Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]+CSmapedit+DMFlora

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [U]Project Flora

Post Posted: 02 May 2013, 16:32

You mean another sheet?
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: Project Flora Epsiode 1 is OUT!

Post Posted: 03 May 2013, 21:59

Episode 1 finally released!

It consists of 3 maps featuring the outer sanctum!
Read through first post!

It includes the working PSX Quadshot, and the Minotaur as well!
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 03 May 2013, 23:27

Gonna try this tomorrow when I've got some spare time :)

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 07:17

Thanks!

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 13:10

OK, get ready for my verdict!
This will contain spoilers, so I'm gonna put this into a spoiler box :)

[spoiler]Your architecture was pretty good, you had an overall ruined and desolate feel to your maps. Your cave in map 1 looked a bit too square for my liking, but that just takes practise in terrain. (but you have shown that you can do better in the third map :) )
I also enjoyed how you made the player use their brain to get more critical items, such as the armour, though if you don't jump far enough it can cost you a lot in health. Also in map 2 I liked how you made the player have to use the barrel to get up higher. In map 3 a cool aspect was giving a hint through a translator message and a razorjack to kill the brutes around the corners.
On the texturing front I'd recommend scaling up the rock textures in map 1 so they don't look so obviously tiled, or add more plants onto the cave walls. Also, for future reference, I'd align terrain manually, as the align to x/y axis command can give you stretch marks (which I noticed in the cave). In map 3 there were some alcoves that had obviously been made in the 2d shape editor, that could have done with aligning. Other than that, there were no other problems, or texture misuses.
I was confused about the lighting in map 1, as it was fully lit, though I couldn't see any light sources. I would add a couple of torches on the gates etc. and light the rest with dark blue lights, to give it a dark, foreboding feel. The other two maps were better sourced, but I think a touch of colour wouldn't go amiss ;)
Combat was pretty tough, being thrown down a hole into the midst of three gasbags (my health went down to 64 by the time I'd touched bottom) but that was resolved with the provision of a rifle and enough ammo to take them down. If I hadn't picked up the armour in map 1, I probably wouldn't have survived through to map 3, as there was not a single bit of health in the second map. Even so, by map 3, I had to reload several times when I got to the titan part.
That finally brings us to story, we are not really told much of what's actually going on, just a couple of amusing messages from space marines and Nali.[/spoiler]
Overall, though, it was an enjoyable experience, and I look forward to where you take us next :)

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 13:47

Thanks Clark :D
Episode 2 is on the way!

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 14:24

Yeah, good job on this MMU. It's nice to see new stuff from someone with real potential. Don't be afraid of the criticism (you don't appear to be) because even though it can be tough to hear it will always come with someone offering help to teach you new skills or improve on what you can already do. Take advantage of that, some seriously talented people are always around and they don't mind to offer advice, especially when someone such as yourself is obviously doing all the right things to learn and grow. Good job.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 04 May 2013, 16:51

I don't know who said that...
"All this community needs are mappers"

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 May 2013, 22:42

Almost forgot to mention that I replayed Flora. Second map wasn't al that difficult but not dull at all. I liked how the "translocator" was introduced (no introduction - just pick something up and find out what that thing is for and how and when to use it). I was baffled and stuck on the lower level (where the gasbags were) and didn't know what to do when suddenly it dawned upon me that I had picked up something which might be of use. :tup:

Downloaded the new version (with 3 maps) and had a go.
First map no change. OK, still the same feeling that the Skaarj is never a threat so I suggest to create an opening somewhere so that he can follow you into the first area if the player chooses to run.
Second map: AWWW, what a pity - where's the translocator?? you removed a small puzzle which gave that map a special touch.
Third map: well ... I'm not very fond of it. First of all I don't think that Minotaur fits with the Unreal creatures (a problem is the lack of animation), and second: the Minotaur is never dangerous. Thirdly, nice touch with the Titan but... it's a trap with no way out (well, I didn't find any) and I guess everyone will feel the need to explore as much as possible so you're basically forcing everyone to die or else they can't see everything. (and killing the Titan before jumping into a pit with no exit is exactly exiting either).

So , I have to be harsh but I would give the set of 2 maps above average :tup: , but the set of 3 :tdown:

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 09 May 2013, 05:28

Thanks the advices!
I can use them when I'm doing Ep.2.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 11 May 2013, 03:42

Where can I get that minotaur?

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 11 May 2013, 09:56

Uhmmm...First, contact with Leo(T.C.K)[spoiler]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/member.php?u=53482[/spoiler]
The file itself is in your system directory and called PSXMinotaur.
If you want to use it just import it as an actor.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 [RELEASED]

Post Posted: 20 May 2013, 13:35

Episode 2 is out!

It contains jsut one map, but there are 3 others awaiting for release as Ep.3.
Grab it, and continue your save then!

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]

Post Posted: 25 May 2013, 21:34

Update 1.3.

Project Flora Episode 3 is out.
Read this before you start. Don't delete your last save even if this map begins with a new storyline.
watch the console or the infos, because there are a lots of triggers used as Monologes.
HAVE FUN AT ALL!

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]

Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013, 16:05

Moddb link added, Mapraider link is waiting for authorization.

Previous Next