UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[227]Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: [227]Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016, 03:06

Thank you for the kind praise! I'm glad people are able to enjoy it despite all the problems it has.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016, 18:04

Despite this map being quite short, it sure has a lot of charm and creativity packed into it! After I completed it, I came here to read the comments and immediately went back in for another run to see the things I'd missed.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar Tarydax

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016, 18:48

This was a fun, innovative little map. As with 7 Bullets, I had some problems figuring stuff out at first because it did stuff that Unreal or RtNP never did, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017, 04:02

I just played this and thoroughly enjoyed it! I loved the steak cooking, cutscenes and especially the statue of a Krall riding a Nali cow lmao. Also I was not expecting that ending!

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017, 14:04

This deserves a formal review. Basically, the map is the only completed example of an Unreal level with firetrucks assets. More should come out of that.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021, 07:53

Ahoy sailors! Ready to go on a really boring space expedition on the galaxy's slowest cargo hauler... again? A victory lap around space sounds great doesn't it? Well fear not, for I have you all covered.
Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity ~Black Label~ was originally scheduled to arrive September 1st, 2021, but because the ship's captain switched the engines to "eco mode" again it will instead be arriving September 8th, 2021. What adventures possibly await? Well, something very much alike the old adventures, but you know, its got a black label. That means it is the fancy edition. Also so many bug fixes. And spellcheck. Get hyped. Or not. Up to you really.

Hey you, you're finally awa-ahem. Do you have some time over the next week and want to be a fearless tester and be immortalized within the map just like the other fearless testers were? Inquire within... *

*Safety not guaranteed.

User avatar Aspide
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021, 09:28

Sounds fantastic, I must admit I haven't tried this one yet, but now I will definitely give it more attention.

Oh and would love to be a playtester. I like a slice of adventure from time to time 8)
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021, 09:16

It all began when you were hanging about homeless on the streets of Wasteworld 7ad2.

A Job Posting on RNGCube, the Galaxy's Leading Spacefarer Recruitment(tm) reads:

Howdy there sailor! The Star Shoal is seeking talented ship operators like you to help crew this vessel and bring construction supplies to the outer frontier. Help build the galaxy! Minimum 5 year contract. No background check necessary!

This is your chance! No more living in the slums of Wasteworld 7ad2. You sign away your life without a second thought.

Looking back, you really should have had a second thought. Hindsight is 20/20 right?

The Star Shoal is old. She's pretty barren as far as the facilities go. Her computer could probably run on a potato or two. Worst of all? She is crewed by a bunch of insufferable jerks.

First there is your boss. He is a total cheapass and scrimps money anywhere he can, sometimes as the expense of safety or common sense. He insisted to leave a bunch of wiring exposed in the emergency teleporter room because a panel to cover it would "cost too much." Best not to go near it...

Then there is the drunkard. You've never seen him sober and he vomits everywhere.

Then there is the lady who talks to herself in the engine room sometimes. You don't try to speak to her ever.

Last is the jerkwad who administrates the systems and makes sure the ship's autopilot stays on course. You know, that ass who is always staring back at you in the mirror.

And now for the first time, you can experience it all for a *second* time! Introducing the new and greatly improved "Black Label" edition, with 500% more bug fixes, 100% more spell checking... and unfortunately 0% more steak. Can't win them all right?

Primary Mirror (generously provided by ividyon)
Alternate Mirror (generously provided by steadz)
Last edited by ebd on 08 Sep 2021, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021, 10:07

Wow!!
totally unexpected blast from the past.
To be honest, I had to read this topic through before it started to ring a bell (not much more than the charcoaled steak tough).
Looking forward to (re)playing this (unfortunately only in a month as I'm going south shortly - need the sun badly).

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021, 05:44

Wow, this map is like a combination of Unreal, Nali Chronicles and even some elements of Deus Ex. It is a very unique experience, i LOVE the new actors included in this map: new HUD, new crosshair, new money, dialog and cutscene system, and even new enemies. Also I like the music inside the ship, would be a good menu music. One thing that I appreciate a lot is difficulty filtering and I'm happy to report that this map has it, so I recommend to play this map in all difficulties. Since this map is 227 only, I was very pleased to see Emitters and StaticMeshActors.

Now I noticed some things that bothered me:

-At the beggining, you basicly have to wait a certain ammount of time to continue, unfourtanely this affects the replay value, because if you want to skip the beggining you just can't and you are force to wait.
-I found the decision to filter the Dispersion Pistol questionable, if you run out of ammo you have no choice but to restart the map.
-You can't go back to Vendor Willis (a Krall), especially when you need him.
-The tentacle doesn't have a carcass type, ????. I know that is to use the MeshEmitter, but I don't think it works.
-There is a water section that is completely empty, no reward for exploration.
-In Unreal difficulty there is an excessive amount of Skaarjs in one of the rooms.
-There is a glitch in the disc puzzle at the beginning of the map: if your crosshair is between the container on the left and the center, you can select them both, if both contain a disk, one of them will disappear.
-Close to the door of the first room, there is a teleporter that gives you inventory and takes you to a later part of the map, clearly this was created to test the map, but it wasn't removed.

Anyway, this map was an absolute blast to play, the potential of the new actors is huge.
Thanks, ebd. \o/ \o/
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021, 06:15

Aspide wrote:-There is a glitch in the disc puzzle at the beginning of the map: if your crosshair is between the container on the left and the center, you can select them both, if both contain a disk, one of them will disappear.
-Close to the door of the first room, there is a teleporter that gives you inventory and takes you to a later part of the map, clearly this was created to test the map, but it wasn't removed.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The choice to remove the dispersion pistol on normal/hard was a deliberate one but I see how it could be unpopular one. It's there on easy difficulty if people need it, and with the re-release I added extra ammo on hard difficulty. The teleporter at the start caught me by surprise actually, but sure enough it is there in the original 2015 release also: somehow missed by both myself and everyone who tested it... how embarrassing!

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021, 20:22

After playing this many times over (because I love this :lol: ) I have discovered another glitch:

-The invisible Skaarj that closes the door behind you can attack you if you shoot where he is before he closes the door, basically you are fighting an invisible and invincible enemy.

Also I've found out that steaks are good for your health... :)
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021, 13:32

It was every bit a delight as I remember it being. A very, very charming map!

^ I did notice that bug with the Skaarj as well.

I also couldn't figure out how to cook the steak even though I swear I did it in the original. Pressing the use button on the grill just displayed the message as if I didn't have a steak. Could I have broken the sequence by using one of the computer screens to switch difficulty?

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021, 19:37

I guess I should try and play Unreal again.. (it's been 16 years..) and check this one out...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Previous