Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 18:40

I've seen several stabs at this but I'm going to do this right (I promise).

Currently I've translated 43 of the maps from Czech to English. I've used Google and Babylon to translate, then went back and rewritten things as I learned the story. Some words I've guess on but I tried very hard to retain Paci's 'voice' and style but make it so it reads like it was written in English. It's been a huge amount of work. Some maps take a full day and some messages take an hour to research a couple of word meanings. I think I'm pretty close though and I promise the map series is much more enjoyable. He was weaving a rather interesting and intricate storyline into the maps and if you are a fan of them you should check this out when I finish.

Particulars: This is done as a stand-alone mod so as not to change any maps. The mod checks for mapname and then swaps out the translator and special events that need it. I added a couple of extras to the mod that can be used via an included ini file. The first is the ability to skip the wormholes. They cause problems online and it's 8 extra maps that just never should have been made. Most players don't want to see them and most are confused when they first encounter them. Switching this on will cause you to jump from one map to the next without the wormhole.
Next I added a little toy from my own server. If you turn this on it will create a spinning "!" symbol where all the translator events are located. These are non-colliding and only serve to mark those spots so you don't miss any of the story. They look like this:

Lastly I'm going to add the ability to create extra playerstarts on each map so coop teams don't telefrag each other as they join. The default maps only have one so I'll add a couple more at least per map.

Things I'm not doing: I am not altering anything within the maps themselves. I'll release the source code for this so if you run the maps and you want some things changed you can do it yourself easily. I will be doing this for my server as a couple of the maps need hints added because they are frustrating.

What I'd like to find: Someone to proofread me. After hours of translation and rewrites I get cross-eyed. It would be nice to have someone checking for spelling, diction, etc. I don't need a coder, just someone who has an eye for detail and a strong command of proper English. I want this to be right, I dislike grammatical errors because they take away from the experience. If anyone can read native Czech and wants to be bothered with a couple of questions then I'd like to talk to you. I promise I do my own work and I'm not asking you to do more than answer a few "WTF is this" questions I have where both translation tools have failed. I understand Paci wrote some of this with a certain slang and that messes with the translations.

Hopefully I'll get this done in a week or so and then proof everything for a beta release (provided I have a bit of help).
Last edited by gopostal on 10 Sep 2014, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: [U1] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 18:53

I commend you for doing this. It is some crime that a campaign of such scope has eluded some players in the community for so long on an issue as language.

I can be of no help with Czech but I would like to help, if I can, of maybe going over the English translations. For me to do this it would be better to take the pack in one shot, so I would say for you to continue and finish to the point the pack can be played from beginning to end. Then, I'd do what I could to bring the translations up a notch if they need it.

I have also not yet played the pack because I was waiting on translations, so it would be of particular interest to me to go through and experience the maps for that reason.

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 19:08

Same here! I consider myself fairly good at making sure translator messages make sense and have no spelling or major grammatical errors.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 20:09

A massive pat on the back to you, my friend! I'm sure there are a lot of people here who have been waiting for an English translation just to play this, whether completely accurate or not :D

But how many maps are there in this anyway - you say you've only done 43 and that's more than ONP had...

SZ

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 20:38

I appreciate the effort! Maybe people will get to play that pack soon.
However, just with the last time someone had a string/text-replacement-specific project: Why do you go through the effort of doing it via mutator, when you could just dump the .int contents and translate them there?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 22:12

ividyon wrote:I appreciate the effort! Maybe people will get to play that pack soon.
However, just with the last time someone had a string/text-replacement-specific project: Why do you go through the effort of doing it via mutator, when you could just dump the .int contents and translate them there?
I'll agree 100%, but as in the topic you linked to, some members think it's better to leave packs alone as they were, instead of making improvements :? just simply because it's made the way it was, and got good reviews as it was.. :shake: but alienating non-Czech speakers has to go over the top :? so having an English translation for this pack is worthwhile :)

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 22:50

Yeah, I just really don't like to make changes on someone's work without permissions. Doing it as a mutator isn't perfect but it's pretty close and will end up being something I have to do to allow the other changes I want to include if admins want to use them.
My email is agutgopostal at hotmail dot com. Any of you guys want to test this and reply back with proposed changes I'd be happy to email you what I have so far. I only ask you don't share it because I don't want to rename the files over and over. I'll send you my current compiled U file as well as the source code so you can read them all in one spot. You don't need to know code, it's very self-explanatory if you open it with notepad. It looks like this:
function FixMap_00Intro()
{
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent1", "In the 21st century tension between world powers was rising...");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent2", "Until the outbursts of hatred got out of control.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent3", "In 2048 the 3rd World War broke out.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent4", "After 8 years of harsh war most of the world was turned into rubble.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent5", "After the nuclear strikes many parts of the world became uninhabitable.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent6", "I remember it as a small child. Poverty. Food rationing.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent7", "My father was killed before I was born. My mother vanished when I was 8 years old.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent8", "In the 60s of the 21st century the totalitarian world government began strengthening its power.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent9", "The world has completely changed. There is no freedom of speech, privacy, or freedom of thought.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent10", "A world in which children betray their parents and inform the government. There is no family, no love. There exists only love towards big brother.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent11", "Press censorship is common and continuous party propaganda is nothing but a perverted mass brainwashing.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent12", "Every minute of human life is under the absolute control of all-powerful party. Ubiquitous screens constantly pour messages into peoples heads.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent13", "News about non-existant wars, traitor executions, or weapons violations. And all of that under the vigilant supervision of the loving big brother.");
SetSpecialEventMessage("SpecialEvent14", "The government party allowed a few lucky ones to complete the trip into orbit. The party showed this way was the development of the country.");
}

So you see that it can easily be read (and edited) even if you know nothing about coding. Also please remember that I struggled to retain Paci's storytelling voice and not totally rewrite things the way I would tell the story. Also the text is very much 'first-pass' and I plan to go back through again line by line smoothing everything out. I'm very sure there is abberant phrasing, clumsy sections, etc. but in addition to the retention of Paci's fingerprints on things I also encountered a message size limit on many messages forcing me to trim them down a little.
If you help with this then what I'd like you to do is proof me but also read it for repetitiveness. The translators defaulted to using the same words over and over so I kept a thesaurus handy to spice them up some. I think a bit of variety and color would help a bunch.

As for the total there are 48 maps in the main package as well as 7 side mission maps. I'm working on the 45th map right now and still have the bonus ones to do too. There are 8 wormhole maps too but they are unimportant as far as this project goes. Even if a server or person uses them there is nothing for me to do in them.

Thanks to you guys for your help! I was starting to feel the strain on this. I had this past week off work and I've ended up spending almost all my free time working on this. Now that I've gotten so many hours into it I want to make sure it's done right.

Oh also in full disclosure I have not played this pack through yet myself. I did a handful of the maps in my server and quit because I was missing so much by not being able to read things. As I translated I had the maps open in editor to see what was around but some of the text may need sprucing up once it is seen in it's circumstance. I think I'm pretty close but bear that in mind if you playtest and not just proofread.

User avatar SkaarjSniper
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 23:11

I also commend you for this great noteworty work to Mr. Paci's maps. Who knows, maybe it will grab someones attention who is fluid in both his language and the English language to make the translations even more accurate. Keep us updated, I am very eager to replay this pack in English. I'd also expect that with English translations available, this pack will finally be able to find a spot on UnrealSP.org reviews page as it will now be applicable for the scoring system.

I sent you an email.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2014, 23:56

Got it and thanks for the support. I sent you my stuff where I'm at right now (map 45). I promise you you'll be surprised at the storyline. It's much darker and sinister than I understood just from playing. I'm hugely looking forward to playing this through when I'm done. So much makes sense now.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014, 09:10

OMG, what a surprise reading this just before leaving for 10 days.
I have started RYS a couple of times but the lack of translation makes it tedious so I usually give up after 2 or 3 maps, and starting a random map didn't bring much pleasure. Still some maps are really worth it, if only for the visual aspect 'cause progression is sometimes very difficult due the size of the maps and the lack of (understandable) clues.

I'm sure help is on it's way for the proofreading and your effort will not go to waste (at all). :tup:

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2014, 22:16

Woot, got the translations done (first pass). All the maps as well as the bonus ones. Now I just need to sort out how to add some playerstarts that won't make issues and it's ready for people to playtest. I think I'll try to get it on my server tonight and play through some.
By the way I made contact with Paci and he gave blessing to the project. Thanks brother! I will do you right.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 05:31

I'm going to go ahead and release this. It's very close to done and honestly I need some help proofreading it. Hopefully if it gets some server time people can point out if I messed up anything. I plan on doing a final version to clean up mistakes.
This translates all the regular maps and bonus ones. I got all the triggers, special events and translator events that had messaging. Please tell me if you find errors. I've spent a good amount of hours on this and I'd like to finish up strong with a quality English conversion that preserves Paci's storyline.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/820wk ... lation.zip

Also there's a new CD out from these guys :D http://www.hammerfall.net/

Thank you Paci for your hard work on these maps. Hopefully a lot more people will get to fully enjoy them now.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 16:31

Very nice! I never could get past the 2nd map, now maybe I'll be able to beat the pack. Thank you for working on this.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [U1] [RELEASED] Redeem Your Space English translation (not Engrish)

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 18:29

I have this running on my server and the map vote list is nothing but RYS maps and bonus ones. You can jump around and see any of the maps you want in any order. Just look for my server in the coop tab. The scanner tool allows you to force any of the doors you want so it's easy to hop right to where you left off if you leave and come back another day.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014, 20:08

Does this work in Unreal Tournament with Old Skool?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Next