view)
Show Selected Actors only
Search this brush in the Side view and delete it
Show all actors
Rebuild