Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]+CSmapedit+DMFlora

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]

Post Posted: 22 Sep 2013, 12:38

These maps are pretty basic but there's some nice stuff here. I liked the jumping puzzle in the first level that gives you some extra stuff and the element of surprise against your enemies. The oversized plant decorations work surprisingly well to make the place look overgrown and hide items and foes. 8) I also found the plant related messages intriguing, but that plotline seemed to vanish after a couple of maps.

Some problems I don't think have been mentioned yet:
- A lot of the maps are very short, and probably could have been rolled together.
- The teleporter at the end of map 2 is very small, so when I fell down the hole I missed it and went splat at the bottom, leading me to believe that wasn't the right way at first.
- Some areas were very dark, which I guess is a stylistic choice, but it made me miss the razorjack and have to fight the brutes in that confined space without it.
- Some of the logs didn't give any real information and consisted of just a couple of lines. These are not really necessary.
- What's with that speech bubble ice patch in level 4?
- Still can't work out if you're meant to be able to get the shield belt from the titan and escape or not.
- I was rather confused how flora4 tried to teleport me to flora5 when the next map is called E3L1. Are they meant to follow on to each other, or are they separate series that run in parallel?

But aside from these things I still had fun, and I can even see your mapping improving as these maps go on with the introduction of music and player 'thoughts'. Map 4 was my favourite of them all with the have collapsed arches looming over you. Looking forward to what you release in the future! :D

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013, 18:52

Thanks for your reply :tup:
I'll try.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Project Flora Epsiode 1 is OUT!

Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013, 11:05

Just played this. Only 7 months too late! :lol:

I must say that you gave me more than I was expecting. I was ready for some relatively shitty but entirely forgivable newbie mapping. But it turned out to be of a higher standard than that. The theme was cool (do I dare say "unique"?), especially in the first map and the whole thing was executed simply.

While it's awesome to see your skills as a mapper improve as the maps went on, what with you trying new things like thoughts and translator dialogue; I actually found the first three maps to be better than the next two. You were being a bit more experimental in the final two maps -and for that I applaud you - but your skills aren't quite refined yet which made the last two maps seem like an ambitious adventure that never actually goes anywhere. You seem to be better at producing core gameplay and implicit story telling, than you are at pulling off cutscenes, dialogue and translator messages. My recommendation (if you're still mapping), is to focus on refining your gameplay, before you start going in and introducing wild storylines, super-complex architecture etc. You've got hints of talent in that department so lets pry them out. You could also benefit from a bit of proof reading on all the text you've included to get your translator messages to a base level of quality.

On the subject of architecture, here's the best UnrealEd tutorial which I have ever read (this link is webarchived. If there's a missing page or crucial broken image or something and you can't read it, let me know and I'll upload a zip of the tutorial which I archived back in 2010. I've got a couple of others too :)):
http://web.archive.org/web/200504060959 ... apetut.htm
And on the subject of lighting:
http://www.unrealsp.org/community/level ... ing01.html
After reading those two tutorials I was finally able to make a map which didn't come across as "newbish". Reading those tuts and following along was like "ahh, so that's how it's done!". I remember feeling very excited, thinking of all the possibilities that had suddenly opened up. My maps no longer looked like shit (not that I've released much to show for it :lol:)

EDIT:
That web archive link is fucked. Have my collection of Mapping tutes instead (80 megs worth, but worth every meg):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0f59mursbld2 ... alTuts.zip
Just open the "shapetut.html" file and you'll be sweet
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013, 17:25

Thanks for your feedback!
Back then, I wasn't able to even make a Water/Lava zone or a simple trigger and I couldn't make a simple mover!
I had to make some simple, but unique architecture to make my maps "playable", to hide this missing elements.
:tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013, 21:42

Cut map:

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013, 21:53

Some intriguing things there. What caused this particular map to be cut?

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2013, 10:29

I couldn't continue it. :S

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013, 00:12

makemeunreal wrote:I couldn't continue it. :S

Does that mean that particular map couldn't be continued? Or is Project Flora finished?

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014, 00:26

Stay sharp ;)

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Mar 2014, 06:34

CSweapons MAPEDIT
mod by Gizzy.
► Show Spoiler

official thread:http:[url]//www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2120[/url]

Description: Play through the original campaign, but with CSweapons!+monsterspam.

EPISODE 1
Mirror#1 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/85jyk3mifpisqf0/project_flora_ep1_csweapons_edit.rar?dl=1&token_hash=AAGfgWOCV9Ggd8N8psp88Z5IjtjWO33RMqHnGWCL6yzoPw
Last edited by makemeunreal on 13 Jan 2015, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014, 22:31

DMFlora

Description: First DM map I made for the SP campaign!
The map is perfect for a tactical 1on1 match!
(No bot support yet)

Download #1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2td ... LE_XcLSx9Q

First post updated!

User avatar GamesHarder
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]+CSmapedit+DMFlora

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014, 21:18

Nasty map! I loved it. :D
Unreal Alpha & Beta picture collection:
https://mega.nz/folder/elQjRQbC#FoFU4B8rIVl4LQP90-VBIw

"The years go by, but the search never ends"

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [rtnp] Project Flora Episode 1 & 2 & 3 [RELEASED]+CSmapedit+DMFlora

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014, 21:26

Thanks for the feedback!

What's this?! :S ;) :tup:

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 13:04

Hi makemeunreal :)

So I finally got around to playing Project Flora's released episodes. I've been back home for a few weeks now but the computer I use here had issues and besides:
holidays = various fun things going on!

Here are my impressions:

► Show Spoiler

So there you go :) overall I applaud you for your first project, and Project Flora in its entirety provided me with over an hour of gaming time, which is cool :D thanks for your contributions, looking forward to whatever is coming next! (Liandri Tarydium Mines, perhaps? ;) )
Cheers!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014, 13:13

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it!
You know, I improved a lot since then. But I found something what will make everything change.
See the thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3476

Progress were made on Flora too btw.
Edit.
As I said. progress were made, but I am prety fucked up with this render SHIIIIIIIIIT.

The stuff you see here is Software Rendered. It looks different in new renders.

Previous Next