UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: UED Game Of Telephone 2015 (OPEN TO ALL)

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 03:52

As I've stated in a PM, I have the ball and have committed over 800 nodes thus far.

The map needs gameplay focus, so my aim is to give the level some combat direction that subsequent mappers can follow and improve.

EDIT: <suggestion removed> I was going to suggest adding some trans logs that might lead to some narrative cohesion to the level, but after rethinking this I believe it best that we let the segments speak for themselves for the time being. Maybe it best we forgo serious trans log material right now and let the evolution of the process do its thing. For this reason i will not be adding trans logs to my segment.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 09:54

Mister_Prophet wrote:As I've stated in a PM, I have the ball and have committed over 800 nodes thus far.

The map needs gameplay focus, so my aim is to give the level some combat direction that subsequent mappers can follow and improve.

EDIT: <suggestion removed> I was going to suggest adding some trans logs that might lead to some narrative cohesion to the level, but after rethinking this I believe it best that we let the segments speak for themselves for the time being. Maybe it best we forgo serious trans log material right now and let the evolution of the process do its thing. For this reason i will not be adding trans logs to my segment.

Excellent!

And yeah, as far as a potential overarching narrative is concerned... better leave that aside for the time being. That way the evolution of the process continues freely (i.e., the next in line doesn't inherit additional creative constraints - the only department that will need obligatory attention throughout is gameplay).

EDIT: To All Participants:
by the way, if you have the ambition and time for a subplot within your section, go for it. Mister_Prophet will not be using trans logs for now because that is not his focus, but that doesn't mean you can't. Depending on how things turn out further downstream, we may figure a way of tying all the segments to an overarching narrative - which is what Mister_Prophet is referring to. Imagination will be key here :)
But that's for later, don't worry about that when you do your section of the map. Remember that you are free to further explore an idea that came before you, if it inspires you. Or you can just go off into another direction. Just remember that if you start some plot point (and you don't bring a conclusion to it), there's no guarantee that it will be taken further after your turn.
And don't be afraid of trying things in the gameplay department, either! if it's unbalanced, we'll fix it later.
Once the actual mapping is more or less done (when we reach 35000-40000 nodes, see rules in the OP), those who are keen can help smooth any rough edges (in the visuals, gameplay... if there are bugs, etc.) and discuss how an overall storyline can be implemented, if possible (which may lead to adding some trans logs throughout the map, or even scripted events, etc.). Any additions to any given segment will be done with the author's assent, of course.
Hope this makes it clear for everyone :) Don't hesitate if you have any other questions/suggestions!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 16:56

While I would always suggest starting a map first with a story and protagonist idea and then building the map around the gameplay, I think it's a refreshing idea and challenge to work with what others have built while keeping in mind that it will still need to be a playable map later on. All that said, I implore the other mappers to keep their fellow mappers in mind when building their sections. For instance, if you build a room, be sure to leave a way for the next mapper to add to it.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 20:07

Doublez-Down wrote:All that said, I implore the other mappers to keep their fellow mappers in mind when building their sections. For instance, if you build a room, be sure to leave a way for the next mapper to add to it.

Yep, otherwise it is likely that the next mapper will be forced to ask your permission to modify a spot of your area in order to create a space to the new section!
What would be funny is if someone makes several potential exits... leaving the next mapper to choose from where to start, and why not take a non-linear approach!
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 21:26

I welcome whatever challenge Master Prophet may bring forth - all for a non-linear approach myself :P

SZ

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 21:46

Hopefully Prophet will set the tone so I can do my personal thing.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2015, 22:47

SteadZ wrote:I welcome whatever challenge Master Prophet may bring forth - all for a non-linear approach myself :P

That's the spirit! :D

UBerserker wrote:Hopefully Prophet will set the tone so I can do my personal thing.

Hehe... I'm certainly curious to see what you'll make, and without trying to guess too far what you've got in mind, I'll just say that gameplay challenges are certainly welcome :wink:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015, 04:52

As of my clock my last day starts in about 9 minutes. I'll probably finish the last room between nine o'clock and two in the afternoon, unless I get overzealous.

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015, 23:07

Okay. Here's some stuff.

Map File:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/34vlq ... ephone.unr

Commentary File:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/b1pow9wua ... entary.txt

Compressed zip for both:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8vpyv ... uedGoT.zip

Some things before we get started. First off, I took the liberty of naming all the zoneinfos so we can better identify areas as they are made and easily identify segments in discussions. I by no means intend to direct the next person to continue into the Demon's Grave, the whole point of adding a terrain zone is that anyone can kind of continue from it in any direction they want. Kind of why there is a bit of temple you can enter. The Terrain is left pretty clean for the next mappers because of this also.

I added some enemies, the first being filtered by difficulty. We may want to consider gametype at some point, as the player NOT having the dispersion pistol by default worries me somewhat.

Okay, lists:

Known Bugs:

-Sometimes you can clip the wall on the way down The Plunge, resulting in death.
-Some roofs and high bits might be accessible via rocket jump.

Added Inventory:

-Automag, ASMD, Eightball added.
-Stinger added on Easier difficulty, acquirable on Harder via drops.
-Seeds and Fruit added for health.
-Armor added.
-Flares and Flashlight added.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015, 23:43

Oh uh cool, The Source v2.
Frankly I'd rather have the map to follow a 100% linear route. One person working for himself on a non-linear map is ok, multiple people would make it lead nowhere.
ImageImage

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015, 23:50

Either way is fine really, I just don't want to force the next person into doing a theme they are not as experienced with or one they would prefer not to do if they had an option.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015, 23:52

It works perfectly fine if the mappers keep an open mind and work in concert with what their predecessor(s) have created :)

Creepy Alien theme... interesting :P

Guess it's my turn to handle this specimen now :D (got some ideas already!!!)

SZ

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 01:56

Mister_Prophet wrote:Okay. Here's some stuff.
(...)

You just made the map awesome, it's so nice to see the map come alive with gameplay! :tup:
Oh, and great commentary by the way! :lol:

I'm really tired from working late so I'll update the readme and the download link for the archive in the OP tomorrow.
Just a couple of remarks:
- how did you rebuild the map? build settings, I mean? when I rebuild all, whether using UED2.0 or UED2.1, the Source-like area comes with massive HOMs. Yet the .unr you uploaded shows no problems.
- I want to rebuild to make those pillars in my section semi-solid, and also to adjust the new zoneinfo in my section to be a fogzone, at the moment it isn't (unlike the old one which got deleted) and part of the "materialising" effect in the teleporter room is lost.

In any case, it's SteadZ's turn!
SteadZ, you have until Wednesday the 25th (midnight) to upload your segment! go nuts :D

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 02:09

I actually had no HOMs or other BSP bugs when rebuilding and making the area, though I built the whole room in pretty much one shot without testing until it was done. I have UED 2.0 set to default sliders and parameters on my laptop, so I couldn't say for sure what's happening. Does anyone else have this problem when they rebuild? It looked fine when I did my last playthrough and uploaded. All in all it was a stable week for me.

If anyone can reproduce Sat's issue please post.

Sat42 wrote:- I want to rebuild to make those pillars in my section semi-solid, and also to adjust the new zoneinfo in my section to be a fogzone, at the moment it isn't (unlike the old one which got deleted) and part of the "materialising" effect in the teleporter room is lost.

This is my fault,. As mentioned in the commentary I saw two zoneinfos in the same zone, so I chose one randomly to delete. If you set the info to Fog=true the effect should work again, correct?

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015, 02:28

I just played through the current version and the first room has some issues with invisible walls around the pillars and BSP issues from certain views, so it does have a few issues even if they're pretty subtle in the download one.
Formerly Mman

Previous Next