Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[RELEASED][u1][ut] The Triamid Ruins

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: [RELEASED][u1][ut] The Triamid Ruins

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:03

Developer: Turboman

Click on thumbnails to view full size
ImageImage
ImageImage
Click here to view more images

Synopsis: You are an archeologist, this is your first assignment beyond Earth, your objective is a distant moon where archeologists have found strange alien structures.
The map starts onboard a spaceship, after a nine month journey you finally arrive. You are dropped off on the planet and you have to find the archeologists you're supposed to work with... unfortunately there's nobody to be found, alive that is.

Features: Updated contest map from the Unrealsp.org 11th Anniversary mapping contest using stock unreal content only. Even features some funny awkward gameplay scripting with stock content (usually causing alot of bugs :P) Oh and it's 70% bigger than before. Original thread can be found Here

Latest News:
Over a year ago, there was this 10th anniversary mapping contest on USP, my submission: The Triamid Ruins, made it to first place, it was a map full of crazy ideas using stock content only, but i ran out of time and i butchered into a very small fraction of what i intended it to be.
I actually finished this version about a year ago, but it has been lying around on my laptop ever since. I figured after a few playthroughs it's more a less free of any major bugs and quite playable ;)

Notes: Requires Unreal version 227 to run properly, 226 and UT will work but might result in degraded performance, 224-225 will not work.
For those stuck in the map or running into glitches: [spoiler]- If you're in the hive and can't figure out what to do, shoot the blue orbs, i have NO IDEA why they turn friendly sometimes.
- When using the trams DONT start running around and hugging walls like crazy, unless you prefer swimming all the way back[/spoiler]
Links: Download Here
Or here
Last edited by Turboman on 24 Jan 2013, 20:54, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: [u1][ut] The Triamid Ruins

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:21

AWESOME

But holy shit get some other download mirrors ASAP! Mediafire / Gamefront / Filefactory / pretty much anything would be better than the hoops I had to jump through for this :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:26

Good time to open U227 again I guess

But this is amazing!
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:29

Okay added a mediafire link ;)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 00:10

Woohoo! Heaps keen to play this. Unfortunately I've gotta move between towns to get to my unreal install. Time to visit my parents! :lol:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 03:14

In the intro, is there a fourth item you have to get aside from the translator, scuba gear, and flashlight? I'm supposed to have 1 more to go, but I thought I found everything.

User avatar StalwartUK

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 04:20

Firestorm
StalwartUK

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 11:12

Teridax wrote:In the intro, is there a fourth item you have to get aside from the translator, scuba gear, and flashlight? I'm supposed to have 1 more to go, but I thought I found everything.

I'm an idiot, in a hurry i forgot to setup the counters properly... you're supposed to get 3 items THEN talk to the commander/pilot dude, unfortunately it counts the dude himself as well.

So basically after finding 3 items, just return to him, your quest will be completed and you can continue on.
another kind of bugger is that his radius is so small you practically have to stand on top of him before he starts talking to you.

StalwartUK wrote:Firestorm

If i understand you correctly, no this has nothing to do with firestorm in any way, its an improved re-release of my contest map.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 20:30

Nice that you have completed your map. I liked the new parts. I had to swim to the 3rd pyramide. Is there an underground path towards it?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 20:59

Best fucking use of decorations EVER
Also I can't believe you've managed to recreate the TRAMBALLS from The Dig in Unreal. Excellent map!

The only things left would have been a big scary sea snake and a big scary spider
ImageImage

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 21:35

One quick note is that if you happen to activate a bridge on one pyramid, if you step on the center platform on the opposite pyramid, the bridge is (apparently) deactivated permanently. Otherwise, I am indeed curious whether or not there is supposed to be a way to reach the third pyramid by any way other than swimming (I see another tram caller in the first pyramid's tram station), but I will proceed across anyway so I can see the upcoming wonders of this final location. Top-notch work, Turbo!
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 21:42

You're supposed to swim to the third pyramid. Before or after, you are forced to activate all the three lightbridges to complete the map.
ImageImage

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013, 23:12

Correct, the third pyramid requires you to swim across the ocean to reach it for the first time :)

I also messed up, one of the bridges is triggertoggle so it auto disables itself
also the center bridge becomes invisible, some misplacement problem on my part.

sounds like i need to do a bugfix patch after all :(
maybe i could fix the 224-225 issue as well, the amount of movers exceeds the maximum allowed iterations, thus crashing the game...

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 00:32

This is totally newsworthy stuff. Also, featured review should happen. Haven't yet replayed but I've got access to unreal again. From those shots it looks like you've fixed up the minor horizon issue I raised earlier. So pumped to play again
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013, 00:45

Played through. Most of my remarks about it from the contest apply, but now with more content and story. The new areas also kept up the trend of great use of default assets; I especially liked the twist on decayeds in the new parts. I also liked how it seemed to push the hardcore exploration aspect even more than the first version with pretty minor hints and tons of areas to explore (although the swimming between islands at the start felt like a bit much). The ASMD also felt like it was a bit overkill. Also a couple of spoiler-based issues:

[spoiler]I had to ghost out of the crashed ship in the second map as a door seems to get completely blocked off on the way out (I had various other BSP hangup issues, but that's the only one that outright stopped me). Also the Squid alien conversation needed broudcast text or some new system, because the current version is both easy to miss and a pain to read at high resolutions.[/spoiler]
Formerly Mman

Next