A random sentence for a random mind.

Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC release

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC release

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 00:10

Is the UT site done, well i am afraid not, but i will declare it for open never the less :)

I will keep adding new things to the site upcomming time, but i need to go back to the SGC Project and keep my promises to other people.

Than of course the news everybody was waiting for, the new S3TC textures for Unreal Tournament.

Upfront a few remarks:

- The packages are netcompatible, which means there should be no conflict with the packages on the current servers.

- Anti cheat, it will pass Pure anti cheat just fine, at least it did nothing on me. Other anti cheat i have no clue, but i will soon hear that from you guys :D

- Skating Player glitch, the current S3TC Texture Fix may or may not work. We simply will see what happens. Again i need input from everybody.

- Masking problems for the city and SkyBox package should be fixed.

Than a few links dealing with the Unreal Tournament Retexturing Project, UTRP or UTRProject for short:

Unreal Tournament site

UTRProject page (yes i know, i will replace the screenshots for UT screenshots as soon as possible)

Unreal Tournament forums

bugreports and remarks about individual utx packages

Forum to discuss the project in general (and in this case the Skating Player glitch is dealt there).

Texture Database

Which is important for mappers, you can see what textures are S3TC and which are not, on top of that you can download the photoshop files in a maximum resolution of 2048 pixels x 2048 pixels in case you want to edit the textures to your own good in a new package.

And than the actual release for the packages.

I have been working around the clock on all packages, and that includes updates in all current UT S3TC packages that never were updated, since the project originally only was ment for Unreal.

All the packages together are now some 1784 Mb, which is getting awfully close to 2 gigabyte of High Resolution textures. All packages have been re-processed again to take out errors and to make sure all dates did match.

All packages have now 15-04-2008 as date(non English countries 15-04-2008), yeah i know its in the future 8-)

They also should be concidered as beta in case you go online with them, SP no problem could occur.

High End downloads (aprox 1198 Mb download)

Low End downloads (aprox 701 Mb download)

I created some 250 mb of new textures(in UT specific packages) for this release, and those will be available in time for Unreal as well in a seperate port project for Unreal.

Please, please, please do me a favor and post actual bugreports on the forums from Unreal Texture and not here.

Have fun with them :D
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 13:35

Last update on the hi end textures: 15th of April 2008.... :lol: :tup:
So should I download them then? I mean.. what's the update from the previous version? (or did I miss somethign?)

Edit: sorry.. I should've read better.. you were already talking about the date issue... :B
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 16:05

Yeah i always pick a date somewhere in the future and always larger than 12 to prevent confusement.

However i forgot to mention this clearly, the S3TC textures offered here are ONLY for UT, and should never be used for Unreal ! If you use them for Unreal they will cause online version mismatches !

Just in case people are wondering.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 16:57

but it's ok to use it offline then.. for singleplayer stuff, right? (since I never play online)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 18:05

I didnt test it, but yeah i asume it should work as a charme alright for Unreal, just not online.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 20:09

I'll definitely try this :tup:
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 20:32

Most of the textures, including on packages that are described as "Done" seem to say "S3TC version is not available". Am I missing something?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 21:02

Most of the textures, including on packages that are described as "Done" seem to say "S3TC version is not available". Am I missing something?

From what you write there i asume you are looking at the Texture Database. The Texture Database is ment to keep track on what textures are available in S3TC. Apart from that you can also download the individual packages that are available as well as the high resolution PSD files for editing/mapping purposes.

The page you made the remark about is the mainpage from the Texture Database, if it says Done on that page that refers to the Database itself, meaning the package can be viewed online, if it says Pending it means that the database for that specific package hasnt been created yet.

The Database is an entity on itself :)

And if it says Done, that means that the Database for a package is there and completed, but it doesnt say anything if that package also contains S3TC textures or not. The Database was always ment to keep trtack on what textures have been turned S3TC and wich ones were waiting for that, its an overview really, but very usefull for mappers and speciffically people that want to make maps only having S3TC textures.

When you look at the Unreal Texture database it might clear this up, that database is completed, meaning all the textures for Unreal can be seen online:

Unreal Texture Database

And the database also offers the high resolution downloads(if available) as PSD files, like this example:

mlbPipeWall7TES.rar Which can be viewed on this page:

UTbase1 Wall group

Lol i hope this clears it up :)
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 21:27

That does help... thanks for clearing that up!

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008, 22:09

:)
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 14:30

Really liking the new textures. The only thing I really want now is the Sky Isles in the background getting fixed, as they look weird.

ImageImage

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 14:46

Damn your correct, for Unreal i had too many request to leave them in anyways. For UT i should have discarded those :(

I agree a full 1000% those look horrible. I simply forgot to take those out, and leave the original ones in place, since they look tons better than what i came up with.

They look so simple, but are incredibly difficult for me to reproduce in a higher quality :( And i tried this over, and over and over again....

I will remove those in the next update.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 17:43

Your newest update is freaky awesome, well I am looking forward for every new update, but theres something I noted in one of the retail DOMs...

Uhm the Bricktex, well I know a Highres Texture package for an old Nintendo 64 game which has a similar comic look.. but I am not sure if that style of textures fits here ... I don`t really like it.

User avatar Diehard

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 19:26

Those textures can be found on this page:

UTtech1 Wall Group

The texture is probably ClifBrk4.

The story is this, ClifBrk3 already was present on the 2nd CD as S3TC texture. The only thing i did with that texture was painting the ledge(the horizontal thingy) on top of that one. Which means the base was not created by me.

And it needs to be said, i wanted to make those walls from scratch but did lack the time in this first UT release. The S3TC texture that i used, is from a quallity you hardly can call High Res. I think they simply bumpmapped the original texture in a larger scale, which is what i see happening with more textures from Epic. And dont get me wrong, sometimes that technique really does work, like the crates in the same package:

Ttech1 Deco group

But on those wall it doesnt really work. Hopefully i will redo those walls using a good solid base like in this one:

ClifCon7 (read: Cliffy B Concrete version 07)

For that one i used an actual concrete base(name of the texture pointed to me its concrete) on which i painted the bricks. Ill see if i can redo your texture to a beter version in a next upodate.

Often when you start out with a package for the first time you have to make alot of difficult decisions, speciffically if Epic used the same texture in different suroundings.

Like AS-High speed, the texture that is widelly used inside the train, is also the base texture for concrete in Unreal Dmdeck16, meaning in Unreal its concrete, in UT its all of a sudden metal. Than that same texture is re-used again in UT to have a metal pipe on top of the concrete backround :rolleyes:

Stuff like that can make it horribly complicated lol, and my decision in such an occasion makes it either concrete or metal because in actual high resolution you really can see if its concrete or metal. Which than means in some occiasions it really looks terrible stupid. Its more or less the same story as the inverted screens in Vortex2, no-one could read those, so who cares if they are added inverted, but now with High Res, it does matter.........

Though i painted the deco on top of it, the texture you mention is Epics fault :D Heck its Cliffy's fault :)
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008, 19:43

hmm ok, didnt now that. Btw: I have seen similiar uttech 1 brick textures in ut04.. if you want I can look for it, maybe they could be used as a base?

Next