Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[u1] Aftermath

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: [u1] Aftermath

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014, 22:07

Developer: makemeunreal
Progress: WIP
Estimated release date: Soon :P

Synopsis:
You play as one of the prisoners the Vortex Rikers were supposed to travel to the prison moon.
By good fortune, or not the ship crash landed on a planet. Your mission is to escape with your cellmate on your side!(UnrealBuddySystem)

MAP 1: Battle at Nyleve's Falls

Click to zoom!

2014/06/17 RELEASED
Download link #1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mg0f9leoqbvgnn/battle_at_nyleves_falls.rar

You have to get the newest UBS mod from here:
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3316

Bonus stuff+1 easter egg in da map! be the first to find it!

MAP 2: Path of the Rabbit
Last edited by makemeunreal on 17 Jun 2014, 18:38, edited 8 times in total.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [U] Aftermath

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014, 22:10

So many projects!!! Hope you can keep your focus man!
That said, this new project could be very interesting... a new NyLeve's Falls redux!! :D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: [U] Aftermath

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014, 22:14

This will be a retelling. The protagonist(s) are prisoners just like P.849. But he woke up a bit earlier. Man, this will be so amazing if I manage to do it.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [u1] Aftermath

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 00:27

makemeunreal wrote:...
Man, this will be so amazing if I manage to do it.

Deja vu?
Why so many projects?
Notwithstanding the fact that they all look interesting, I can't help but think : "another projected would be".
How about working on (and finishing) one project at a time? As I mentioned before, stuff you learned in project A can be put to use in Project B in which you can then tackle new issues. The way I see it now is that each of your simultaneous projects are halted without any sign of having achieved anything. Add to that the fact that you can't get any input/help/tips from experienced mappers when nothing is produced.

I can't even understand why you state that project Flora was a mistake - to me it seemed that project Flora was an excellent start and a perfect opportunity to build on (which you did for 4 or 5 maps). Project 365 (which became 52 and then 12) was the real mistake.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 00:42

8 project threads on the 1st page of the first forum page alone. Are you yanking my chain? I hope you don't have any delusions about actually finishing a single one of those... :shake:

The release dates on your prior projects have always been "in a few weeks", and nothing ever came of them with the exception of Project Flora. I will be locking any future project threads you open unless they contain finished releases; right now they're nothing more but pointless clutter.

If every community member opened threads for every unfinished map/room they produced like you do, we wouldn't have the bandwidth to support it. I hope you'll come to understand.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 01:29

I can't remember any project that was ever finished when a mapper was also working on another project at the same time, let alone 8.

It wouldn't be a big deal if you just cancelled what you're not going to finish. At least work on one project until it's done.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 14:42

ividyon wrote:8
If every community member opened threads for every unfinished map/room they produced like you do, we wouldn't have the bandwidth to support it. I hope you'll come to understand.

This.

I do like the premise of this though and had thought of doing it a while back, having a different prisoner watch 849 escape, then wake up and go a different route, that kind of thing.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 16:57

Doublez-Down wrote:...
I do like the premise of this though and had thought of doing it a while back, having a different prisoner watch 849 escape, then wake up and go a different route, that kind of thing.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the idea, nor with trying to work out ideas. But makemeunreal has fallen into the trap of trying to do too many different things at the same time.
I'll qoute him from another post some time ago : No effect without cause. At the time I didn't want to upset anybody needlessly but now I'll quote a universal law : No action without reaction.
makemeunreal is still in a learning proces when it comes to mapping but doesn't follow the usual (and fruitful) learning path and probably runs head-on into the various walls which everybody meets. The more roads one takes, the more walls one encounters. Some walls just can't be climbed immediately and should be steered clear of while focusing on a reachable destination.

My advice (and stimulation) for makemeunreal is to pick up one of the projects and stick with that, modifying (meaning cutting when necessary or expanding when possible), working out an idea and instead of quiting when thing go bad : ask for help: learn from others who have encountered numerous setbacks but have since learned to identify what is feasible and what isn't.

The last thing I wan't to do is to demoralise makemeunreal. Project Flora showed he has the Unreal virus firmly embedded in him. Now is the time to control the virus and not to let it take over.

For clarity's sake: noone will scold on makemeunreal if he produces something which doesn't meet the standards we measure by. There's no shame in not being able to produce a 7B, Xidia, Xenome (or even ONP). But there no sympathy when each and every project is completely misplanned (timewise for example) and abandoned.

So: @ makemeunreal: do yourself a favour and choose one (1) project with which you feel happy, which will test your mapping skills (but not too much) and which can be finished in approximately 6 to 8 weeks (and if it takes a week extra, no problem). You'll learn from it and get lots of useful feedback.
Nuff' said and peace brother.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 22:43

Please. Don't do this. What if i can't control it?
Next time, I won't announce my sheet, and spam the forum.

As for this ONP,7B stuff... It's quite humiliating that you compared my noobish sheet to those big projects, and giving voice to it twice.
I am doing this for fun. I am a bit fast tempered, but not a stupid sheet as you may think.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014, 23:05

I don't think the comparison was meant to be offensive, it was meant to show you that your work doesn't have to be as ambitious as projects that took a lot of people and time to create. Nobody is calling you stupid, either. You're just announcing on too many things at once.

From that UT2004 mod you said you were working on that let you ride cows to that Strider Wars pack, you've posted too many projects that have never gone past the ideas stage. Not being able to finish something is fine, but announcing a bunch of projects, cancelling them, un-cancelling them, and then posting more projects doesn't inspire much confidence.

People are a lot more impressed by actual releases (regardless of the quality) than the promise of an eventual release. Nobody would be upset if you released your smaller projects like Lost in the Sky and Liandri Tarydium Mines and Deck16 before announcing this.

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014, 09:07

I think you can start one thread for all your ongoing ideas. Name it 'makemeunreal's WIPs' or something. That won't overflood main forum with new threads, and you'll still have your very own place to share things you create.

Doing so will help people to discuss you work and progress in one place. Because now, when you are announcing something new, the main question which appears in my mind is not 'wow when we'll see the updates' but 'hey what's happened with previous project, i was interested in it!' If everything happens in one thread, it'll be convenient and appropriate to ask such questions there, too.
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014, 21:14

diamond wrote:I think you can start one thread for all your ongoing ideas. Name it 'makemeunreal's WIPs' or something. That won't overflood main forum with new threads, and you'll still have your very own place to share things you create.

I may end up shoving all his releases into the same thread just like with GamesHarder's maps.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014, 21:48

No, please not. Trust me. Delacroix wil lhelp me with the story, so the progress will be faster than it is.
I won't forget any of the maps.

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 18:24

Yep! Confirming that - I *am* helping MakeMeUnreal with the storyline question. He specifically requested my services as a storyteller and here I am. Our current focus is Lost in the Sky, but I have provided some stuff for Liandri Tarydium Mines as well.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 23:19

Great to hear this! :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Next