Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[227]Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: [227]Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014, 22:46

Developer: ebd

Status: Released! Grab it at http://ebd.unrealsp.org/shoal/shoal_release.zip

Synopsis: You are working the bridge on this really, really boring space expedition. You mission is to haul some construction supplies halfway across the galaxy... a journey that takes the amazingly slow Star Shoal six years to complete. The captain probably should have opted for a faster vessel, but the Star Shoal was made by the lowest bidder so it fit best within his miserly budget. Joining you on your quest are your detestable crewmates. With only a few toys on board (which grew old quickly), the only way you've been able to stay sane so far is by consuming the steaks you've smuggled aboard (much better than the recycled mush), but even those are running out. You've been paid in full already, so if something happens as long as you survive you'd be out of this hell with a [very] small fortune. You've been doing drills to the teleporter room every day, but nothing has ever happened. You suspect nothing ever will happen. Seriously who names their ship "Star Shoal?"

Features: 1 new map featuring the best of firetrucks and trashbag. Also a custom musical selection that will surely please your ears. Also a sorta interesting narrative, if you are into that sort of thing. Originally intended for a dev time of 1-2 days, so scope is limited.

Latest News: Version 1.0.0 is out!

Links: http://ebd.unrealsp.org/firetrucks/ http://ebd.unrealsp.org/trashbag/
Last edited by ebd on 30 Dec 2015, 08:16, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [227]Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 01:53

FIRETRUCKS FOR THE WIN! \o/ I welcome tools that enhance story telling and immersion and that, while it may easily be called a pipe dream, Firetrucks may usher the appearance of more narrative-based maps - if not fuse themselves with arcadey ones already to make the absolute memorable experience that isn't readily available in many games today.

I guess I can't call it the traditional 'Unreal' experience that way but who still goes by the ancient definition?

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 03:19

Welp I'm sold

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014, 04:25

Keen! :w3h t00t:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014, 09:57

Some occurrences happened and I had less time and focus last week than I had planned. I hope the remainder of this week goes better! I actually have a lot more done than what I've shown but I don't want to give too much away.

Here is an art teaser, undecided if it will be packed into firetrucks v1.2 or on its own: (CHAIRitable_of_you.gif)
Yes it is a chair. What does it mean? Does it speak to you in the way only a work of fine art can? Is it just a place to rest your behind? I don't know much about art, but I know what I like, and I like chairs without arms. So I made a chair with no arms.

Expect to see a lot of these aboard the Star Shoal. Your penny pinching captain probably ordered them in bulk to save money. They'll be textured, obviously. You captain isn't that frugal.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014, 10:30

I like star foal, looking forward to this once I get 227 back
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014, 10:36

I'm curious, but also patient :wink:

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014, 10:48

ebd wrote:Image
Yes it is a chair. What does it mean? Does it speak to you in the way only a work of fine art can? Is it just a place to rest your behind? I don't know much about art, but I know what I like, and I like chairs without arms. So I made a chair with no arms.

Holy shit, that's my chair what I am sitting on right now...

Does it have one of those levers to make it go up and down? That would be fun ;)

Looking forward to this though - we seriously need Firetrucks maps, and who better to give them to us than the Firetrucks (Fireman? :P) Man himself.

SZ

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014, 01:43

Every essential feature of firetrucks version 1.2 has now been implemented and is on track for release this month as planned. There is still a lot of mapping to be done and I'm behind schedule.

Did you expect better from me? Too bad! Excluding large scale collaborations, I've released one map in the map in the past seven years. You'll have to be patient for your chance to live out the thrilling life of a crew member aboard the Star Shoal, though maybe not too patient. It might still be ready by May 1st, 2014. Will I deliver? Or just disappoint again?

Hopefully you spend your meager galactic minimum wage paycheck better than your poor crewmate did. The headache he'll have in about 12 hours just might be able to cleave the sun in two.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014, 22:40

Further to the impending release of firetrucks version 1.2... I sure am looking forward to playing Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity! I like the way you present it (good writing style), and the limited scope isn't a problem.

By the way, I still remember playing through The Oll Stone Prologue: The Ibyn Complex, and like others, I hope to see a continuation :D

Good luck with it all :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 07:54

You twiddle your thumbs again. Was there some kind of mistake? Surely. The Star Shoal is a slow vessel, but this is outrageous. It has already been 366 days and no signs of ANYTHING that might break up the monotony. While pacing about you find yourself in the engine room and decide to run diagnostics on the engines, just to pass the time.

Engine #1 looks good. Load at 78% percent. It emits a nice hum.

Engine #2 seems to be in stellar condition. Too stellar. Load is at 0%. Functionality tests don't report any problems, so someone must have powered it down manually. You wonder if it was your boss tying to save fuel. You power it on and return to the bridge to adjust the throttle. From your bridge controls, you smile with satisfaction as the screen indicates that the ship is accelerating at a faster rate than before.

After a while the rate of acceleration drops again. What?

And sure enough, you find the second engine powered off with no signs of damage.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015, 18:44

Ah, excellent! we have movement here again :D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2015, 02:54

A Job Posting on RNGCube, the Galaxy's Leading Spacefarer Recruitment Platform™ wrote:Howdy there sailor! The Star Shoal is seeking talented ship operators like you help crew this vessel and bring construction supplies to the outer frontier. Help build the galaxy! Minimum 5 year contract. No background check necessary!

At last an image banner! I should probably edit an earlier post in the thread or something... This thing is going to be released this year whether it is ready or not. Let's hope for the sake of my honor that it is ready.

User avatar ebd

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015, 23:02

With the release of the project less than a month away I require a difficulty tester, especially at the Unreal difficulty.

While the level is playable from start to finish at this point with all the major features in place there is still a lot of polish and detail to be added. A brave volunteer interested in ruining the Star Shoal Chronicles: Episode Infinity experience for themselves should PM me.

Said volunteer will have a statue in their honor placed within the level.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015, 01:39

I'd be happy to test it.

Next