Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: ividyon, Semfry, zYnthetic

Is this mappack worthy to be completely done?

Yes, abosolutely.
30
91%
Yes.
3
9%
No.
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 33

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

Subject: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014, 03:03

Greetings Everyone!

A few years ago, I started to create an Unreal single player campaign, and I had to stop with it, because a lot of things had changed. Now, I would like to present to every uneal-lover my project; Unreal Acrid.

Unfortunaltely, I cannot remember what Acrid means, and not even the story, but I would like to ask you to tell me your opinions about I have done already.

The mappack actually had an intro done with camera (player flyby) around, with some action, an Unreal main map (Unreal Na Pali Castle style), two playable maps completely, and a half.
The maps on pictures still has not made with traditional Unreal 1 terrain, but the new type of sky is able to see on the third picture.

Now, I would like to show a few screenshots (Hires, with hires textures, on 1920x1080 resolution);

Two shots from the map called 'UA_SSBase2'



One from the map called 'UA_RockForts'


Any opinion? All comments are welcome.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 861
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 22:25

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014, 04:47

Yes, I think what you have looks good! Did you make the map with the HD textures, or did you just use the HD textures for the screenshots? I'm just wondering, because I think making maps with HD textures first can cause problems.

Anyway, I would love to see this be completed. :tup:

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014, 18:13

AlCapowned wrote:Did you make the map with the HD textures, or did you just use the HD textures for the screenshots?


No, I originally started to create these maps without HD textures, and when I found the HD text pack on the net, i just upgraded my Unreal game. I never experienced any problems on my maps coused by the HD textures.

Thanks for positive feedback! :tup:

User avatar BoneofFear
Pupae Pupae
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Mar 2014, 20:28
Location: East Flaberjack.Jersey New

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014, 18:45

I too would love to see this completed.
CHOCOLATE DROP!

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned
Posts: 1269
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 09:20

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014, 20:56

That's insane. Keep it happening Pla. :tup:
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 May 2013, 09:54

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 03:25

Pla wrote:No, I originally started to create these maps without HD textures, and when I found the HD text pack on the net, i just upgraded my Unreal game. I never experienced any problems on my maps coused by the HD textures.


I may be mistaken, but on your own machine, using the HD textures for mapping isn't an issue, but when and if you want to share the map or play online, then things get hairy. There are a number of clear warnings not to use the HD textures for mapping from their creators.

Anyhow, the screenies look great for sure. Well done.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1700
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 17:39

Hi Pla
Acrid means: pungent/sharp/stinging (more applicable to smell than to taste - in the latter case bitter would describe the sense)
I suspect that acrid (as a name for a mappack) was chosen for the gameplay you intended (harsh or corrosive, perhaps unforgiving) (as in the tone in which one can speak).
Hope this rings a bell 'cause without any memories of the story you'll need to think up a new one to set up a development plan.

The screenshots look nice and I'm curious as to the transition between the modern looking inside area and the vast outside area (especially the bottom pic : strange blue door-like structure which seems to provide an entrance into what?

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 19:27

salsaSkaarj wrote:Hi Pla
Acrid means: pungent/sharp/stinging (more applicable to smell than to taste - in the latter case bitter would describe the sense)
I suspect that acrid (as a name for a mappack) was chosen for the gameplay you intended (harsh or corrosive, perhaps unforgiving) (as in the tone in which one can speak).
Hope this rings a bell 'cause without any memories of the story you'll need to think up a new one to set up a development plan.

The screenshots look nice and I'm curious as to the transition between the modern looking inside area and the vast outside area (especially the bottom pic : strange blue door-like structure which seems to provide an entrance into what?


Well, I take it easier. :) Seriously, A long time ago, when I started to create these maps, I did not really care all these things. How I meant Acrid? I don't know. I just wanted to create a traditional unreal style mappack, for more unreal experience, that's all.

But, to highlight why I shared these pictures: It's actually not 100% sure, I will ever continue this mappack. I only shared, to ask you guys about your opinion. if I get enough positive feedback, probably I will continue making it, and probably finish it.

ui.: That blue door-like entrance is actually just a small cave you coming trough (see the new pic I incuded to this comment), to that area where that third shot was taken. Where does it lead to? I'm not telling right now. :)

Image

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 19:35

Carbon wrote:I may be mistaken, but on your own machine, using the HD textures for mapping isn't an issue, but when and if you want to share the map or play online, then things get hairy. There are a number of clear warnings not to use the HD textures for mapping from their creators.


I'm not using textures what is not included in the basic, original Unreal Game. HighRes textures only used to play, and make screenshots. If I finish and share this mappack, high res textures will not be included, and even just not necessary for my maps.

Themisto
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 24
Joined: 02 Jan 2013, 14:46

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 21:10

Pretty cool loking interiors! but that outdoor are is too flat on all fronts.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1700
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014, 22:58

Oversight!!

It seems I forgot to mention that the screenshots look more than good enough to warrant a continuation :tup: You've certainly gotten my attention. :)

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 68
Joined: 02 Aug 2012, 07:38

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014, 03:47

Pla, you seem like you have a real knack at mixing different flavors of texture sets in those indoor areas. I'm seeing textures from Skaarj, Mine and DecayedS package and as much as mixing texture packages together can go wrong, your screenshots still seem nice and have a sense of "place" to them.

To be completely honest with you, since you can't really remember where the name came from or why you started it but never finished, you might be better off just releasing what you have alpha to the public just to give you feedback and ideas for things like story, gameplay and difficulty and general critiques on your geometry and lighting capabilities thus far. I think the more suggestions (and dare I say help) you receive from the community here, it might just get you a position on a current mapping team or lead to an entirely new individual SP project that could mean alot more to you personally. Just a suggestion and if instead you decide to finish this one off any call it a day, I understand your POV.

A First critique of one of the screenshots you have already provided:

Generally speaking the geometry lends itself nicely in this screenshot. I think a bit more geometrical variation on the floor to help the skaarj panels and trim could help bring the level of detail out much more. Maybe also introducing a second floor texture. My main issue with this screenshot though is the skaarj decoration texture leading up to the overscaled Starship light at the upper-right hand corner of this image. The Skaarj decoration texture that abruptly ends looks.... well.... abruptly ending and the light source way overscaled. Maybe you could just extend the decoration(s) up the wall completely and just ditch that light all-together but its hard to say.
Image

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014, 21:55

Themisto wrote:Pretty cool loking interiors! but that outdoor are is too flat on all fronts.


Yes, you're right. When I made that level, I didn't know how to make traditional unreal-like terrains, and UnrealPolyEd did not exist. If I want to completely replace that terraint, I have to rebuild that area completely - so I'm still thinkin' on it :wink:

User avatar Pla
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014, 22:12

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:Pla, you seem like you have a real knack at mixing different flavors of texture sets in those indoor areas. I'm seeing textures from Skaarj, Mine and DecayedS package and as much as mixing texture packages together can go wrong, your screenshots still seem nice and have a sense of "place" to them.

To be completely honest with you, since you can't really remember where the name came from or why you started it but never finished, you might be better off just releasing what you have alpha to the public just to give you feedback and ideas for things like story, gameplay and difficulty and general critiques on your geometry and lighting capabilities thus far. I think the more suggestions (and dare I say help) you receive from the community here, it might just get you a position on a current mapping team or lead to an entirely new individual SP project that could mean alot more to you personally. Just a suggestion and if instead you decide to finish this one off any call it a day, I understand your POV.

A First critique of one of the screenshots you have already provided:

Generally speaking the geometry lends itself nicely in this screenshot. I think a bit more geometrical variation on the floor to help the skaarj panels and trim could help bring the level of detail out much more. Maybe also introducing a second floor texture. My main issue with this screenshot though is the skaarj decoration texture leading up to the overscaled Starship light at the upper-right hand corner of this image. The Skaarj decoration texture that abruptly ends looks.... well.... abruptly ending and the light source way overscaled. Maybe you could just extend the decoration(s) up the wall completely and just ditch that light all-together but its hard to say.


Thanks for the critiqe. This is what I like the most. I mixed textures on purpose. I tried a second floor texture, but always made my level buggy. To tell you the truth, I didn't really know mapping in those times. I just had creativity, and I wanted to create a few levels in the original Unreal atmosphere. I will think on your advice of just giving to the public what I have done already.

User avatar Terraniux
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Posts: 158
Joined: 01 Mar 2011, 23:19
Location: Planet Earth, Zodiac constellar system.
Contact:

Subject: Re: Unreal Acrid - Single/Cooperative Campaign

Post Posted: 14 Jul 2014, 01:24

Might be late reaction, and sorry for eventually being Captain Obvious, but still here goes:

It doesn't matter what kind of Unreal Map or Pack you make. As long you had enjoy, relaxation and putted effort in it is always worth to bring out and play. No one will ever say 'I dislike this in a concrete way.' Some constructive critism is all you ever need. Reactions and feedback will follow. What could be a better place than UnrealSP to bring out a project that is dedicated to your favorite game? There isn't. Unreal SP is the best.

Other than that: You're doing a great job. Seeing forward to play it. +100. Love the architecture and terrain build there. :tup:
Crystal Unreal Site Administrator
http://crystalunreal.com

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: UBerserker and 1 guest