Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[u1] Aftermath

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [u1] Aftermath

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2014, 13:32

Community <3

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 18:32

FIRST POST UPDATED THOUGH!

MAP 1: Battle at Nyleve's Falls

Click to zoom!

2014/06/17 RELEASED
Download link #1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mg0f9leoqbvgnn/battle_at_nyleves_falls.rar

You have to get the newest UBS mod from here:
http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3316

Bonus stuff+1 easter egg in da map! be the first to find it!
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 21:22

YES, a new release! \o/ and I've already played it! here's my take on it:-

[spoiler]First of all, Battle at Nyleve's Falls is probably gonna benefit a lot from the love for the original Nyleve's Falls: you'll find the entire original topography here, the twist comes from gameplay changes and of course the change from a daytime setting to a nighttime setting (maybe there was some inspiration from DavidM's redux here). The story is, well, more or less the same as the original, with less exposition (but that's OK, the aim isn't exactly to relive what we have already experienced). I liked how makemeunreal kept some of the original translator messages while also adding new ones. What's fresh is a stronger opposition and... the use of the Unreal Buddy System, by [UDHQ]Jackrabbit. Well, I liked it! This was the first time I was playing with this mod, and your buddy is really helpful, in my case my partner was female and I quickly figured she was a professional sharpshooter! Especially in the dark, it was quite impressive how she could spot a hidden tentacle several dozens of yards from where we were standing :wink: the buddy is capable of following you everywhere, though sometimes you have to "encourage" it of course. I'll give praise to the non-invasive "teleport" feature, which I'm pretty sure kicked in once but I didn't actually "see" my partner pop in my field of view (this was after a trip in the river at the bottom of the falls). My buddy never died although towards the beginning there was a close call with 2 Behemoths (and after that encounter I was also low on health); generally speaking, for any average player who has finished the mothergame at least once and still plays on and off, I'd say the difficulty on medium was, well, medium. You have to watch out early on, for yourself and your buddy (who will also watch out for you, seriously), but towards the end it gets easy as the opposition doesn't match the accumulation of ammo, health and armor. (BTW: my buddy could go beyond 100 HP!) I'm afraid the EE might have been lost on me: I've been quite thorough, though, so maybe it has to do with the message left by the Skaarj you kill next to his fighter craft? (makemeunreal, confirm this by PM!) EDIT: oh f*** it might rather have to do with that message addressed to Prisoner 849!! EDIT2: one technical glitch, at least with UT: the bridge above the river has part of its floor invisible.[/spoiler]
In any case, I had a lot of fun revisiting Nyleve, I think this is a great revisit and hopefully we'll see a continuation (Path of the Rabbit!) :)
Cheers makemeunreal, thanks for your work!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 21:39

Thanks for your feedback!
Did you find the hidden stuff? :P
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 21:54

Check your inbox, I don't want to spoil it for the others ;)
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 23:08

"Ancient lore speaks of a hidden valley, the Path of the Rabbit. According to ancient books, written thousands of years ago, Chizra himself brought life into the frigid valley as he fell asleep between the thorns.
The next morning, he saw animals and plants overrunning the place. Chizra made a deal with the animals and plants. He let them live and gave them the power to live forever... in exchange for their happiness."

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014, 23:21

:tup: looking forward to it! :D

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014, 04:37

Congrats on your (first?) map release! Its cool to see UBS showcased in this release and after my first play through it seemed to work just fine with the map aside some unnecessary teleportation I may or may not try to fix in my mod for the future. It doesn't really bother me a whole lot personally so its really up to public demand there.

I thought the map was generally well thought out and I especially enjoyed the scout ship placement and it honestly made me want to hop in and fly all over Na Pali!

[spoiler]The references to 849 and added security 8 hours after the vortex rikers was a nice touch as well. I wonder what other paths your prisoner(s) might cross with 849...[/spoiler]

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014, 12:09

First of all, congratulations to makemeunreal for finishing and releasing this map. :tup:

Downloaded this morning and played immediately. Unfortunately (for me) my expectations weren't met, possibly caused by my installation or settings (I don't know).
For one, I read it's supposed to be a night setting but on my system it was only slightly darker than normal (while other maps can be really dark).
Next, my buddy kind of starts exploring by herself thus becoming visible to the Behemoths too early and I had to go and save her (just in time, barely). So, I decided to leave my buddy behind and clear the path so as not to add an unnecesarry difficulty (since I'm supposed to reach the end with my buddy alive I suppose). BTW I played on Medium and never found the need to use my buddy. The extra enemies didn't really add much difficulty (and I used the DP only. Next time I'll play on Unreal difficulty.

The new (extra) translator messages do provide a new story/feeling but I'm confused as to whether the current events take place before or after 849's passage. Isn't it supposed to be after 849 had already left the area completely disinfected (yes, there can be new enemies but not the ones he killed before). (Whichever way, before or after, in order to avoid this, pre-existing enemies should be moved or changed).

BTW, makemeunreal, in the readme.txt, it is mentioned MOD : yes, however; those who haven't read this topic have no idea which mod so you might want to add some more info as to which mod//mutator and how to start the map (on U227i, I installed UBS, used the add mutator menu and then open battle_at_nyleves_falls).

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014, 12:55

Troubleshooting
-I haven't tested it with UT, but worked well with my 227!
-For the best result use Software rendering.
-Be sure to enable DynamicLights.
-Use the newest version of UBS.
-Have fun!

The scenario takes place before 849. You can be sure by reading through all the trans. messages :tup:

Thanks for all your feedback guys!

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014, 10:40

Just plaied it. I really like this map! It,s very beautifull. Waiting for the continue. ;) And I think, that it's really good idea to cross some paths with 849.

User avatar UberPwnr
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014, 06:48

Finally got around to playing this and I enjoyed it for the most part. I have never seen the Unreal buddy system mod so that was a nice addition. I find the whole idea of "what if there was another escaped prisoner aside from 849 that took a different route" overall I like the concept behind this and hope to see more in the future. also I found the easter egg after finishing the map. its very noticeable if you have sharp eyes.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 17:47

makemeunreal wrote:Troubleshooting
-For the best result use Software rendering.
-Be sure to enable DynamicLights.

Thanks, I'll try that (BTW, UBS was the latest version, freshly downloaded).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014, 17:15

DynamicsLights = enabled default
Software rendering seriously decreased visual quality and made it dark and reddish which is OK except for the blurred view (lack of sharpness) which I can live with, but I experience some lagging which spoils the fun.
Again my buddy (once male, the second try female) wasn't much of a help and died quickly the first time. The second time I told her to stay put and cleared half the level alone, summoned her near the area with the Manta and godded her just in time.
Comparing to my first playthrough (on Medium) I didn't find Unreal difficulty much more difficult - I didn't see any extra enemies, they did seem faster, and I had the impression they took more damage before falling. Is the difficulty level the default Unreal system (since I used ?difficulty=4 with 227i this probably doesn't correspond to U226 UNreal difficulty)?

Question: are you supposed to reach the exit with your buddy alive?

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015, 12:40

I didn't experience any problem with Joska(buddy).
Thanks for all the feedback guys. :tup:

Previous Next