This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Dead Star Map-pack (Completed)(Unreal; 16 single/multiplayer maps)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar UPredator
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Dead Star Map-pack (Completed)(Unreal; 16 single/multiplayer maps)

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 00:33

Dead Star Map-pack
Features: 16 Levels
Play-time: ~1:45 minutes
Difficulty: Experienced
Recommended: Medium-High range desktop PC; Game Brightness between 5 and 6.
File-size: 10.5 mb
*Only works in Oldunreal 227 patch*
Start Map: EntryPrison.unr
(included some music files for those who might not have Upak)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////
DOWNLOAD LINK:
Removed for now. See viewtopic.php?f=4&p=70244#p70228
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

This is my first ever release of a map-pack or a level in general. Hope you guys and gals enjoy it, please let me know
if there are any bugs or serious gameplay issues at [email protected].
Thanks for all the support!

-Predator
(feel free to distribute, I've never hosted anything before)

Screenshots (800x600):
Last edited by UPredator on 23 Feb 2015, 02:05, edited 4 times in total.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Dead Star Map-pack (Completed)(Unreal; 16 single/multiplayer maps)

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 01:36

fantastic :D now we have a new map-pack this year \o/

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 01:39

Awesome stuff man, been watching this on OldUnreal - good to see you've released (in under a year!)

Gonna definitely play this as soon as I get the time ;)

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 02:18

Oh my! Great news indeed!!
It won't be for just yet, but once I get around to playing this, I'll provide some feedback for sure! :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar UPredator

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 03:52

Cool guys, would love to hear some positive and negative feedback. This is my first, contained, set of maps I have ever made. I look forwarding to making more stuff maybe a sequel with better productions if this is received well. As you guys know, mapping takes a while.. Anyways hope you guys have fun

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 05:52

Wow! Good news! I'm going to play it as far as I can!

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 07:30

Can't wait to wake up, and play this. Welcome aboard.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 08:08

Geometry isn't bad. It's basic, but it gets the point across and looks good. A lot odds and ends also seemed "borrowed" from the stock maps. The Nali must have a very strict legal code when it comes to building houses, since every Nali house in every map pack looks the same. On the whole though, the pack has a very "Unreal" vibe to it, which isn't a shock to anyone I'm sure.

Fine work.

► Show Spoiler

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 20:32

Good Lord, that's pretty.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015, 22:16

Downloaded and played a couple of maps. Just entered Mystic Cave before saving to continue tomorrow.
First impressions: yes, a likeable Unrealvibe. For first map (pack) not bad at all. I have to agree though that the Nali huts lack variation and that some areas (ported from existing maps) could have been modified a bit more.
About the sounds, on my system (new PC, new installation of U227) there's a lot, and I mean a lot of echo, insofar that it becomes a bit irritating (standard Unreal sound completely normal though).
A couple of drawbacks:
I'm playing on Hard and it's .. err ... very Easy, until now I've never been short of ammo (far from it) and only once did I fall below 70 health. Health is balanced fine I think but the lack of dangerous resistance means you never get to need it, also I think ammo could be reduced by 20%, maybe 40%. I've a feeling the difficulty settings need some serious adjustment. At this rate the 1h 45m mentioned to play through the pack will be a serious overestimation (I've hardly played 20 minutes up to now)
Also there is a more or less secret area (the level before the one I've got my savegame on) when riding a wooden ropelift structure up, shortly before reaching the top I see a corpse and some items: unfortunately once you're up and the lift is back down there's no way to get there legally (well, I haven't found a way to call the lift back up).
In that top area there are 2 wooden raised platform with boxes on them - I would suspect there's something interesting there but I can't find a way to get up there or to bring the platforms down e.g. shooting the ropes). If there is a way, please accept my apologies, I will look again, but if there isn't, it's a game design I don't like.
Next point: twice a map ends just before a door, and the next map starts with no door behind the player, that's a bit strange.

But, don't let these harsh comments bring despair, after all I'm rushing through the pack so I might have missed lots of things, I'm also writing this as it comes into my mind PLUS: I'm so used to playing maps made by seasoned mappers that my standards are totally unrealistic for a new mapper. In other words, for a first time mapper, it's a damn good effort, especially considering the number of maps, the storyline and the ideas implemented :tup: (it's easy for me to criticise, but I haven't made a map yet - and probably never will). The gameplay balance is something which can easily be adjusted (Easy and Medium should be doable for just about anybody, but Hard and especially Unreal should test the player a lot more).

OK, I'll cut the rant, take a good rest and continue playing tomorrow evening (and don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it - the Unreal vibe (as mentioned before) is certainly there :tup:

User avatar UPredator

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015, 05:52

ebd wrote:Geometry isn't bad. It's basic, but it gets the point across and looks good. A lot odds and ends also seemed "borrowed" from the stock maps. The Nali must have a very strict legal code when it comes to building houses, since every Nali house in every map pack looks the same. On the whole though, the pack has a very "Unreal" vibe to it, which isn't a shock to anyone I'm sure.

Well thanks for the first part. Some work went into lightning, sound, and atmospherics. I understand what you mean about re-using assets. Part of problem for me was making things that were "Unreal" in nature and tone, but also new. It was difficult for me to create wholly original ideas. I did borrow from previous Unreal brushes, but I mean so did the original developers. There are Nali house similar if not the same in Nyleve, Dusk Falls, Spire Village, Spire Land, Inter-Crashsite. Not 100% backing up my use of them, in a lot of ways they are sort of a cop-out. But they offer a symbol for the player to go to knowing there might be supplies inside. I hate the idea of supplies laying around randomly in maps. If you noticed I tried to put items in "stock piles" where they would perhaps logically be found. In crates, in Nali house, on mercenary platforms whatever. I never understood the random eightball canister lay in the corner of a map. Talk about contrived.

ebd wrote:"So they entombed the brute while building the structure on the off chance that someone were to walk by before the brute starved to death?

Sort of.. This was actually what you say it is. Contrived design. It was actually homage to bad design. While design Krajigar Mine my brother was over looking over my shoulder watching me build it. He used to make Counter Strike map in Gold Hammer, and asked why the brutes were just walking around. We got into a discussion of what their actual purpose is or was. I explained they are basically slaves of the Skaarj, much like the Krall, just outfitted for more "heavy" operation. That idea that they could use their gun arms to blow up rock to reach Tarydium ore was sound to me. Putting a brute literally in a wall and working it to "scare" the player was sort of joke on how this brute had no other job but to literally be divided off into a wall. While duping a brute, it ended up in a wall, literally away from where I originally had placed it. I figured it would be funny just to have a brute in a wall, just for hell of it, and so became the wall brute. That little piece took about 10 minutes to make, just for a little fun. But I'll definitely keep your criticisms in mind. Just don't think its all contrived.

ebd wrote:The lava level was really cool, though the enemies had problems navigating it.

I know, sort of not very good at pathing it takes a lot for a beginner to even scratch what does what in navi for enemies, and lets be honest Unreal enemy's are squirrely but they are not the brightest. I place Path Nodes as best as i could, and just left it to whatever happens, happens. I kinda like when a Skaarj Officer missing a jump plunging into lava below..idk

ebd wrote:Towards the last few maps (but not so much during the battle with general whatever and the obligatory queen battle) ammo runs a little short for all weapons.

ebd wrote:I'm playing on Hard and it's .. err ... very Easy, until now I've never been short of ammo (far from it) and only once did I fall below 70 health. Health is balanced fine I think but the lack of dangerous resistance means you never get to need it, also I think ammo could be reduced by 20%, maybe 40%. I've a feeling the difficulty settings need some serious adjustment.

These are fair assesments. I played through these maps quite a bit. I realized that there might be massive difficulty flaws. But I wasn't sure if I was just that good (haha) or because I knew where all the items/weapons are.. It was apparent to me towards the end of the game where I almost had maxed ammo on most weapons. But I figured for newer players that this would be okay for them. Maybe some people just like to play Unreal to mess around and not worry how many shots are left in their Flak. Sometimes even I would play the same map again and have a different outcome and acutally question taking out ammo. It was a hard thing to test. Next time I will use map-testers, as I didn't this time. I just wanted to surprise a few Unreal players with a quick map pack. I'm new, so my reputation is a blank canvas. I don't care if this plumetted.

As for the queen having too few ammo, i originally had the idea of you waking up VRikers style (again) having to run around collecting all the weapons and ammo/items again. This idea i threw out because after "breaking" into the Skaarj armory in the ship, i felt that your progress of earning weapons or acquiring over the game should not be cut. Also having a map with 9 weapons and ammo looks ridiculous. Point taken though, just everything I played that map i felt that I had enough ammo left over to be able to fight the queen okay.

ebd wrote:In that top area there are 2 wooden raised platform with boxes on them - I would suspect there's something interesting there but I can't find a way to get up there or to bring the platforms down e.g. shooting the ropes). If there is a way, please accept my apologies, I will look again, but if there isn't, it's a game design I don't like.

Then you probably don't like it. The purpose of the hanging boxes was just purely aesthetic. Showing that the Skaarj were using rope/pulley to hoist or hold stuff. I'm sorry if this was misleading. I guess I didn't think about it that much. If you missed the secret the first time, you should have stay on the lift. I'm sorry about this design flaw, I should have made a "return" lever for the lift.

ebd wrote:OK, I'll cut the rant, take a good rest and continue playing tomorrow evening (and don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it - the Unreal vibe (as mentioned before) is certainly there :tup:

Thanks, I know its not the best thing around, but as long as you have fun

ebd wrote:Good Lord, that's pretty.

Thank you sir, i had fun playing around with colors and palettes. I tried to create a diverse sense of place.

ebd wrote:I'm not really sure what the story is. Since the player character romps around the planet killing anything she or he comes across, then boards a Skaarj ship, sabotages it, and kills everyone on board, perhaps those mercenaries should have just left the player character in the prison.

There are translator log messages on dead bodies around the maps, but I digress. It is a little thin, but really put together towards the end. I didn't think people cared about story in Unreal... I mean the base game was to me essentially you are "Jesus Christ" with a rocket launcher to a group of native people that you can kill and (in some situations) kill in "humourous" ways to save them from an enslaving race of humanoid lizards. I will work on it more next time around.

ebd wrote:Can't wait to wake up, and play this. Welcome aboard.

Thank you sir, hope you have a little fun playing it

ebd wrote:Oh my! Great news indeed!!
It won't be for just yet, but once I get around to playing this, I'll provide some feedback for sure! :)

Thank you Sat42, let me know what you think.

ebd wrote:Awesome stuff man, been watching this on OldUnreal - good to see you've released (in under a year!)

Gonna definitely play this as soon as I get the time ;)

Thank you! I wanted to do a silent release originally but after dropping some stuff on Oldunreal, i figured I really needed to work on it. It took some time, even with its generally short levels, theres just a lot to making maps.. Hope you have some fun with it.

ebd wrote:fantastic :D now we have a new map-pack this year \o/

Do people not release often?

Did you guys like my music selection? I really love Unreal music :)

Anyways glad you guys are enjoying most of the aspects of it. I realize there are flaws in several aspects. Again I haven't ever released anything, I'm "new" to mapping. I don't know vertex editing or tessellation or whatever, I just realize that was a thing after someone mentioned it in a post to me a while ago. I'll try to combine all what you guys say for better maps moving forward. Just hope that you guys can add this to your playlist and enjoy blowing away the Skaarj. :tup:

Queen Ship spoiler:
► Show Spoiler

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015, 14:26

Appreciate the effort that went into making a good pack. It's nice to have some new content to play. Keep up the good work.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015, 22:35

UPredator wrote:If you missed the secret the first time, you should have stay on the lift. I'm sorry about this design flaw, I should have made a "return" lever for the lift.

About that lift: as far as I remember, once you reach the top you're immediately attacked and it won't be easy to stay on the lift to catch it when it returns down. Also (I haven't tried it) if you jump onto the secret area while the lift is going down, you're probably stuck there until you commit suicide.
The thing is that on a first playthrough, I doubt anybody would have a clue as to how to make use of that secret area (making is a almost certain learn by dying situation which is best avoided except perhaps in real puzzle levels)

Anyway, I have now finished the pack and...

The 1h 45m mentioned are just about correct. Progress becomes more difficult from where I saved my game, and in a very good way. Enemies are placed in more advantageous position (for them) making a much slower approach necessary (and I was happy to have full ammo because it became quite tense at times). You never fell into the trap of overdoing it with the number or strength of enemies :tup:

Health is still sufficiently available without overdoing is, ammo I'm still not so sure, the DP with powerups you provided can compensate for a bit less heavy ammo so I'll stick with my opinion that 20 % of the ammo could be cut.

The battles with the strong berseker, the titan, the commander, the Warlord and the Queen are .... actually nicely set up. Both the Warlord battle and the Queen battle are better than in any other novice map (I particularly liked the use of the extra enemies with the Titan - I even feel there could be an extra spawning point above the area entrance, making a retreat to the open area where you came from more difficult).

I recognised a couple more "reworked" areas but I have the impression you made these maps at a later stage because the things you changed and added (probably because you had gained more experience) completely eliminated any deja vu impression I had yesterday. Another nice modification was the mud area in which the payer sank (that was the only time I died :rolleyes: ). Visually and conceptually I wouldn't classify these maps as beginner's maps anymore (not that I did with the first half, but I rank the second half higher). Also, that lava map is very interesting (and I finally learned how to rocketjump in order to get out of a seemingly blocked returnpath - that is after crossing where the Skaarj jumps into the lava).

To end, a slight hiccup in the map with the instakill laser fence. After clearing the buidings I wanted to go op to see if the Skaarj Bomber I had killed had left the RL or some ammo (you need to push a box from inside to outside to get on the roof). It's possible to get into the top lookout, but once inside I couldn't get out (not even with crawling) and I had to ghost.

Summary: the pack starts of too easy but the difficulty increases without ever being unfair. Visually and conceptually there are a couple of waaay above average sections (At first I wrote nearly outstanding, but it's too early for that, I have to replay it first to see how they hold up :wink: ).

If this is really your first attempt at mapping, then: by all means continue mapping : this mappack is exceptional for a firsttimer and it was a thoroughly enjoyable session. :tup: :tup: :tup:

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015, 02:04

Does this only work in 227, or can it also run in UT with the Oldskool mod?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2015, 04:06

Hahahhaa I love the Wall Brute story

Next