Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 20:14

I don't know....try it and see. If it doesn't it would take me about five minutes to compile it under UT, change the name to reflect UT, then post it. All the function calls are standard, there's nothing version specific in it.
Does anyone want me to post the source code and you can take off with it on your own?

EDIT: I did a very quick rough test and no it does not work in UT. I'll see about doing an import to UT this afternoon. I'm going to need to change a couple of things.
Last edited by gopostal on 10 Sep 2014, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 20:19

So I guess I need to create an INT file if I want to play this pack offline? It does work offline, right?

Edit: Just saw your edit. I'll look forward to seeing the UT version! Don't forget to make an INT file so it appears in the list of mutators for offline usage with Old Skool. Also, it would be a sweet mod if we could use the exclamation mark with translator messages for all maps using the mutator menu!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 20:25

Yes it does, and you can if you want. You can also load the map with the mutator enabled via console:
open 01Village?mutator=gopostalRYSfix.gopostalRYSfix
Set the ini file settings to whatever you like.

When I get the cleanup done and final this thing I'll have all this stuff included (int, offline use). I just really needed some feedback and getting it played will start that coming in. I translated well over 1000 messages so I'd imagine huge room for improvement.

OH, about using this all the time....I see what I thought was a serious error in my code but does exactly what you want. If you set the "!" on in the ini file and run this as a mutator it will add them across all the maps on your server as long as the mutator is loaded and you have the ini switch set to true. I'll fix that in the final but I'll also leave this as a selectable behavior in case other people feel like you do. I've had this on my coop server for a long time (it's where the idea came from) and I love it for finding events I didn't know were there.

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 21:06

gopostal wrote: I've had this on my coop server for a long time (it's where the idea came from) and I love it for finding events I didn't know were there.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. It's a great idea so you can catch all the translator events. Out of curiosity, does the exclamation mark disappear if the translator message does? For example, in The Sunspire, there are multiple bodies that have translator events that no longer work if you blow up the bodies (the message is connected to the body). Does the exclamation mark go away then? Also, how about Translator events that are inside walls with a large collision radius? I've seen this in a few maps. Is the exclamation still shown somewhere on the wall maybe? I can test these things out for you once you get this working in UT. :)

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 21:54

OK, a couple of things...I take back the mod not working as-is in UT. It actually does. In short I was testing improperly. I added DM- to the mapname to check in a deathmatch game because I don't have anything installed on my UT folder. The translations didn't work but the "!" popped up just fine. They didn't work because it checks the map name and my edits caused it to not find that map in the checklist. Blame it on a chemo moment I guess. So yeah, it'll work in UT.
Save this:
► Show Spoiler

as "gopostalRYSfix.int" and you should be good to go.

The way this thing works is that on map load it polls through the actor list and everywhere it finds one it changes the actor's properties to not be hidden and to adopt the exclamation you see. *Very* occasionally I've seen oversized ones but it's quite rare. I'm convinced that it's mappers who screwed with the drawscale of the translator event so they wouldn't lose it in a complex map. As for them moving, well it should follow the event if it's attached to a mover, though I've never directly seen that happen in any of my maps.

If I get time I might rewrite this to spawn a separate actor and do checks for whether or not it's out of map bounds. One thing I do see a bit more than rarely is trans events stuck inside walls and so the "!" can't be seen. It's not a real problem on a normal server but on mine you only need to be standing close to one and look directly at it for the translator to pop up. On those mine fails and you have to hit F2.

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 23:09

I'm sure there is a simple way to force the drawscale to 1.0. I'm not a good coder, so I couldn't tell you how - but it can't be that hard. If you can fix the exclamation mark so it appears in maps with translator messages in walls, then I think it would be an awesome little mod - maybe even to release as a standalone.

pcgames30
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014, 00:21

I like to play Redeem Your Space with Unreal offline.

To understand the messages, I searched for an english translation.
So I found the translation of the first episode by Mr.Paci and Leo (T.C.K.).
Also I read the translation by Kelly (gopostal).

So I have to thank Mr.Paci, Leo (T.C.K.) and Kelly (gopostal)
for their groundwork.

From these sources, I built 48 .int files with english messages
and added them to the 7 files of the first episode.

Then I tested all 55 .int files by starting the maps.
To have the translator while jumping thru the beginnings of the maps,
I used the console command summon translator.

After that, I checked all files for spelling errors.
This evening, I sent the complete english translation to Mr.Paci
for free use and distribution.

With this english translation, the game can be played international
and maybe it gets a review on UnrealSP.

For playing offline, I put the game files, the game update and the english translation
in a rar pack.

If someone likes to try it out, the pack is there.

http://games.roland-philippi.de/Daten/R ... nglish.rar

Roland (pcgames30)
Last edited by pcgames30 on 26 Sep 2015, 05:41, edited 2 times in total.

pcgames30
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 00:12

UPDATE

Now I played the whole Redeem Your Space with Unreal
and corrected the spelling errors, I found on the way.

Then I sent the final updated english translation to Mr.Paci

The game worked fine. Only the quadshot was faulty.
It was displayed very small and led after one minute to a system halt.
So I used the Flak Cannon instead.
I enjoyed the bright colorful levels.

The end is not Level 48Epilogue, but UKULELE.

If someone likes to try the updated version out, the pack is called
Redeem_Your_Space-UNREAL-227i-english.rar.

You can find it here.

http://games.roland-philippi.de/Daten/R ... nglish.rar

Roland (pcgames30)
Last edited by pcgames30 on 26 Sep 2015, 05:51, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 05:26

pcgames30 wrote:UPDATE

Now I played the whole Redeem Your Space with Unreal
and corrected the spelling errors, I found on the way.

Then I sent the final updated english translation to Mr.Paci

The game worked fine. Only the quadshot was faulty.
It was displayed very small and led after one minute to a system halt.
So I used the Flak Cannon instead.
I enjoyed the bright colorful levels.

The end is not Level 48Epilog, but UKULELE.

If someone likes to try the updated version out, the pack is called
Redeem_Your_Space-UNREAL-227-english.rar.

You can find it here.

http://www.roland-philippi.de/Daten/Red ... nglish.rar

Roland (pcgames30)

Does this only work in Unreal 227? The last version released by gopostal was said to work in UT, so I'm afraid I won't be playing your update unless it also works in UT.

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 22:09

I finally decided to install 227 and get it working the way I want, but I'm confused how to play Redeem Your Space. The Readme says "Start Unreal and select Game -> Botmatch -> Coop Game -> 00Intro". But why am I going to botmatch and selecting a coop game type? How do I select the skill? Does it support skill levels?

This is why I haven't used 227 yet. There isn't a good system for custom maps, minus typing the map name in the console. Oldskool with UT has a very simple system of selecting the map (with a fancy screenshot) and the skill.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 22:17

Lightning Hunter wrote:I finally decided to install 227 and get it working the way I want, but I'm confused how to play Redeem Your Space. The Readme says "Start Unreal and select Game -> Botmatch -> Coop Game -> 00Intro". But why am I going to botmatch and selecting a coop game type? How do I select the skill? Does it support skill levels?

This is why I haven't used 227 yet. There isn't a good system for custom maps, minus typing the map name in the console. Oldskool with UT has a very simple system of selecting the map (with a fancy screenshot) and the skill.

Just thought I'd tell you how I did it since I recently went through the same process:
- Game -> Botmatch -> Unreal SinglePlayer -> 00Intro (in the map list)

Don't know why it is in botmatch, but it works as long as you then pick Unreal SinglePlayer. At first I went with Coop game but that sucks as it makes all weapons reappear in SP!
It probably does support skill levels, at least I left it on Medium from the menu where you can choose the start a new game of Unreal or RTNP and I didn't notice anything different from usual... except for special cases where the mapper must have tweaked properties.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 22:37

I never understood how mappers can forget about skill levels. I have seen so many map packs where the intro or cutscene resets the skill to Medium, which is far too easy for me. Heck, even Unreal skill is too easy for me most of the time. Also, I noticed that F1 in Unreal 227 shows me no info whatsoever, which also drives me nuts. How do I know what skill I'm in? In UT oldskool, the skill level is displayed along with many other cool stats when you press F1. Nothing is worse than thinking you are in Unreal skill, only to find that the game is too easy and you are stuck playing on Medium.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 23:11

Sorry I can't help you there, man :/ I always was a relatively casual FPS player so Medium suits me, and coincidentally, that may have saved me some trouble from what you're saying! I guess someone will drop a word soon (come on, all you 227 fans!)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015, 23:12

Sat42 wrote:Sorry I can't help you there, man

Not your fault! ;)

I guess someone will drop a word soon (come on, all you 227 fans!)

Yup, they need to defend themselves, since I am not a fan of 227 so far. :P

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015, 00:11

If you make an int file for the map pack then you can access it through start new single player game.

I don't know how to do coding stuff so you'd need one of this people who can do such a thing to help you out there.

SZ

Previous Next