Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017, 04:54

It seems like the shrunk quadshot is a common problem in 227i as I have it too. I also think it wastes a shell if you use alternate fire so I single fire it instead (I'm not even sure). That new skin looks dope, though. :) and I also forgot the sound was too loud so that's great, too.

Those new entries could come in handy but you should also post them in a separate thread.

I'll try to restart the campaign in UT99 but not before I learn how to disable those blob shadows.
M'nali

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017, 07:11

Diego96 wrote:It seems like the shrunk quadshot is a common problem in 227i as I have it too.

So I guess the QuadShot does not work for anyone in 227i? That pretty much makes Redeem Your Space unplayable in Unreal, then! So far, everything is working great in UT99.

I also think it wastes a shell if you use alternate fire so I single fire it instead (I'm not even sure). That new skin looks dope, though. :) and I also forgot the sound was too loud so that's great, too.

I don't think the QuadShot wastes any shells in UT99 with the secondary fire unless you have fewer than 4 shells left. If you keep using the secondary fire to reload past 0 shells, it switches to another weapon without firing and you lose those loaded shots forever. :P
I wonder if anyone here can fix that?

Those new entries could come in handy but you should also post them in a separate thread.

There was a thread years ago (probably sometime back in 2006) in the old forum before it was lost as well as a news article about it - but I should probably start a new thread. In fact, I have been thinking about starting a thread about all my past released works, since many of them are lost (Limbo, OldCustomEntries, UT Classic Packs, and more).

I'll try to restart the campaign in UT99 but not before I learn how to disable those blob shadows.

I don't have any shadows in my UT99. Are you using the UTGLR drivers? I personally use the OpenGL UTGLR drivers, and there are no shadows at all. I am not sure about the D3D9 drivers...
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017, 23:24

Lightning Hunter wrote:Almost none of those instructions by pcgames30 is necessary.

Just wanted to shout out a big thank-you for that post. I had about written off playing this pack in UT after trying it with 451, in a separate copy of the game (thank the Nali gods for the portability of the Unreal-series!) and it was an absolute disaster, crashing at the drop of a hat. So I installed the pak in Unreal and it worked fine, but I'd much prefer to do it in UT/Oldskool. So after reading your post I tried it in a normal 436 install, and as you say it's working perfectly.

Also, your custom SP menu entries are FABULOUS. What a great little mutie, just in time for an SP couple-months-long extravaganza I'm planning. Right now I'm not playing, I'm just opening up maps and making sure they run (and as we all know, that's never a given!). In another week or two I ought to have gone through everything available, and I'll be ready to sit down and play. Your little menu add-on is going to be a real blessing.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017, 18:35

The entire pack is getting a rework from Lightning Hunter and Leo. It'll add new music, fix many stuff like the quadshot and traslator messages, etc. I kind of participated in testing.
M'nali

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017, 19:09

Diego96 wrote:The entire pack is getting a rework from Lightning Hunter and Leo. It'll add new music, fix many stuff like the quadshot and traslator messages, etc. I kind of participated in testing.

I haven't contacted Paci yet, so this is not a for sure deal - but assuming he agrees, I hope to release my reworked version in the not-so-distant future. I am personally re-writing 99% of all the translator messages (the grammar bothered me before). Leo is helping me clear up a few plot points here and there since he speaks czech. I am making the story much clearer and more cohesive. There are also going to be some other additions and changes. Other changes besides those mentioned by Diego are new sound effects for the Demons, new skins/sounds for the replicators (previously they were Pupae, but did not fit the story), locked door sounds and messages so the player knows what areas to revisit, gameplay tweaks, and bug fixes.

I will start a whole new thread once I get permission from Paci (hopefully I will).

Ironword

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017, 08:31

The entire pack is getting a rework from Lightning Hunter and Leo

Woohoo! All right, I'll wait for it.

By the way, Lightning Hunter, I looked for a separate thread re your "Custom OldSkool Entries" mutator but couldn't find one, because I need to report a limitation that probably didn't occur to you. I suspect it's not worth worrying about in terms of recoding, as the issue won't affect very many folks, and that's why I'm reporting it here instead of in a new thread--basically, I don't want to appear critical of your excellent work. I think making a new thread out of this would give the impression that I'm carping about it, and I don't want to do that. Just a suggestion for a note you might want to put in the readme, that's all.

Brief summary: Custom OldSkool Entries doesn't support custom folder hierarchies. Potential users should be warned that this is the case.

Long-winded explanation: I like to keep custom maps and resources separate from the shipping resources so I can run a cleaner install. In UnrealTournament.ini I have a paths section that goes to CustomMaps/ with subfolders for maps, textures, sounds, etc.:

Code: Select all

Paths=../CustomUT/Maps/*.unr
Paths=../CustomUT/Music/*.umx
Paths=../CustomUT/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../CustomUT/System/*.u
Paths=../CustomUT/System/*.int
Paths=../CustomUT/Textures/*.utx

This allows me to install big packs without getting them all mixed up with the original resources. Then when the CustomUT folder gets too cluttered and I start getting random crashes because of conflicts etc., I don't have to hunt through all the main root directories of the UT installation in order to uninstall the packs. Indeed, with three or four big custom packs installed, say Redeem Your Space, ONP, and Legacy, uninstalling them all from a normal UT is a nightmare. It's at least an hour-long process while you stumble blearily through each folder deleting each custom sound, texture, etc., looking back and forth from the original zip archives to the UT folder. It's dangerous because it's too easy to delete a shipping resource along with one of the custom resources, and at best it's an awful chore. I completely avoid both the risk and the work by simply going into CustomUT and deleting all the subfolders. Then I install the next pack there. (If it's a umod, I extract the files with the tool Umodbrowser which IIRC I got at OldUnreal, then install manually to CustomUT.)

Unfortunately, your Oldskool-entries mutator doesn't accommodate this kind of organization. I realize that not many folks take the trouble to follow my method, as it is a bit more work when you install maps/packs. But if you're a neatnik, my subfolder method can't be beat, and it would be nice if you'd warn folks that your mutator doesn't support it.

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017, 19:59

Ironword wrote:
Unfortunately, your Oldskool-entries mutator doesn't accommodate this kind of organization. I realize that not many folks take the trouble to follow my method, as it is a bit more work when you install maps/packs. But if you're a neatnik, my subfolder method can't be beat, and it would be nice if you'd warn folks that your mutator doesn't support it.

My custom entries are set up the same way as the default entries shipped with oldskool (like Illhaven, One Day, Shrakitha, etc.), so I have not changed or modified this format. If there are issues with your paths setup, then it is a problem with oldskool in general, and not related to my release in particular. My release is merely an extension to the oldskool mappacks. It uses the same structure and format.

That being said, I am not even convinced this is an oldskool issue either. Where do you have oldskool installed? Are the files like oldskool.u and oldskool.int in UnrealTournament\System? Where did you install my extension files like olCustomMapPacks.u and olCustomMapPacks.int? Are they also in UnrealTournament\System? Do you see map packs like One Day and Shrakitha in your list? If so, do they work? If you don't see any of these map packs in the list, then this is a limitation/restriction with oldskool in general, and not at all related to my map pack entries. If you see the oldskool entries and not mine, then you need to verify where you installed all the system files. They should be in the same place.

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017, 03:40

Just so everyone knows, I got permission from Paci to work on a new release of Redeem Your Space. I am currently still rewriting many of the translator messages, and I am doing an overhaul of the gameplay for several maps. I will start a new thread later on.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017, 15:51

Wonderful. I'll be waiting until then.
M'nali

Ironword

Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017, 22:11

Lightning Hunter wrote:Where do you have oldskool installed? Are the files like oldskool.u and oldskool.int in UnrealTournament\System?.... Where did you install my extension files like olCustomMapPacks.u and olCustomMapPacks.int?

I never install any mods to custom directories. All mods, including Oldskool and yours, go straight into the root UnrealTournament\System directory. The only *.u files etc. that I put into a custom directory are those that come with a map pack.

Do you see map packs like One Day and Shrakitha in your list?

This is a fair question, as I have indeed noticed that sometimes maps installed to custom hierarchies indeed do not show up in Oldskool's list. When that happens I've got no choice but to install directly to the main root hierarchy, although I can usually open the maps via console if I really want to keep the custom install. I should have thought of that before I posted. In addition it may also be that it's my mistake, come to think of it: I consistently forget to Refresh Oldskool's list, and sometimes this has led me into thinking there was something wrong with a map I've just installed when really all I needed to do was press "Refresh".

With this in mind, I did an experiment. On a copy of UT without OlCustomMappacks, I installed both One Day and Shrakitha as well as EZkeel's most important paks (Invasion & Legacy). Just to make things interesting, I changed up the custom hierarchies a little. I kept One Day and Shrakitha in the same place, CustomUT, per my post above, but put EZkeel's stuff in a different hierarchy. The relevant entries in UnrealTournament.ini look like this:

; Shrakitha and One Day:
Paths=../CustomUT/Maps/*.unr
Paths=../CustomUT/Music/*.umx
Paths=../CustomUT/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../CustomUT/System/*.u
Paths=../CustomUT/System/*.int
Paths=../CustomUT/Textures/*.utx
; EZKeel's packs:
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/Maps/*.unr
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/Textures/*.utx
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/Sounds/*.uax
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/Music/*.umx
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/System/*.u
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/System/*.int
Paths=../CustomUT/_large/deCyber/System/*.ini

Then I started UT, and the results were interesting. One Day and Shrakitha both show up in the Map-Pack list. EZkeel's Invasion duly shows up as it should in Map Pack. But Legacy does not. Despite being installed to the same directory as Invasion, which is in the Map-Pack list, the maps for Legacy show up in the Custom-Maps list.

Then I moved on to packs that you added in your mod, although this time I didn't mess around with extra hierarchies, just keeping everything to CustomUT. There I installed 13 Mutants, Abandoned Colony, and Hard Crash. I then started UT (CustomOldskoolEntries still uninstalled). All 13-Mutants, SPabc (Abandoned Colony), and HCLx (Hard Crash) maps were present in the Custom Maps list.

Finally, I installed CustomOldskoolEntries--and sure enough, there are Hard Crash, The Abandoned Colony, and Thirteen Mutants, all sitting there next to the others in the Map-Pack list. So my initial post on this issue was wrong, at least for some or even most maps. I wish I could remember which one I had a problem with--I've installed and uninstalled a bunch over the last few days, just to ensure that they work on my system.

The puzzle my experiment throws up is why Legacy doesn't show up in Map Pack. That's not your problem, as it's not one of the packs you support in your readme, but surely Oldskool would have shipped with Legacy support. So I've got to assume that something's wonky there. And where one pak is wonky, others can be also.

I'll keep paying attention to this issue and if I see further problems with specific paks I'll holler. Thx again for your great work!

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017, 01:34

By the way, you do not need to refresh the map list when it comes to map pack entries. This is only necessary for the custom maps list. It is also possible that having a pack listed in the custom maps list will prevent it from appearing in the map pack list, but I am not certain about this. Try deleting all maps from OldSkool.ini under [olroot.OldSkoolmapsClientWindow]. They appear under the "LoadedMaps" section. After this, you can try loading the game again, and see if they appear. Personally, I NEVER use the refresh button, as I find it buggy. I manually add custom maps to the "LoadedMaps" section in OldSkool.ini as needed. I only have a small handful of them anyway, like this:

LoadedMaps[0]=Star861
LoadedMaps[1]=Tarmation
LoadedMaps[2]=Tarmation2
LoadedMaps[3]=Morene
LoadedMaps[4]=Vacillations
LoadedMaps[5]=Enslaved
LoadedMaps[6]=tridigintro
LoadedMaps[7]=TheLastFortressFinal
etc...

If I use refresh, I will get hundreds of maps plaguing my custom maps list...

If all else fails, you could try placing the first map of every pack straight in the UnrealTournament\Maps folder, and the rest could go in your other custom directories. In theory, this should work, because oldskool loads the map pack list based on the first map only (although it does subtract maps from the custom maps list based on ALL the maps).

Keep in mind that the custom pack "apocalypse threat" searches for maps in a different folder. As such, if you install this pack, make sure the first map of the pack is located in \Maps, while the rest go in the folder the maps were supposed to be in (I think \maps\apoc).

Ironword

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017, 03:09

Lightning Hunter wrote:I NEVER use the refresh button

Lightning, you are the man. That's an awesome tip. I've hated all those extra entries!

Getting rid of all the junk--including all the Legacy entries--still didn't make Legacy appear in the Map Pack list, though. Something odd still going on there. But at least now I can add just the first Legacy map to the Custom list instead of having all of its maps uselessly clogging it up.

Again, that's just an awesome way to go. Thanks a ton!

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017, 05:26

I just looked for you, and Legacy is NOT in fact an oldskool entry. Legacy has its own map pack file called "LegacyMenu.u" and "LegacyMenu.int". If you put these two files in the \System folder, I imagine it will work fine.

By the way, if you are going to install more than 50 map packs, keep in mind they will stop showing up in the map pack list. OldSkool has a limit of 50 packs. I actually fixed this with my own modified version of OldSkool (among a few other things). You can read more about it in this thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4208

I uploaded my version of Oldskool there (based on 239), but keep in mind it will likely break coop support. I personally don't play coop these days, so I don't care about modifying oldskool.

Ironword

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017, 07:44

Lightning Hunter wrote:Legacy is NOT in fact an oldskool entry

Aha!

Not much chance I'll ever have 50 or more packs installed together. Keeping things clean, lean and mean is the whole reason behind my custom directories for packs. But I'm going to use your Oldskool anyway for the other fixes--I don't play online at all, so no skin off my nose. Downloading it as I write this. Thanks again!

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017, 15:20

LH, I have my coop server up for the holidays. If you need to test this online let me know and I'll password it and you can use as long as you need. I'm so glad someone is doing this correctly. That whole series is so much fun and fixing the messages would make it over-the-top good. Even my crap translations opened up a whole new backstory that I never understood before and filled in the spirit of the map. Getting them all done right by someone who is a native speaker...well that is exciting and I'm looking forward to playing it all again.

Previous Next